I've had three different .221s over the years, and I should have my butt kicked for getting rid of any of them. I had a Rem 700 Classic, LVSF, and a custom Model Seven. They were tough on groundhogs and crows, but the predators wouldn't cooperate (cowards). I'd really like to see Remington chamber the Model Seven in .221. Its a great caliber!
Jazzball

I only recently started working with a fireball. Mine is a rem 700 stainless.
I have been a huge fan of the 22 hornet for years, so I got the fireball to make some comparisons after many recommendations. My thoughts so far are that the fireball is not nearly as finicky to reload with a much better useful bullet selection. The brass should last longer, but that is a good thing because it is twice as expensive as hornet brass.
Factory hornet ammo is available about everywhere, but fireball ammo can be hard to come by. If reloading, I would seriously consider the fireball. If only shooting factory production, I would probably get something else.

It is just my opinion, but there seems to be a jump in noise level when shooting the fireball (yes, I know there is only a few grains difference, but my perception is that there is a definite spike in noise level).

As far as the gun, I really like the 700 action and mine is the lvsf model, so it is very light and makes for a great calling rifle.

it is a great round. I have a CZ527 and love it its accurate and has plenty of killing power. Its now my fav gun I use it most every time out. Most people use the 40gr balistic tips and three powders will keep coming up as you research the round lilgun,RL7,and AA1680. I use AA1680 40gr vmax and it does the trick. I have used it on every thing from coyotes on down. I have read the you can get out to 300-350yrds on PD and such varmints. the best I have done was a coyote at 211yrds and it was DRT. Most evrey one who has one will tell you its just plane fun to shoot. I dont think you will regret getting one.

Last edited:
I don`t own a .221 fireball, but i do own it`s little cousin the .20 vartarg and i love it.....

It`s rapidly becoming my go-to gun...i`m toying with the idea of buying a .221 but i may get another .20VT instead...

I don`t think you could go wrong either way...

Phil.

I love the 221FB, I am also starting to grow real fond of the 17FB, Now I am working on a cousin of the 221 the 20VT. I have my 221's on a steady diet of 40gr, V-Maxes at 3450fps. All are fun shooters, all are flat deadly on prairie dogs, which is what I got them for. When I drag these out of the truck....they turn pale looking, start to shiver and run, the ones still standing are frozen in fear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Both are Coopers, the top one is a Montana Varminter, AAA wood, fluted barrel, steel grip cap, a sweetheart of a rifle. On the bottom is her sister, a regular Varminter, other than a fairly nice stick of wood its just plain no extra options.

DSC00479.jpg

I have a couple of them. One is a Rem 700 classic in 221 F.B. and the secound one is a Rem 700 custom build with a fluted barrel. Its a clone to a Rem. Sendero.

Oh good! Another Furball inquiry. Excellent!

I want others to become as enamored and I am of the little round. I want them to likewise buy 8 pound jugs of Lil' Gun and primers by the 5 thousand and 40 and 50 grain cast off 'seconds from whatever supplier that they can find. I want them to spend hours every cold winter night sizing and trimming and deburring brass. I want their flashloles cleaner then my ashhole. I want them loading those little bullets into cleaned and sized brass cases with CCI BR primers loaded into each and every spotless round. THEN, after the rounds are checked for overall length will it be before they are ever checked at the range. You set up the bench and thud the sandbags down. After shuffling down to the 100 yard backstop you staple several targets to the boards. You walk back to your bench and after getting you scope adjusted for where you want it to hit, you try your 1st three shots. The 1st shot makes you laugh because you knew that it was going to be mild but still it suprised you. Then you hunker down and send another bullet down and suddenly wonder if you did indeed fire because there is but one hole on the target. Or so it seems. You drop one more shiny and stuby round into the chamber and it rattles home with a "chink!"as you push the bolt in and lock it. You scrunch back down over the eyepiece of your new scope and you wonder if you can do it one more time. You do, and then you do it twice more for a total of 5 shots into a hope you cant shove your pinkie in without tearing the paper. At that time, right then, you know you have yourself a keeper delux.

The Furballs will do that to you. Screw Obama. I got enough Lill' Gun and primers and bullets and brass to shoot for years. And with God as my witness, I'm a gonna to you just wait and see!

Quote:
Oh good! Another Furball inquiry. Excellent!

