Trimmers Gracie/Giraud

venatic

Anybody used both and what do you think.I need to trim a bunch of brass(2000 or so) and am trying to decide if its worth the price for one of these babys.I have a Forster that I have had for years but I never trimmed more than 50 at a time.

I don't own any of them, but everything I've read is that the Giruad owns everything.

I'll be buying one, one of these days.

If you search on Youtube, there is a small video of the Giruad in action.

Quote:
I don't own any of them, but everything I've read is that the Giruad owns everything.

I'll be buying one, one of these days.

If you search on Youtube, there is a small video of the Giruad in action.

+1
I read good things about Doug Giraud's trimmers. His trimmers will chamfer case neck mouths as it trims cases. I don't think the Gracie unit does that. I've never read anything bad about Gracie trimmers however.

I have the Giraud and love it. I do both 204 and 223, very fast and quite! If your doing volume reloading, trimming brass is no longer a PIA.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have the Giraud and love it. I do both 204 and 223, very fast and quite! If your doing volume reloading, trimming brass is no longer a PIA.

I've been dragging my feet on buying a Giraud trimmer.
I have an honest question for you. In your experience with the Giraud, how many cases would be the threshold for a buy/don't buy decision for the Giraud? Maybe I can say it a little differently. If you had 100 cases to trim/chamfer, would you buy the Giraud, 150, or 200?
I'm in a situation now where I have 250 cases to do, but that's a one time proposition, and I'm in a quandary about spending the $$$$ for one based on a one time surge in case trimming. On the other hand, doing 250 cases with a hand trimmer is a ROYAL PITA... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Then I gotta chamber inside and outside case mouths.

Martyn

Last edited:
I purchased the Giraud a couple of years ago, probably the best dollars spent after my Dillon swagger for volume loading. I prep brass for myself and my son, and we shoot a lot of .223, (mostly LC). I am a cheapskate, but after running a K through on a friend's machine, it was worth the dollars for me. Trim, chamfer and debur in one slick motion.

The Gracie trimmer does chamfer the inside and outside as well as trim the brass to length.

To tell you the truth, I use the Dillon RT-1200 trimmer for all of my high-volume cases. It doesn't chamfer, but you size and trim all in one operation. I've had one for about 15 years and never had a single issue with it.

I have a couple Gracie trimmers as well, and they do work well. I have never used a Giraud so I can't comment on it.

Martyn, I am kinda in the same boat. I have about 2500 or so to do but after that it will be a long while before i need that type of volume again.

I have the RCBS trim pro powered unit. It's not he greatest, but it works. All the guys I talk to who really know their stuff, say the Giraud is better than the Gracie......

Hi there everyone, first post here, so bear with me. I hope I am not stepping on any toes by not posting an intro first, somewhere else on the forum here.

I would highly recommend the Possum Hollow trimmer and its toolholder. You can get it from Sinclair International.

Again, I hope this isn't verboten, but here is a video on YouTube of how the PHC works:

My other recommendation is to use the RCBS X-sizer die so you do NOT have to trim after every firing/resizing. If you go to rcbs.com right there on their main page there is a video of how the X sizer die works.

I already had a drill press standing idle so I figured getting the PHC was a cheaper alternative to buying the Giraud and or the Gracie or the Dillon one that mounts to the press or a toolhead.

You can also stick a normally handheld chamfering/deburring tool in the PHC's toolholder and chamfer and deburr that way.

It goes fast enough using a batch process.

One other tip I would like to pass along, that I picked up on the Brian Enos forums, is for those guys who don't like to chamfer and deburr their brass after trimming, that if they send their freshly trimmed brass through the tumbler for a little while, that at the least that knocks off the burrs.

But, if you have already deprimed, then yeah, you do have to use a universal decapper to punch any media "kernels" out of your flashholes.

And supposedly, if you're using boattail bullets, then you won't really miss the inside the neck chamfering step.

Last edited:
Hey Dave,
Just spring for the Giraud, use it, then sell it to me used /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Fred thats a downright generous offer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifI am thinking I may just lease it though with a buy option at lease-end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Sub-lease then? Terms??

Hey, it's worth a shot, right???

Aww forget it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
The Gracie trimmer does chamfer the inside and outside as well as trim the brass to length.

True--My dad and I sprung for the Gracie. It seems to work well for us. We purchased the unit without the motor and added our own from Grainger and saved a few bucks. If high volume is what you are doing, this one is the ticket.

Quote:
Martyn, I am kinda in the same boat. I have about 2500 or so to do but after that it will be a long while before i need that type of volume again.

Thank you...
Still debating in my mind though.

Quote:

Good info, wasn't aware of that.
Thanks,

Martyn

Not to beat a dead horse here and wear out my welcome, but...

The Possum Hollow Cutter can be found here for $20.49 :

http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpage.Exe/showproduct?saleitemid=127743

You can then also buy the $10 power tool adapter here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpage.Exe/showproduct?saleitemid=295771

And chances are good that you already have a handheld chamfering and deburring tool that you can also lock into that power tool adapter, but if you don't, $13.49 will get you an L.E. Wilson one here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpage.Exe/showproduct?saleitemid=789334

So that ends up being:

$20.49
+ 10.00
+ 13.49
_______
= $43.98 plus shipping, I suppose.

Plus whatever corded drill you have at home you can chuck the PHC tool adapter and caliber specific cutter into.

Call me cheap, but I think that $43.98 + certainly beats the $390 Giraud trimmer or the $250 Gracey version, even more so in this economy. IMO, that's about another $200 to $340 I could put to use somewhere else, maybe just paying the bills, or being able to buy more bullets, brass, primers, AR mags, or gasoline to get to matches.

And for another $40, the RCBS X-die will make the Gracey or Giraud trimmer redundant and sit idle since you won't have to trim after ever firing/resizing:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=787981

That not only saves you money vs. buying the Gracey or Giraud, but also a lot of time. Even moreso if you want to reload progressively say like on a Dillon 550 or 650. Go straight to the press and load it up, just about, like straight walled pistol cases.

And my apologies to any of you all if this "noobie" rubs you the wrong way with my post. I'm just trying to save the folks following along at home some of their hard earned money.

Last edited:
Back