Kid Goat in Distress Hand Call

MOFarmBoy

My brother has 300 nanny goats to work on the brush at the family ranch. They'll start kidding next week and you know what they say. They're like popcorn - Coyotes can't eat just one! He's lost several over the years where the nanny won't join the group before dark when she's kidding so the dogs can watch over them. The pasture is just too big.

I don't have an electronic caller and was wondering if anyone has a preference for the most realistic production or custom hand call for a Kid Goat in Distress sound. The calls I have don't sound quite right for it, but they're probably close enough.

Thanks for the help.

Brandon Boyd (rbboyd) in the Custom Calls was working on trying to perfect a goat distress a while back.
I'm not sure if he ever got it figured out.
He's been busy with work & hasn't been around much.
But his contact info is in the Custom Calls.

There's getting to be more & more goat raisers in my neck of the country too. I've been trying to figure out the sound, but I just haven't spent enough time around goats to get it anywhere close.

I feel that it's more of the technique on the call than the actual call that you need. After reading your post, I went out to my shop and blew on a couple of my open reed and closed reed calls and came pretty close to mimicking the various kid goat distress sound files on Foxpro's website. Close enough that a coyote would come check it out. I'd focus on a high pitched and raspy call that is easy to blow so you can easily chuckle in it for the distinct goat sound.

Hope this helps...

Tony

Its more about technique than it is the actual call. I hunt and trap a ranch that runs 5000 nannies. I have made successful kid goat distress with 'tweety' and critr call 'peewee'. Remember, it doesnt have to sound exactly like a kid goat. If there are kids hitting the ground, the coyotes will be in the area.

Maintain

When it comes to goats you need to be ready to shoot feral dogs. It has been my experience that stray dogs will take and kill more goats than Yotes. These demons kill and leave them laying just for the kill. Sometimes the Yote will clean up the messes left behind the **** stray dogs. I like hunting when they say all K-9!

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ulramag

Quote:
tony
why don't you post the sound you are making with your calls

would love to hear it

guero

I went out in the shop and recorded these real quick. I did it on one of my closed reed calls and two of my open reed calls. Little tricky to do something that sounds like goat distress when you are a straight up cottontail and jackrabbit distress blower. I don't think I could do it for an entire stand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here you go:

Kid Goat - Closed Reed (PreyPanic II call)

Kid Goat - Open Reed (TT Mini call)

Kid Goat - Open Reed (TT Extreme call)

Tony

Thanks guys. I think I'll just practice more with what I've got. Thanks for the sounds Tony. I'm not too far off now.

We don't have much of a problem with dogs. They usually get taken care of rather quickly. The goat dogs also see to that, but they can't be everywhere at once.

The recordings I did aren't perfect, but that's the good thing...they don't need to be. If I was a coyote, I'd defintately go and check out what was squalling.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tony

Those recordings, like a goat, has that quivering (or bleating, or oscillation) in the sound.
I notice that Les Johnson of Predator Quest uses quivering sounds at times, when he's doing rabbit distress bawls. Does the quivering with rabbit sounds improve the chances of calling in yotes? Seems to for Les Johnson.

The quivering may add a bit of more realism or panic to the distress bawls, similar to how rasp works, possibly bringing a coyote to come charging in faster than a typical "Wa-Wa". But....I believe Les's success (like most callers) has more to due with accessing good land, predator population and stand setups...way more than the actual calling.

Tony

Quote:
The quivering may add a bit of more realism or panic to the distress bawls, similar to how rasp works, possibly bringing a coyote to come charging in faster than a typical "Wa-Wa". But....I believe Les's success (like most callers) has more to due with accessing good land, predator population and stand setups...way more than the actual calling.

Tony

That is a secret key seldom revealed when discussing the art of Coyote hunting!

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag

Hi lads, first post so be gentle!

I think the thing with prey calls is to know whether the prey you are mimicking is in distress or simply calling for the rest of the herd or for mummy because its isolated. If it is in distress put yourself in it's place and remember it's probably calling for its life so that panic must reflect in the call, if its calling because it's isolated it's not so much panic but an gentler oscillation to show worry or nerves.

FS

Thanks weasel, I just find some electronic calls and indeed some people are a little to repetitious with their calling and I don't know of any animal which squeals like a metrodome ( constant beat and timing)!!

Back