called in something odd today

hntnnut

The wife and I went out after work this evening to make a couple of stands. On my first stand we were overlooking a field from a fence line and after about a minute on the caller two young bull elk poped up at about 200 yards. Every time the caller would start up (dying rabbit) they would move closer and by the end of the sequence they were stareing at the e-caller from less than 20 feet which put them at less than 50 yards from us. Watching these two clowns antics started to make the wife laugh out loud which had absolutely no affect on the elk other than giving us a quick looking over. What strange critters have you unentionally called in?

Richard

i think cows are one of the dumbest and certainly the strangest
(but thank God for the big texas ranches...without the cattle ranches i would have nary a parcel to hunt coyotes)

guero

I've had a couple badgers come struttin in before. I remember one a couple years ago that got about 10 ft. from the buissness end of my rifle, had to move to get my rifle pointed in its direction, I thought it was gonna come on over and plop down in my lap, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif not what I wanted, those things are mean and tuff as nails, but when I moved it stopped, checked me out for a bit, turned and went on to another path of destruction.

I have called in a badger before... It enjoyed a 55 grain TBBC just like a coyote would have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Have also called in Mule Deer. The lat Azcoyotehunter and I called in about 18 in one stand, one was a solid 140's or so buck.

Big domestic tom cat. He dis the sneek on me. Noticed his big eyes 4 feet from me ready to pounce. My screams scared him away. Unfortunatly my calling partner has a story to tell for life. That is what makes calling so exiting. The unexpected.

I've had a opossum walk up my leg and a owl swoop down and take my hat off my head. I call the neigbors cat to my shop all the time tuning calls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Owls, hawks, cattle, horses, antelope, deer, jackrabbits, dogs, ravens, crows, shrikes, a rattlesnake, and, on an occassion a coyote. Fox also. Owls are the most aggressive! My wife will no longer ride around at night with the window rolled more than a quarter of the way down, listening for coyotes when we are doing locator work. A great horned owl reached IN through a fully open window one time and tried to remove her head for dinner!! Between its wings whacking stuff, her screaming and swinging and my cussing we finally got it to find dinner elsewhere. Yea, I know, the cussing didn't help a whole lot. This happened 4 years ago. Other than that they(owls) have come at me at sundown 6 different times trying to take me home for dinner as well. ALL of them were great horned owls. The remote caller seems to keep them away from us now..

Quote:
About 18 years ago called in something about 5'2", 8 stone blonde with blue eyes Looked to good to shoot so I married her!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Has the 18 years swayed your opinion? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Some weird animals and birds I have called in include whitetail deer, mule deer, a couple badgers, hawks, golden eagles, and of course bunches of magpies. However, the oddest critter I ever call in was during the 2007-08 fur season when this huge black critter came in and stood with his nose about three feet from my FX3!!! Needless to say, there weren't any coyotes coming in with that brute standing there bellering and grunting.

Bull_Foxpro--small.jpg

JERRY Yeah, we laugh at it today. She STILL keeps that window mostly closed at night though. I get her to go anyway - with the promise that she will get to shoot something sooner or later. We have fun, I'll grant you that!!!

i was on my deer stand bout 3 years ago and i watched a tresspasser park and start a verrryfunny and un sucessful stalk through my woods.

when he went in the deer came wizzin past me at full speed so i put down the bow and grabed my grunt call.

he tippi toed up one side of a draw and back down the other. tippi toe...stop...tippi toe...stop he'd go to his knees and look under the trees, pause and watch for long minutes. it was hard to contain myself.

as he aproached my stand (bout a 100 yrds out) i let go with a grunt that i was sure woke my wife and kids up 8 miles away,and then tried my best not to laugh too hard.

at about 75 yrds he perked alittle to the mega-grunt and you could see his body langue say
"i've done it ... i am the greatest hunter in the world"
i gave him just enough to follow for awhile and then tickled the horns at about 40 or 45 yrds. and then NOTHING!
he stoped and set up for the kill.

he grunted and grunted and rattled for what seemed to be for ever,and when he had given up and started to move again
i gave him the mega-grunt x 100 and droped the antlers from the back side of my tree with a little under brush noise and the thump on the ground.

my stalker wasn't beat yet. that ol buck is commin right to him. he attached his release and wint on point!
after a hundered years or so he decided that it was over and started toward the comotion.
at about 15 yards i gave a soft grunt and he froze solid in his tracks and started scaning with his eyes.he looked at the base of my tree 3 or 4 times before he saw the screw in steps and slowly started looking up and as our eyes met...
GRUUUUUUNNNNNTTTTTT. the super mega-grunt.

i saw a grown man deflate before my every eyes. a true broken spirit i saw that morning. then i realized i was laughing. not a giggle but the kind that you have remind yourself to inhale. he never did find the humor that i did in the whole deal but he did have a few naught words to say. i figured he'd earned em.

luck would have it that he lives in the same small town and i see him all the time. funny though, i never can get him to wave or say hi.
the next year he leased that ground out from under me. i hope has as much fun there as i did.

Over Easter weekend my oldest and I were out on a youth turkey hunt. We got up late and didn't want to bust any birds trying to get into the timber. So we set up about 100yds away from the main patch of timber in a little 3 acre patch of timber that was surrounded by corn stalks. We placed the decoys (2hens and a jake) on the edge of the corn field. I tucked the oldest into a blowdown and I sat about 10 ft farther back into the patch so I could see everything that the kiddo could see. We waited for about 15min. Then started yelpping. Had a couple of toms gobbling good when I looked over my shoulder and a doe and its twins from last year come walking up between myself and Keaton. The marched right out to the decoys. Smelled them and one of the fawns stuck its node right up the jakes but then snorted and went running off. We just about wet out pants from the show we just watched. After about 15 more min of calling keaton said two jakes were walking down the timber line headed to us. So I quit calling because they could see the decoys. Just then they took off running into the timber. So we thought that a long beard had chased them off or they saw a real hen. About a min goes by when up on top of a terrace I see two people in cammo. Just there upper body they were calling it a day headed back to their truck. All of a sudden they stop and look our way. I'm watching them through the bino's and can see them digging in their vest. They get their own binos out and look at the decoys. And look at the decoys for at least 10min. Keaton asked if he should wave at them. I told him to just hold tight. Then we watch them duck down and sneak back to the timber. I watch them through the binos sneak down closer to us then slowly sneak their one decoy out to the edge of the timber about 150yds away from us. They wait a couple of min and start yelping as loud as they could. Mind you our decoys had not moved from the same spot for over 20min. They call and call and call some more. And finally after about 15min more they finally came to the conclussion that those must be decoys because we watched the dad stand up walk out and rip their decoy off the stake and slam it into his vest and both he and his boy go stomping over the hill. Keaton said to me "Boy, Dad he sure looked pissed." I told Keaton that he must have been a rookie to have sood on the hill, watch for 15min and not have what they thought were 3 turkeys not more for that time and the set up and call to those same turkeys for another 10-15min has got tobe pissed at himself. What a memory. I wish I could have heard what they were saying to each other the whole time.

A flock of common redpolls.
They flew around my electronic call for a few minutes
and left just before the dead coyote walking showed up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Back