Choke for FliteControl wads?

unloaded

Anybody used any turkey loads with the flitecontrol wads? I'm looking at the Heavyweight's 3-1/2" probably #6 shot. I've read conflicting advice on chokes, some use turkey chokes and others swear an IC works better with these wads. At $5 a shot I don't want to do a whole lot of patterning if I can avoid it. Maybe I should buy a few boxes of the lead ones first to get an idea of which the wad likes? Let me know your experience with them.

peace.
unloaded

Just don't get a choke that has ports or a wad stripper.

That turkey load is that expensive? I know they are great loads, but that's pretty high.

The Heavy Weight Coyote 3" mags are about 2.50 per shotshell..
That extra 1/2 inch must put them through the roof. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Barry

I put them through a half dozen different chokes before giving up on them.

Now I'm shooting an Indian Creek with 3.5" - 2.25oz Hevi #6's. I'm getting 200-215 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards out of my bone stock 870 SPS Shurshot, significantly better than any other load I've tried except the Nitro's that are half full of #7's and a LOT more $$. I've dumped 2 birds out past 40 yards now with it, and also patterned it out to 60 yards, it's consistenly a 60 yard turkey gun with this load/choke combo based on the patterns I've shot with it.

I've shot 3" Fed turkey lead with flight control. Use my turkey choke on them. They work great ! That big wad does come out a little harder.

I have the briley extended turkey choke in my SBE and the 31/2 shoot great. #5 I get about 120 pellets in the kill zones. Most of the time the wad shoots through the target at 40 yrds.

I have used them for the past 3 seasons and not one turkey has kicked.

Indian Creek makes a non-wad stripping Black Diamond Strike that would be my first choice for the Flite Control loads. My Indian Creek BDS has really been impressing me with Hevi13 turkey loads. The combination of the BDS and Hevi13 has vastly outshot my trusted Kick's Gobblin' Thunder and Winchester Supreme High Velocity lead loads. The improvement isn't a little - it is a lot and I've switched over completely from my old standard.

Thanks for the comments guys.
MNDog, are you shooting the lead or heavy weights?
GC, here is why I'm confused, on the BDS page:

**DO NOT USE FEDERAL FLIGHT CONTROL Heavy Loads. Manufacturer does not recommend use with Ported Choke Tubes such as the Black Diamond Strike.**

I looked on Federal's site and couldn't find anywhere that said that, they even have a FAQ's page for the FliteControls!? If I'm reading the Indian Creek site right, they only offer the Inv+ model #0006 as a non-ported one? I need the Moss/Win/Inv model #0001. Which looks to be only available in .660" I see they recommend .665" for the Hevi13. The more I learn the less I know. Maybe I should mention this will be my first year turkey hunting. Probably won't even get one into shooting range, but I'd like something reliable just in case.

peace.
unloaded

I can't help ya with the Federal Heavyweight, but the Flight Control lead loads shoot real good in my 835 with the ported tube, same for my huntin partner's Mossy 500 ported tube, don't know which one he's using though. If you go with the Indian Creek, I found a much better price on it than from the Mfr.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/indiancreek2.asp

I also found threads like this one that some had great patterns with ported tubes, others didn't.

http://cabinchat.primos.com/index.php?showtopic=52573

I'm shooting a 20ga H&R this year with a .582" Undertaker and the Flight Control lead #5 1½oz loads, makes a deadly pattern at 35yds, the wads fall just a couple feet in front of the target. FWIW, the wads from my partner's 12ga mossy 500 went beyond the target at 35yds, but none hit the target. I checked the 20ga pattern at 25yds just to see how tight it was, 90% of the #5 shot were in a pattern just 6" wide, didn't look for the wad on that one, but it didn't hit the target either.

unloaded,
The Flite Control wad is designed to stay with the shot and hold it together. A wad stripping choke works against the very design of the load. Indian Creek will gladly make you a non-wad catching technology choke tube just for the Flite Control load. Personally... I'm not convinced the Flite Control wad is worth the trouble. A special non-wad stripping choke isn't going to be as versatile for other loads you might want to try. If it were me, I'd go the easy way with a proven recipe. For a 3" .12 ga. the .665" BDS and the bronze Hevi 13 3-2-6 load is a winner in just about everyones rig that gives it a try. My 3" .12 gauge Benelli M1S90 with .665" BDS and H13 3-2-6 averages 172 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. That is a turkey shredder! Other guys are getting even better than that, but my barrel is stock and isn't always squeaky clean. I'm good with the way it shoots, any gobbler within a step or two of 50 yards one way or the other is in serious trouble. My wifes little youth model short barrel .20 gauge with her BDS .555" and the 3" Hevi 13 1 1/4 ounce of #6's gives 127 hits in the 10" @ 40 yards. That ain't bad performance from a 21" barrel little .20 gauge.

I think GC has hit the nail on the head with his recommendations, and I have several buddies shooting the load/choke combo I listed with the same results I have had.

I personally have tested just about every variation of Flite Control loads out there, in about a half dozen chokes. I wasn't able to even come close to what I'm getting with the Indian Creek/Hevi 2.25oz #6 loads. If I remember correctly, the flite control loads were somewhere in the 100-130 pellet count range. My current setup is putting almost 2x the lead into that same circle.

Last edited:
You guys about have me convinced, the only thing troubling me is the BDS for my gun, Moss 535, is .660" instead of .665" should I worry about the difference? I've got the .660" ported choke that came with it, guess it won't hurt to give it a try with the Hevi13's. Gonna have to order them online so it'll be a bit before I can post results. Thanks for the help.

peace.
unloaded

Quote:
You guys about have me convinced, the only thing troubling me is the BDS for my gun, Moss 535, is .660" instead of .665" should I worry about the difference? I've got the .660" ported choke that came with it, guess it won't hurt to give it a try with the Hevi13's. Gonna have to order them online so it'll be a bit before I can post results. Thanks for the help.

peace.
unloaded

I would call them and ask. I don't remember the guys name, but I think one of their reps is on the NWTF forums and has offered advice there several times, they seem pretty open to pointing people in the right direction.

I don't really like shooting it, but it certainly gets the job done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I usually only shoot it 1-2x before season to make sure it's still on, and then a small handfull of times in the field per year, so it's no big deal I guess.

Unfortunately I sent the rings off to be camo dipped last summer, and I've just remounted the scope since I got them back. Now I gotta start from scratch on sighting it back in. I'm not really looking forward to that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I shoot the flite control with 3" #5 lead. I have had different luck then most with the 2 tubes I tried it in. I have both a hastings .665 and a Rem. Ex Turky .685 (I think) with both being nonported. I had better patterns with thr Rem choke. The patterns were not much tighter but more evenly spred out. When using non flite control the Hastings is usually much tighter and pretty consistant. I think you should try the choke you have and go from there. You will just have to see what your gun likes.
Good luck
Mark

I ordered 3 boxes of the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #6, also a box of each Mag-Shok lead w/Flitecontrol lead 3" 2oz #5 and #6, just to see how they do. If they don't like my ported choke and barrel I'll give them to my buddy. Thanks for all the comments.

peace.
unloaded

When you pattern at least once try the Flite Control through your factory flush mount full choke - just to see what happens. Ya never know...

I shoot the FC 3" #5 in my 870 with an unmarked extended ported choke tube. At 40 yards on a turkey target, the head is completely obliberated with the upper body taking a massive dose of #5's. I have taken 2 birds with this combo-25 & 32 yds-can you say jellyheads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back