I want others to become as enamored and I am of the little round. I want them to likewise buy 8 pound jugs of Lil' Gun and primers by the 5 thousand and 40 and 50 grain cast off 'seconds from whatever supplier that they can find. I want them to spend hours every cold winter night sizing and trimming and deburring brass. I want their flashloles cleaner then my ashhole. I want them loading those little bullets into cleaned and sized brass cases with CCI BR primers loaded into each and every spotless round. THEN, after the rounds are checked for overall length will it be before they are ever checked at the range. You set up the bench and thud the sandbags down. After shuffling down to the 100 yard backstop you staple several targets to the boards. You walk back to your bench and after getting you scope adjusted for where you want it to hit, you try your 1st three shots. The 1st shot makes you laugh because you knew that it was going to be mild but still it suprised you. Then you hunker down and send another bullet down and suddenly wonder if you did indeed fire because there is but one hole on the target. Or so it seems. You drop one more shiny and stuby round into the chamber and it rattles home with a "chink!"as you push the bolt in and lock it. You scrunch back down over the eyepiece of your new scope and you wonder if you can do it one more time. You do, and then you do it twice more for a total of 5 shots into a hope you cant shove your pinkie in without tearing the paper. At that time, right then, you know you have yourself a keeper delux.

The Furballs will do that to you. Screw Obama. I got enough Lill' Gun and primers and bullets and brass to shoot for years. And with God as my witness, I'm a gonna to you just wait and see!

+++++++ 1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I just put the WO TAC scope on the 221 furball for testing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Man I love this little gun it will shoot 1 holers all day, just as Rustydust said with the lilgun powder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif and its cheap to shoot 16 grains of Lil gun pushing a 40 grain V max and watch out prairie dogs this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you get one Fred, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.. Kerry

"Long Live the Fireball...!!!" I have a 700 classic in 221 now, but also had a custom Bullberry Encore barrel for several years. Took several whistlepigs with that rifle. Longest shot was 225 yards. The 40 gr Nosler bal-tip never exited that hog, but when I picked him up, his innards were jello. Mine loves RL#7 powder & shoots both 40 - 50 gr into tiny little groups. No recoil, light report, & the case is just so dang cute. What's not to love about the fireball? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HS

I shoot a furballer on a Contender frame. Short rifle, long pistol. Excellent medium range prairie dog gun. Plenty accurate out to 250 yds. and probably more. RL-7, 40 gr. Vmax and a BR4 primer is my standard and only load. In fact I have several hundred cases prepped waiting for delivery on bullets.

I've only had my 221 Fireball (aka Furball)Rem 700 LVSF for a little over a year now but it has become one of my favorites. I've only used it on groundhogs and crows so far at which it does a great job. It's mild recoil makes seeing your hits (or misses) easy to see and it's easy to reload for. Mine likes Sierra 40 gr. BK's. RL #7 and CCI BR 4 primers.

I can't imagine not having it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'm another one with a CZ 527 in the furball. It's just like my pocket knife, I don't go anywhere without it. Well, that is a stretch, but I do use it a bunch.

Mine has a synthetic stock and a 3x9 Leupold Ultra-light on top. You could say it don't weigh much. It's a dream to carry and a real tack driver.

Like many others, mine loves a diet of 40gr. BTs and Lil'gun. I also found that the factory stuff from HSM loaded with 42gr Calhoons shoots fantastic.

My poor Hornet sits in the safe now.

I've heard that Remington dropped the 221 Fireball and the 17 Remington both from their offerings in 2009 line, since the added the half breed of the two, the 17 Fireball.

I just went through Remington's entire 2009 lineup on their website, nothing is offered in 221 Fireball this year.

Last edited:
Rem probaly did drop it. I know you can still find the remmys on gunbroker and places like that. For the money I dont think you can beat the CZ527

Quote:
Rem probaly did drop it. I know you can still find the remmys on gunbroker and places like that. For the money I dont think you can beat the CZ527

I have had both and I will have to agree with this as well. Heck, that nifty set trigger that the CZ has is almost enough reason right there!

all the cz 527 do. People make a big deal about the backward saftey but once you get one and use it its not that bad. Some one wrote that its just like having a gun you have to pull the hammer back before you shoot. If you dont like the mag sticking down there is a place that will make it a 3 round mag and mill the trigger gurad down.

Back