What is the best powder for 22-250

Canada

I realize that each gun is different and what works for one gun might not work in others but if others are having great success with a powder there is a good chance the it might
work for me. When I started to work up a load for my 250 I looked on the predator calling page and Varget seemed to be the favorite powder for the 250. When I look here on the reloading page there was quite a few posts that said they were not having much luck with Varget. I thought that if I asked I would maybe get the knowledge of an lot of very experienced shooters here on this page. I have a Tikka lite with 1 in 14 twist and will probably be shooting 50 or 55 gn v-max or 52 gn burger match. What powder would you guys
suggest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Jim

I have been shooting a Savage 112R in 22-250 since I bought it new in 1980. It is topped with a then new also Weaver T-16 series scope. 1 in 12" twist and after much testing back then (Varget wasen't even thought of then) I setteled on a load of 35.5gr IMR 4320 w/CCI BR2 primers and a Sierra Blitz King bullet. Cronos at 3600fps for less then

IMR 4064 has been my favorite for the last 20+ years in the 22-250. My latest 22-250 didn't seem to like it. I ran some RL 15 and was literally blown away with the accuracy and velocity.

Either one of these powders should work in that bullet range.

I have had good luck with IMR-4895 from 40g-55g bullets. Accuracy and velocity has been good from my old winchester sporter and my dads ruger target. Its the only powder we have ever tried untill just recently.

I just got a browning 22-250 and my store only had W760, so thats what I'm using as of right now from my rifle. My dad still uses 4895. Its not what I wanted, but it seems to work ok. I didn't wanna get to in depth with it because I dont plan on sticking with it once this pound runs out. I'm shooting 41.5g of W760 underneath a 50g vmax in winchester brass and winchester LR primers for around 3800fps and .5" at 100 yards. I have since picked up a pound of IMR-4895 and H380 to try out with the 50's as well. I also might try all 3 powders with some 55g vmax as well. Trying to find that perfect "killer" load!!

Theres A LOT of powders that work great in the 250. IMR4895, H4895, RL-15, IMR4064, IMR3031, Varget, H380, W748 and W760 to name some of the better ones.

H380 works for me for the past 25 years. Try IMR3031 it works good in my Win model 70 varmint special.

Quote:
I realize that each gun is different and what works for one gun might not work in others but if others are having great success with a powder there is a good chance the it might
work for me. When I started to work up a load for my 250 I looked on the predator calling page and Varget seemed to be the favorite powder for the 250. When I look here on the reloading page there was quite a few posts that said they were not having much luck with Varget. I thought that if I asked I would maybe get the knowledge of an lot of very experienced shooters here on this page. I have a Tikka lite with 1 in 14 twist and will probably be shooting 50 or 55 gn v-max or 52 gn burger match. What powder would you guys
suggest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Jim

There are a large number os "Best Powders" for the 22-250. The one that's best in your rifle is what's important, not what's best in someone else's rifle.
The usual suspect powders for a 22-250 are; H-380, IMR 4064, Varget, IMR 4320, Benchmark, and some guys are getting good results with RL-15, which I've never tried.
There may be other powders guys are using in their 22-250's that are equally as good as the ones I mention.
My 22-250 shoots Benchmark best, with Varget right behind. 32.6 grains of Benchmark with 55 grain bullets and Federal 210M primers delivers 1/4" groups at 100 yards, using a 36x scope for load developing. Varget shoots 3 shots into 3/8" groups at 100 yards, not enough difference to quibble about.
I can live comfortably with either powder and the accuracy each delivers.

Martyn

I stumbled onto my 22-250's favorite load by accident. It loves 35 gr of N540 pushing a 50 gr Blitzking. Little tiny groups and very consistent.

Just like the Nosler book states as most accurate combo.. Big Game 37.5 with a 55 grain ballistic tip.. the right over all for MY gun was 2.240

Last edited:
I like Win 760 with the 55's as a first choice because it will usually get 150+ fps in the accuracy load than many of the other powders with the 55g Bullets.

IMR4064, H4895, AA2700, have worked extremely well for me.

A case completely full of IMR 4350 worked well with the 55's, 39.0g with a Win primer, 55's.

Good luck!

I used IMR4064 for a long time with good success, but noticed the same loads were a little hotter in July and August. Switched to Varget a few years ago as it seems to be a little less temperature sensitive and shoots very well also.

IMR-4064 is what I use to reload for a buddy's Savage 12BVSS 22-250. 36.5gr of 4064, Hornady 55gr V-Max, Winchester brass, CCI primers, produce consistent sub-.75" groups, with sub-.5" groups on a regualr basis, when I am shooting his rifle.

Max loads of Win 760 and RL15 yield top velocities in a 26" barrel with 55 grain VMaxes. I strongly suspect you wouldn't have much difficulty finding a sweet spot with either.

Mike

Back