What is the best powder for 22-250

I don't know what 22-250 case your using but the most Varget I can get into a completely full case is 43gr. I'm sure your 58.5gr is an error. Maybe 38.5?

58.5g in a 250 case??? I'm sure its a typo.

Either way, 4150fps from a 22-250/55g bullet is not realistic either, unless you have what about a 40" bbl?? Thats a good 400fps faster then what they should be doing.

I'm not stupid enough to try it, I know better and I know BS when I read it.

Quote:
I shoot 58.5 gr varget with 55gr horhady v-max bullets chronagraphs at 4125-4150fps.I like it. Try for yourself at your own risk.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You might want to check your scale and chrono because something sounds a little funky with your information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think 2ndchance is not only trying to pull the wool over our eyes but the whole sheep.....if that wasn't a typo 2ndchance....then you're full of crap. Sorry I had to say it cause nobody else would. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
BTW, my load for my 22-250 is 38 Gr. H380, 50 Gr. Hornady V-Max. OAL 2.380 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
I'm on my fourth 22-250 and all but one were very accurate out of the box. The one that wasn't was turned into an exceptional shooter by my gunsmith.

I've had excellent results with several powders with H380 probably leading the rest but since I shoot in temps ranging from 100+ degrees to 0- degrees I decided to go with something else. Right now I'm shooting 52 grain Berger Match Varmints backed with IMR4320 and it's a very accurate and effective load. My next favorite is IMR4895 but for some reason my Kimber just doesn't like it. I've had excellent accuracy results with Varget but the velocity isn't up to my standards. I found that a 55 grain Nosler BalTip and a max load of Benchmark gives both great accuracy and velocity. The 50 grain Nosler BT is almost as accurate and the velocity is great.

As already stated there are a number of very good powders for the 22-250. I never got to the point of trying IMR4064 but I probably will very soon.

Besides the excellent powders already mentioned, AA 2230 and Ramshot Exterminator work well as utilitarian ball powders in the 22/250 w/ 40 grain bullets...accuracy is good and loading with a powder measure is enhanced.

Both of these powders are ideal with the .223, but they do quite well in the 22/250, especially w/ 40-50 gr. bullets.

Back