H&R 22-250 Handi Rifle Ammo problems

robertsmb

I recently purchased a Handi Rifle 22-250 and so far I love shooting it, but Im having an issue picking the right kind of ammo for my application.

I started out trying to shoot 55 grain Hornady vmax ballistic tipped ammo, and it was key holing out of the barrel onto my paper targets for sighting purposes. I went and bought some cheap walmart ammo (remington jhp I think) and finished my sighting in. It worked just fine.

Then, I ordered 100 rounds of Corbon 53 gr. barnes DPX Tripple Shock X bullet ammo from a website online. Paid a very large chunk of change for this ammo. I wanted to hunt Coyote and Deer with this round, but Ive started getting Keyhole shots again at the range.

I need to find an ammo that will work for my applications in this weapon. I need it to be efficient enough to kill coyote's at 300 yards, deer at about 100 yards, and not key hole shoot out of the barrel when I am at the range or hunting.

Any suggestions on brand? Grain?

(I do not hand load, Factory ammo is a must)

Thanks for the help in advance.

Additional information. Barrel is 22 inches long with a 1:14 rate of twist. Single shot model number SB2-250. 3-9x-56E Bushnell banner series dusk and dawn scope mounted.

If any other information is needed, I will try my best to find it.

with a 1/14 twist you should try a lower grain bullet, also check your barrel crown, make shure there is no dings or burs on it,

I don't know what kind of factory ammo comes in smaller grain bullets....40, 45, 50, but I'm shure there is some out there.

The smaller gr. bullets should stabilize, and will be a good coyote round, but for deer you probably want something heavier, you might run into stability problems with a 1/14 twist though.

Yeah I think it is a twist issue. I don't know why the manufacturers persist in using the 14" twist in 22-250s. Most of them shoot standard bullets up to 55g ok but the longer bullets like the heavier ones or the barnes etc. often don't stabilize properly in that twist. For deer and such try the Sierra 63g smp or the Winchester 64g power points. They are shorter and stubbier and usually work ok in the 14" twist. For coyotes I would just stick with the vmax, blitzking, or tnts up to 55g. The 22-250 is a super cartridge but a 12" twist would be a better 'standard twist' imo. TnTnTn

Quote:
For deer and such try the Sierra 63g smp or the Winchester 64g power points. They are shorter and stubbier and usually work ok in the 14" twist.

I am trying to find a factory loaded ammo that uses the Sierra 63 Grain SMP. I cant seem to find any for sale.

I dont know how to hand load and havent got the equipment to start hand loading either. Ive read a couple of reviews that say the Sierra you mention is short for its weight and almost always stabilizes in a 1:14 twist rate. It looks like the ammo I will be using if I can find any for sale.

Ill also get a box of the Winchester 64 grain power points, but they may be just too [beeep] heavy for this barrel.

Thanks for the advice guys. If you can find the factory loaded sierra let me know please.

I don't think you'll be happy with the Sierra 63 or win 64 if your having stability issues with bullets that weigh 10 gr less allready. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif try smaller bullets, and by the time you find one that works good, youd've spent enough for a new reloading starter kit!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Rifles without bolts, such as the Handi, are prone to accuracy issues from poor headspace. Another vote for rolling your own.

I have one in .223 it has a 12" twist, it 40-45 grain real good 50 grain OK and 55 grain might not even know were they are going.

Also have had trouble sticking in the chamber.

good luck.

I have one in .223 it has a 12" twist, it shoots 40-45 grain real good 50 grain OK and 55 grain might not even know were they are going.

Also have had trouble with cases sticking in the chamber.

good luck.

sorry. my first time

Bob >> If your rifle is key holeing you have serious issues other than barrel twist. I have never had a barrel key hole the papper in over 40 years of center fire reloadin resulting from barrel rotation ! Yes some will group in a milk bucket, but if they are entering the target sidways you have other issues that need to be addressed and they coud range from barrel crown, to barrel demention, to throte problems, or even a very rough bore , to name just a few !!!
Hawk, Put a little scotch brite or steel wool on a dowel and polish your chamber a bit and your stuck cases will be history. Unless your problem is overloading witch the handi's will not tolerate... at all. Good shooting Mark

1:14 would lead the bullet to key hole if the bullet is too heavy (long really) or too slow or both. The 1:14 twist is for lighter bullets. I have had two rifles keyhole, one a 243 with 107 grain bullets, too long a bullet for the stock twist (1:10 I think it was). The other a 223 with 1:9 twist with 75 grain bullets. Both too heavy for cartridge/twist. With the 22-250 you can run a slower twist than a 223 because you can move the bullet faster. That being said, the 1:12 may stabilize the heavier bullets because of added speed but 1:14 just can't pull it off.

You got a bad barrel. I bought a Handi once with the same problem. You could look up the barrel from the chamber and see the problem. I burnt up a box, saw the problem and told Gander about it. They weren't interested.

Quote:
I have one in .223 it has a 12" twist, it 40-45 grain real good 50 grain OK and 55 grain might not even know were they are going.

Also have had trouble sticking in the chamber.

good luck.

Funny thing, Uncle Nick and my dad both have a handi 223, same rifle. Unlce Nicks shoots 55 grains fine, dads absolutely does not like 55 grain. It really likes 45 grains like yours does and when we get another range membership I got some 50 grains loaded up for him to try out in search of the best load. wonder if it will be just ok like yours too.

t/c223encore.

Back