homemade shooting rest

You can start out with a table like the Workmate, put a top that suits you on it, and it makes a really good bench rest setup. Harbor freight handles one that I believe is made by Skil that you can buy for about $35.00. It is strong, portable, and simple to convert.

Look at the Caldwell line of front rests and a rabbit eared rear bag. They are good quality and reasonably priced. I think this is what you are asking about...

There are lots of rests available from full one piece front and rear rests to clamping type rests. Do a search for "Rifle front rests, or benchrest shootin equipment". It's easy to spend $1000 on a full blown benchrest setup! You can also set yourself up for under $100!

Personally I would stay away from the "Lead Sled" type rests unless you are just sighting in but they do have a benefit there for boresighting and scope mounting.

Looking at the commercial rests should give you an idea of how to build your own. I've seen front rests made from screw/sissor car jacks and even welded tubing. I even built one myself from tubing and square stock years ago but decided a "Bald Eagle Slingshot" frontrest suited my benchrest needs much better. It cost me $600 at the time but I'm still happy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hope that helps.

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

not looking for a table ,just a rest.
was hoping someone has a little more emagination then me.
sometimes homemade is just as good or better then store bought.any more what you buy is broke when you take it out of the box or maby you get to use it once before it breaks.

I saw on the internet where someone took an old scissor jack from a smaller car, put a caldwell bag on top of it and attached it to a board....they added a small wheel to the jack so they could change elevation. Let me dig around and see if i can find that.............

check this one out.....
http://www.battletone.com/guns/protektor4.jpg

best I could find, pretty straight forward, unless you are shooting something big. I had seen one that was attached to a board and then that board was clamped to the shooting table for stability.

good luck and let us see what you come up with.....

Last edited:
HPIM3744.jpg

Back