jagdterriers

utahnate

Hi all, i just wanted to here some of you guys thoughts on jagdterriors? I'm thinking of buying some for blood trailing and trap line work. Maybe even some coyote, decoy and tolling work.
The kennel im really taking a liking to is the Jones Knitehunt Kennel out of Missouri. They seem to breed some good Jagd's.
Nate

I have one and am getting another next month. Great hunting dogs have alot of hunt and kill drive. I have used mine for blood trailing, he found my buddys eight point buck when he was 8 months old. I started training him when he was 6 weeks old he does very well. I use him for phesant hunting, retreiving doves and hunting critters, coon, fox, possum and anything else he can find to kill. As for a decoy dog, I know there are alot better dog breeds for that. Jagd terriers have a one track mind when they see something they want to sink their teeth into, and seem to me like they could be pretty hard to train to call off a critter. Just my opinion. As for a trap line dog they would be awsome. They are a dog with alot of energy and need to be hunted or ran in the woods alot, or they will find other ways to burn that energy, usally not good ways. If you have any other questions or want to talk Jagd's send me a PM. Also DTOM has two litter mates to my dog,and is very knowledgable on the breed. He also has a cur he decoys with. May be someone else to talk to. Good Luck.

I'd stay away from Jones and their Kennels. Do some more research but it's pretty much fact in the jagd circles that the Jones are a puppy mill that don't truely test their dogs, they have like 40 of them. Doesn't mean you won't get a good dog or that they have never produced a good dog but the odds are not on your side. Don't base your dog buying decsions on websites or fancy sales talk. You'd be better off to talk with Jagd owners and see who they recommend. It may take some time to show them you have a genuine intrest before they open up to you. Terrier hunters tend to be an inclusive group.

As for your other questions...Jagds have a VERY high prey drive and need to be hunted HARD repeatly. Not just bloodtrailing, althought they excel at following up trails. I use mine on the trapline to follow drags and they do pretty well at locating and holding coyotes. As far a decoy work, there are MUCH better breeds to get. I have used mine with my fully trained decoy dogs and my male does alright but not what a good cur or even my DD and GWP's do. My female is too hard and her only focus is on the kill. If you have a intrest in only bloodtrailing and trapline with a little decoying I would point in in the direction of the curs.

What I mostly use mine for is denning both coyotes and coons, hunting old houses, barns and brushpiles. I also use them for go to ground work on foxes and ground hogs. I also run them in the timber kinda like a hound but not as far ranging. They are silent on track but open up when they see game so they catch quite a few on the ground. The little dogs really live to fight and don't seem to be happy unless thats what they spend their time doing. They can be hard headed SOB's and really take a exp. trainer to get the most out of them. They can be obiedient and great companions if you put the time and effort into their training and use a firm hand when ever they step out of line. Aggression can be another problem but once again if you give them something to focus on they can be great dogs.

Feel free to ask me any other questions. Here's some more boards that have quite a few exp. Jagd owners.

http://jagineb.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Great board with some very exp hunters.

http://huntingterriers.proboards.com/index.cgi

Newer board but is starting to get a good following.

Hope this helps.

Tim

I have a female jagd, and I haven't really been into the breed very long at all... but I couldn't see my jagd EVER living in peace with cats. She treed my brother in law's ratty nappy cat a couple of days after I got her.

Sean

When I got my first Jagd, we had cats. LOL. Now we don't. I can tell you that there are very few places a cat can get that a jagd can't. The cats got smart dealing with the curs but there was always someplace that they could go to get away, Not so with the Jagds. They are some driven SOB's.

Tim

Yeah... I used to have a boxer that loved people . Loved everybody, except anything on 4 legs . I came home for lunch one day and glanced out in the backyard, saw something weird . Looked again and realized I was looking at cat guts strewn from one side of the yard to the other. Seemed one of the neighborhood cats had decided to take a short-cut thru our yard, and our Boxer caught him.

I really don't want that to happen to Alissa's persian or Aeryn Brooke's calico. So.... probably no jagd's for us. Every other dog I 've been able to break it from treeing Mr. Whiskers early on.... I get the feeling no such luck with a jagd.

