place to buy Delrin?

canislatrans54

Aside from the various internet sources I find when I google it...
Are there any "normal" places a might buy Delrin rods for trying to make toneboards?
Do places like Lowes, Home Depot, or Hobby Lobby carry stuff like that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Do you have a Fastenal outlet? They sell fastener, as in screws, nails for nail guns etc. but some also carry industrial supplies for machine shops. If they don't carry it in stock they can usually order it, just be careful of shipping charges.

Most machine shops use it, so your local industrial steel supply place most likely carries it. Those plastics like a lot of RPM and a sharp HSS tool and they machine really nice.

Ive never seen it in a big box store, local machine shop will probably have it. After looking at tons of places online I settled on Mcmaster Carr. I thought they were high priced but they are pretty inline with most places really.

You can always try Yellerdog or some of us custom call builders, Will. No need in buying 5-6 foot minimum, if you are just wanting to try building some boards. What size you looking for?

Tony

Quote:
Look in the phone book under Plastics.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifThat was the 1st thing I tried. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks guys, for the responses!
And yes, we do have a Fastenal [sp] in town. about a mile from my work. In fact, I'll be driving past there this afternoon, so I just might stop in & ask.

Tony, I actually had 5 diameters in mind. Don't have a clue if all 5 are made, though.
3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16" & 5/8"
And yes, to start with shorter lengths (2 foot or less) would be ideal, IMO, for experimenting.
I realize the 3/8", 7/16" & 9/16" are odd sizes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

If I remember correctly...3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 1, 1.5 are common sizes. I have a tiny bit if 3/8" here and 2-3 feet of 1/2" and just 6 inches of 1". Check with Yellerdog, I bet he has hundreds of feet of it in stock.

Tony

Thanks, Tony! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I'll see what I find out at the local Fastenal, then may give Yellerdog a shout. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I'm not needing it right away, anyhow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
This weekend are the last days I'll have time to fiddle with any "call" work until May, as we are now in full Prom Season mode @ work, & I'll be working 7 days a week for 4-6 weeks. Gotta love O.T.!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back