what I have learned..

PrairieMuffin

Ok so for serval yrs I set back and watched my boys hunt from the sidelines or my own blind.
I have always loved to hunt & trap whatever I could. Even if I did it alone. But I'm shoved to the sidelines and personally I've decided to heck with it I'll leave it to the guys. I've read where you guys are so happy to have your wife out with you I can't figure out why mine isn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I believe the time has come for me to hang up my guns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

don't give up something you enjoy becuse of anothers' prejudice or indifference. stay with it girl.If you lived closer to my end of Tx you would be more than welcome to go with me.

Uh...........I don't think so! I like it when my wife goes along with me but I know it's to appease me, not fulfill her desire to hunt. She could really care less about the sport and she grew up in a family that went elk hunting every year.

Lots of stuff going on these days that cause all kinds of stress to each and every one of us. If you truely love the sport and it's in your blood, then you will find a way to be happy with it. You just need to adjust, not quit. Don't act on emotions, just figure out a way to enjoy everything in your life.

OK, I'm sexist. I don't need the distraction of wife hunting with me with her nagging about everything from the weather, toilet facilities, creature comforts etc., etc. with the biggest being "Why do you want to kill that harmless creature?"
Just kiddin der muffin.
I have a daughter/n/law who deer hunts by herself & is quite successful at it.

I'm just tired of feeling like i'm steppin on toes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif I'll get over it I'm sure. I don't usually let emotions run me I don't know but it's just buggin me I suppose.

You love to hunt, right? Hubby loves to hunt, right? Kids love to hunt, right? Did I get all that down right?

If so, I propose this - hunt in shifts. One day you get to hunt alone. Next day, hubby gets to hunt alone. Next day, you hunt with kids. Next day, hubby hunts with kids. Next day, the whole family can go. Rinse and repeat.

My wife and I do something like this, though with different hobbies. I get to leave to hunt, sometimes with the kids. Other days, I keep the kids with me (doing whatever) while she quilts, reads, or has a "day of decadence" - that's man-speak for getting nails done, hair cuts, etc. The system works pretty well and everybody gets to do what they like. It's not perfect, but raising a family is usually compromise.

That's just my take on it. I encourage you not to quit. I love to hunt with my wife and kids, and am ecstatic when things work in her/their favor. On the other hand, I need that time afield without them. You just have to find the balance. Of course, if hubby doesn't work with you to accomplish this, you'll have a much harder time of it.

Quote:
Ok so for serval yrs I set back and watched my boys hunt from the sidelines or my own blind.
I have always loved to hunt & trap whatever I could. Even if I did it alone. But I'm shoved to the sidelines and personally I've decided to heck with it I'll leave it to the guys. I've read where you guys are so happy to have your wife out with you I can't figure out why mine isn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I believe the time has come for me to hang up my guns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

My wife hates guns and hunting. I wish she did hunt that way I would have a partner to hunt with...

All I can say is stick with it if you love it....

I'm glad that I have some hobbies that my wife doesn't wish to share in. That way I can get away from her from time to time.

My wife and I both have our hobbies and personal interests that are totally boring to the other....And while we enjoy doing things together and depend on each other to be there,,when needed,,,we both cherish our "alone" time as individuals....for either of us to ask the other to give up what we enjoy doing would be selfish..and unheard of...

I'm not a 'great hunter' as some are, but whether it's with a gun, or a camera, I enjoy getting out when health will allow it....she could care less..

I used to take off on a motorcycle for weeks at a time, after she lost interest/desire to ride (she used to own her own) and I think she is as glad to see me go, as much as she is to see me come back home...the same holds true for shooting competitions, or a prairie dog shoot..

Don't give up on something you enjoy doing, if it makes you happy, just because someone else doesn't want to do the same...My wife has always been welcome to accompany me, as I have been with her activities...but we respect each others need to pursue enjoyment.

You're not steppin on toes! Continue to hunt.....together and/or alone. Life is way too short to not enjoy every minute of it. You enjoy hunting...DON'T STOP! I wish my wife would join me.....I know she wont....and she knows I aint stopping .....so we have that difference....we share other things together.

Pop

Dont do that!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But seriously if you enjoy doing something why would you even think about quitting?Thats not fair to you.I think DesertRam had a very good idea.Take turns hunting every once in a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Everyone likes to take time out and just have a little "me time" as I like to call it but I dont like being alone all the time.That gets too depressing after a while but unfortunetly thats something I'll have to learn to get used to but thats a whole other subject.
Its fun to hunt,fish,trap or do any of that stuff with someone else but not all of the time.That does'nt mean I want the people I do those things with to stop.I just dont want them around me all the time when they do those things if that makes any since at all.

Actually, I think you should go out by yourself, kill something, dump it on the porch and say "that's how you do it, boyz!"

Probably make you feel a lot better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maybe they are tired of being out shot, outhunted, and outsmarted by a girl! Just kidding, keep doing what you love to do! Or better yet have another kid and maybe you will have a girl to take hunting in the future!

PM, it took me 6 years to awaken the hunter/fisher/trapper instincts in my wife. She is enthusiastic about the hunting and fishing and accepts the trapping part. We do a lot of it together and a lot of it on our own. She enjoys the outdoors as well as anyone, and, yes, she does out shoot me at times. Out fishes me as well. But, thats not what its about with us. She needs her time, I need mine, and we know and accept that. Stick to your hobbies; they are part of your mental health program. If the others want to join in? so much the better. If not? thats the way it goes. the kids? They can swing both ways depending on age and whats on their wee minds this week. Your husband? you guys have probably been together just long enough that 'alone' time can be beneficial. Live and enjoy life PM, you only get one chance to do it.

BIG +1 for DESERTRAM

Thanks guys! I took some good advice..
didn't have my truck yesterday so I just grabbed a few targets, Couple of my babies & went out and blew off some stress. I feel so much better. Killed me a few targets tossed them on the table... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
and lead to this conversation.....explained then..
I like to hunt alone its nice from time to time. No one there to bother you.. watch the sunrise and/or set animals come in the little ones playin. Then again sometimes its nice to have someone set next to you just to see what your seein. To hear someone say good job or something....

"we dont want you to stop, we didn't relize we made you feel you have to be alone. Sorry! We just know your better off by yourself. You shoot at a fast rate (i dont know what that really means) you hardly miss, and when we are there you don't pull up until we say shoot that damm thing!"

Maybe I have misunderstood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
but then agian I know when they yell at me its because they can't get it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
(im not gonna say I havent missed many times...but then I say welp it was impossible to get anyways it was just the fun of tryin). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
just some days arent your days or they run the other direction. You all know how it is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Wive's you ask?....My wife isn't a hunter, nor really appreciates the fact I have been most of my life. A couple of yrs ago, I took her to a 100yrd range for some T-shooting. As I was setting a newly mounted scope.

Once my scope was set, I asked her if she wanted to shoot? Ok, I guess? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif. I shown her how to hold a rifle[she wanted to hold it like a Bazooka] @ first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Anyway, I corrected her. I then told her how to breath, accuire her target & firmly squeeze the trigger. She does...bang a "bulls's eye". I congratulated her.

Ok, shoot some more I said. She did...She printed a tight touching clover leaf @ 100yrds. While leaning forward on the shooting bench. Ok says I, now give me my rifle back. LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Married to a shooter-dogs

Quote:

No No No !!

you are one in a million and i hope they come to their senses !! I would give anything if my wife would do ANYTHING with me outdoors . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Hang in there !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back