I'll toss in a few words here. I have a female and she'll be with me till she dies. I've also been around a some other Jagds a time or too. That being said, hunting terriers in general, and Jagds specifically, aren't for everyone. As a matter of fact, they are a perfect dog for a very select few and rotten for the rest. IMO, Curs and even Labs are a better "everymans" dog. You mentioned blood trailing and trapline work. I don't think you could keep a Jagd happy just doing those. On a trapline it will want to attack every critter in a trap. You can break it of this or you can just leave it in the truck but that goes against their instincts and makes jagds less than ideal for this work. They need hunted and hunted lots. If you don't they'll do it on their own.

Jagds look like the perfect breed on paper and the internet. And when it comes to a combination of grit and nose they are tops. But they do have drawbacks that are hard to describe on here. I bought into the hype about these dogs being a great "versatile" dog. Can they do a lot of different things, yes. Are they great or even good at most of em, no. At least not with a bunch of work. My suggestion is you find someone with Jagds and see how they hunt em. See how they work and do it more than once, twice, three times, etc. Unless you have been around the breed some you will not know what they can and can't do and you may have to adjust "your" hunting to "the Jagds" style. If I had to guess, I'd say 90% of Jagd owners use em for den dogs 90% of the time. Being and trail/tree dog guy that's been hard for me. Go see some in action and then decide. If you don't have access to some Jagds to see in action I wouldn't recommend one. They are, shall I say, unique. Know what your getting first.

BTW, mine is great in the house and cats are vermin to her, my feist and me.

Used to have them. Don't anymore. DTOM summed it all up in his first post. They also like to run. And run they do. You will have to break them of EVERY critter you don't want them to run. Some can be VERY dog aggressive. And with all my heart, I second passing on Knitehunt kennel. I was offered a Croatian import from Sharon for free and passed and man am I glad I did. They have according to sources, 30-50 dogs. I don't know how true that is, but I will tell you what, I have 8 terriers of my own and a lurcher and it is HARD to keep that many WORKING terriers WORKING. They are peddlers and just want your cash. Check with guys who hunt and they will tell you were to get them from....If they don't, ask me and I will. There are a few good guys who hunt hard and work their dogs regularly enough to see if they are even worth breeding. I even know a couple right by you in Utah/Idaho.

Rolly

I also have a line on terriers, that I will "stake my name on" I don't hunt them, they don't suit me, but I have freinds that hunt them all the time, and breed some great dogs.If you want a pup,pm me I'll set you up with a hunter.(not a breeder).

The first time I had an experiance with a Jadgterrier was in Alabama hunting hogs. A buddy of mine has one that he uses to hunt hogs along with a couple of Catahula dogs. The Catahula dogs don't bark while running a hog, they only bark when they have the hog at bay. So he has the Jadgterrier as the noise maker. She barks as soon as she see a hog and doesn't stop untill the hog is down. That little dog has more heart and drive than most dogs I've ever seen. I don't have a lot of experiance with that breed but I sure was impressed. That little dog doesn't know the meaning of backing off or backing down. She would sail on a hog five times her size without even thinking about it. We ran her all day untill all of us were dead tired. The next day she was ready to go again just like the Energizer Bunny. Good Luck with your choice.

I dont know whos vid that is that deerassassin posted. I am not running that terrier down. You folks think that dog has heart. He never once tryed grabbing that hog. All he did was bay at it.
I know hogs are mean and dogs have to be carful around them.
But so is a coyote in a hole with a terrier. i have a Terrier thats been in a hole many times with a coyote and he dont just bay at it.
if he was on a hog he might do a little baying but he would only bay until he got a shot to get ahold of the hog.
He probly wouldnt keep his hold but he wouldnt quit either.
Like i said i am not running that Terrier down cause thats what some folks like.
Mine better be trying to take hold.

Vargy

Most terriers have to have balls to do what they are expected to do. The ones that don't end up making the one way walk over the hill.

Vargy has some knock down butt-kicking dogs.

Tim

Back