Calling the Open Country! (pics)

Had to shoot that smaller female as she was fixing to bugger and didn't like to see another coyote bearing down on her.

That was a pretty crazy morning for sure.

Off the wall suggestion for hiding the vehicle in Open country, make a camo cover for the vehicle. Slip over with hooks at convenient places.

my .02 cents

Nice write up Barry! Got to love the open country. Question for you....How do you like that chair? When I was hunting in NM a couple months ago it sure would have been nice. Just being off the ground an extra foot sure helps out on filming.

Hey, Monte!

I love that chair. It won't sit off the ground but about 6-8 inches, but it lets you see more, & keeps my butt out of the cactus & rocks.
Having the back to lean into can really steady a shot with sticks as well.

I've used one for two seasons now & consider it part of my "must-have" gear for a stand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks,

Barry

Nice write-up Barry! You're giving me hopes of some good hunting in NM.

Speaking of which...I hate to ask, but where are you located? I'm moving to Clovis in a month or so and would like to meet up with someone that can give me the lay-of-the-land and show me some good prospects.

Jim

Hey Jim,

Be glad to have be a New Mexican! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm over at Alamogordo. My prospects might be a little far for your driving pleasure, but give me a shout when you get down here & I'll come over & help you scout some places closer in to you....That'll get you started. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks,

Barry

Barry -

I appreciate your offer! I was planning on checking out the public hunting lands in Curry and Roosevelt Counties once I get the family settled in.

I'll look foward to your help scouting since I don't know anyone out there that's smart on Coyotes.

For the record, no drive is too far for good hunting!

Jim

Barry,

I wasn't going to ask you, what's your stocking rate for the cattle down in your country?

Also, what is your source for stock water?

Not many per section...5-8 depending on the area.

Water is the key. Mostly from well water to tank storage to troughs run by gravity through black line.

Most places have dirt stock tanks that get their water from the monsoon season. (July-Sept.)

Some of the tanks are year-round, & others are only seasonal until December or so.
It's a trick to ranch in this country. You can't just come in from wetter places & do it like you did there...the learning curve is just too expensive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
There's dry, drougthy times you have to cut way back & sell more cows than you'd like to.

On a good note, we don't have to "winter" them here much, compared to your neck of the woods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barry

I imagine you've got some good hard grass to keep'em going through the winter...maybe also some butterfat (white sage)? I also see that quite a few of the range cows still are horned, maybe a little 'ear' in them, too.

I just received the quarterly ranch real estate guide from Western Livestock Journal - even with this economy, ranchland in New Mexico is sky high!

Think I'll go buy the Bell Ranch, only $100,000,000.00! That's 100 Million USD

I looked into buying a 1,000 cow ranch in Nevada years ago...at the time, could only afford the ranch or the cattle, not both! Plus, had a prima donna wife at the time who wouldn't, or should I say "couldn't" appreciate the stark beauty and subtle qualities of being so far from town that the only way to make a phone call was via the ranch microwave tower. Neat place, though - hot springs, rivers that ran then disappeared, went from the valley floor up to the top of a 10,000' mountain range. Regarding New Mexico, I also checked out the Clovis area one time while down there for a bull sale...pretty nice country

Envious of all your coyote hunting opportunities down there. The State of Wyoming has declared war on the coyote up here and now they're pretty scarce...plus any that are left end up being quite skitterish.

$100 million....A person could never make that ranch "cash flow" in 10 lifetimes.
Probably go to a computer guru or someone like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have a rule of thumb when looking at ranches that might have potential to make money. You can either finance the cows or the land, but not both. You'd go broke trying to pay for both....plus being sentenced to a lifetime of hard labor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barry

Back