Coyote @ 5 yards with HM2

Logan

First off im not trying to say that the HM2 is a good rifle for coyote hunting I have a homebuilt AR15 chambered in .204 that works much better and is my goto gun for coyote.
But today while sitting in a natural blind setting, I had 2 coyotes come in, at one point 1 was about 3-4 yards to my right. They came in from behind me right after some deer spooked off from same general direction. The one that was right next to me moved past my right shoulder and started veering forward right, I seen my chance to remove my rifle from shooting sticks and poke thru opening and shot him in the neck at 5 yards.
He dropped right there kicked very momentarily and never moved from that spot. I was thourally impressed and will not hesitate to use the HM2 again at close range. The other coyote started to come closer then spooked and ran off, i barked and she stopped and turned but by then she was about 60 yards away and thru brush, Too far for me to comfortably shoot coyote with hm2 anyway. If i was positioned that direction to begin with and open shooting lane I quite possibly could of got them both, the 2nd didnt even run after shot and kept coming closer.

The first pic shows were im shooting from, there's a green arrow were yote was when I shot it looks farther in photo but its only 5 yards 6 yards max. The second photo is exit wound and converted Ruger 10/22 to HM2.

506295575_3dzvc-M.jpg

Shooting Position

506318007_QbrJY-M.jpg

Exit Wound And 10/22 Rifle Converted To .17 HM2

506336167_BFh5t-M.jpg

A couple of buddies of mine shot yotes with a 22 pistol, both were close also. No issues with either one of them, as far as lethality goes. Its all shot placement.

good job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Are those homemade shooting sticks? They look like golf clubs.

Quote:
A couple of buddies of mine shot yotes with a 22 pistol, both were close also. No issues with either one of them, as far as lethality goes. Its all shot placement.

good job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Are those homemade shooting sticks? They look like golf clubs.

Thanks!
Yeah those are homemade shooting sticks from golf clubs. Good Call /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
The second photo is exit wound and converted Ruger 10/22 to HM2

If the coyote came in from behind and right of youre stand then the hole on the coyotes neck is not a exit wound but rather a surface splash.. Good shooting anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
I seen my chance to remove my rifle from shooting sticks and poke thru opening and shot him in the neck at 5 yards.
He dropped right there kicked very momentarily and never moved from that spot. I was thourally impressed and will not hesitate to use the HM2 again at close range.

You impress easily! Unless you call them to within five yards and get them to pose for a perfect neck shot all the time I wouldn't over rate the pipsqueak cartridge. I've done the same stunt with the .22LR and don't consider it a viable coyote hunting cartridge. Maybe I'm just not as easily impressed as you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

O-boy....

Fasten your seat belts were going on a long ride... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
Quote:
The second photo is exit wound and converted Ruger 10/22 to HM2

If the coyote came in from behind and right of youre stand then the hole on the coyotes neck is not a exit wound but rather a surface splash.. Good shooting anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I probably didnt explain it very well, but i did mention it moving forward and veering right, thus leaving me a shot thru the right side of neck.
Heres a photo of entry wound, this is after i flipped the yote over checking him out and messed up the blood abit did look alot smaller b4 that.

506647040_KVj3g-M.jpg

Quote:
Why were you even hunting them with the HM2??

I wasnt hunting coyote, the HM2 is my small game rifle, the coyotes just happen to come thru...

Quote:
Now that is a good use for golf clubs? What did you do to hold them together.

I just used a cut up piece of bicycle tube to tie them together.

Quote:
That's an awful lotta scope for me to believe you're limiting shots to close range.........

Oh so now im lying?

I dont think Logan ever claimed that the HM2 was a viable Coyote cartridge. Matter of fact, his very first sentence seems to suggest otherwise. It was a target of opportunity and it was a success. Give the guy some credit. I would never dream of hunting coyotes with a HM2 or HMR but if I was out popping bunnies or squirrels with one and a Coyote presented a shot, I darn sure would give it a go myself. You done good Logan. Sometimes a guy cant win for losing.

Back