The difference between the .223, 220 swift, 22-250

Hey Joel,
You trying to start a fight!!??!! Really, look into the archives and there are many posts discussing the pros and cons of all three.
Frankly, You will do VERY WELL with any or all of the choices.
Sean

Hello Joel. Welcome to PM. I don't think this would start a fight. The difference in velocity between the three is mainly between the .223 vs 22-250/220 swift. For simplicity lets say you were using a 55 gr bullet in each of the three. A .223 would have a velocity around 3100 to 3300 fps. A 22-250 around 3500 to 3650 fps. A 220 swift around 3700-3800 fps. These will vary with barrel length of course. As you can see the 22-250 and 220 swift are close to the same. The swift has a rim that is larger than the case body. Some say it creates a problem feeding but I have never had a problem. I do stager them when loading the magazine though. Hope this helps.

Take care, Curt

Oh yeah....which one. I like all three very well and could not choose one. If you don't reload I would take the .223 probably. Even if you do reload maybe. Definitely the cheapest to shoot.

Welcome to the board!!

As for which one to choose, depends on what distance you will be taking shots. Like Curt said, velocity is the may key here.

I consider the .223 a 300 yd. and in round. It has plenty of accuracy but the wind will really blow it around past 300.

The 250 and .220 both can pack a punch out to 500. I shoot both for P-Dogs too and for me the .220 just seems to work the wind better for some magic reason even when shooting the same bullet at the same velocity. Still can't figure that one out. Maybe this is why the old timers use to tell me how good the Swift was at long range out west.

The .223 is by far the cheapest to shoot and will work. Just depends on how far???

I've been shooting the 223 for 1 year and the 220 Swift for 10. This is what I've found with approximately 30 dead coyotes with the 223 and 300+ with the Swift, they both kill coyotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

I've come to the conclusion the perfect round for coyotes is the one you can hit and kill them out to 500 yards reliably and don't tear them up. Unfortunately, the swift will kill them waaaaay out there but you will sew every 3rd one up. The 223 so far does very little fur damage but when you hit one at 300 + yards it just might get up and run off. As you will find, their is no perfect rifle combination, you must pick your poison. That's what makes it so fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Now if I wasn't shooting coyotes for the fur, I would pick the swift everytime. Nothing like dumping one at long range! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Here's how I look at it. You will shoot the best with the gun you shoot the most. I own multiple guns, but I am a firm believer in the "beware the man with but one gun" saying. My point is that you will probably shoot the 223 the most as it is the cheapest. The 22-250 and 220 swift are great rounds, but they are not any good if you don't shoot them. If you are like me (maybe a little cheap) you will shoot the more expensive stuff less. Out to 250 yards I shoot my modified mini-14 at game just as well or better than most do with their expensive rifles and rounds. This is simply because I put a lot of rounds through it. It depends a little on your hunting style too. My shots are seldom past 200 yards with my hunting style. When I hunt in such a way that the shots are longer, I grab my brother's 25-06 Remington Sendero. Most anything this side of 500 is dead then. I like 223 because I like to shoot a lot. That makes you a good shot, not throwing money at fancy products. Find a gun/cartridge combo you like, and shoot it a lot! I don't know if I necessarily agree with all the hoopla about which cartridge ruins fur more less than other rounds. Some bullet/cartridge combos definitely are more damaging than others, but I think shot placement is more important. I have seen a 300 mag poke a little tiny entrance and exit hole, a 22-250 blow chunks like you wouldn't believe, and vice versa. When I am fur hunting, I use my 223 with FMJ's and try for a broadside heart/lung shot. Good Luck!

Back