boys first gobbler BIRDZILLA

guess

I offered a hunt on a Christian based forum to a group of kids that are not as fortunate as others for 1 or more reasons. The forum got together to help get them here. Michael won this hunt for the youth weekend of turkey season. Michael and his mom made it here about 5pm and we headed to the range he shot a .243 and a 20ga. he did very well with both. He got to meet Wilber{the wild boar} and got a few goodies we had gathered. Then we headed to the woods. It was 65 degrees this am and 41 when we were hunting, the wind was blowing 21 to 39 MPH, I doubted we would see a thing! We saw tons of deer, 1 big black boar that caught us off guard and Michael got on him just as he took off into thick brush. We saw a coyote also but no shot. we're off to a good start.
Michael gets his goodies
normal_michael_foxpro_shirt.jpg

meets wilber
normal_michael_meets_wilber.jpg

Shoots the Icon .243
normal_michael_shooting_icon.jpg

the results
normal_Michael_rifle_target.jpg

shoots the shot gun
normal_Michael_shooting_shotgun.jpg

results
normal_shot_gun_target.jpg

6am it's 34 degrees and snowing like crazy 40 mph wind I doubted very seriously that we would see a thing, we've already beat the odds in more ways than one by seeing a hog and a coyote in 40MPH wind. So we went turkey huntin', reluctantly! We were running a little late and we drove into a thicket to hide the truck. The gobblers usually roost on the creek, but guess what as we pulled into the thicket it sounded like there were 100 gobblers on top of the truck! We drove on though, hid the truck cut back through the thicket just as they were flying down. We sat up and started calling right away two good birds came running in but hung up just outside of shotgun range, spooked and left the country. I decided we would try sitting in a ground blind where I took the pictures of the good bird last week. We got there and didn't see a bird, which was good; we didn't want to spook them before we got started. We started calling and I thought I heard a gobbler way off behind us, sure enough I did. He came from a long ways, hung up on a ditch and quit gobblin'! I told Michael we would wait 10 minutes and then go after him. We were just about to take off when Michael's mom spotted a gobbler that had already come a half mile across open country he had about a half mile to come and come he did! He crossed the last ditch before he got to us and then it started, the other bird gobbled! He decided he wanted to fight more than chase girls and he was still out of shotgun range. I told Michael to grab the rifle {legal for Rios in N. Texas} he passed the shotgun to me grabbed the rifle and shot the gobble at 70 yards. He ran about 15 yards and piled up. He weighed 22 pounds, had an 11 1/4 inch beard and a 7 1/2 inch beard and sported 1 inch spurs! I told the boy if he killed my good bird I'd bee mad at him, I don't think he cared!
normal_michael_bird_3-28-09.jpg

normal_michael_hold_bird_3-28-09.jpg

normal_Michael_bird_on_back_3-28-09.jpg

normal_michael_and_mom_3-28-09.jpg

normal_michael_group1_3-28-09.jpg

normal_michael_group_3-28-09.jpg

normal_michael_beards%7E0.jpg

We decided to hog hunt in the evening and some of the night we saw 10-12 hogs but never offered much of a shot. Michael shot at them anyway, but if he hit one we couldn't tell it.

Sunday morning 6am 26 degrees and calm finally. The gobblers were gobbling in every direction we set up on a bird that we hoped was alone. The birds flew down and went in many directions. They would gobble and then shut up as we moved away from them they would gobble and as we moved back towards them they would either move away or shut up! Frustrated we moved to another area as we were driving to the new spot we saw some birds strutting in a field. We drove around to the next field and set up a few hundred yards away. I started calling and thought I heard 1 gobble, but never heard another. A few minutes later I spotted 4 jakes coming our way with a young hen in tow. They finally gobbled as they neared shotgun range. Michael took aim and dropped one and then another, but before we could get to them one was up and half running half flying away, I tried but couldn't catch him we never saw where he went. we made a couple of predator stands with no luck. Michael and his mom decided to hit the road. I had a great time hunting with them. Michael is a quick and attentive learner.
normal_michael_2nd_bird_1_3-29-09.jpg

normal_michaels_2nd_bird_3-29-09.jpg

normal_michael_2nd_bird_walk_3-29-09.jpg

That is too awesome.Congrats to Michael on the huge gobbler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I think you did an awesome thing by helpin him out.You did a good job.Which is an understatement really but Im sure it means alot more to him than we will ever know so you deserve alot of credit for helpin him out.Anway ya'll did good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I can't take all the credit. They asked and I did it.
also thanks to:
Unlce Jay Nistetter, Byron South and Todd Woodall for donating videos.
Foxpro for the goodies they sent.
EOTech for goodies.
Boar Hunter Magazine
and My friend Regi who gave him a knife.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Quote:
I can't take all the credit. They asked and I did it.
also thanks to:
Unlce Jay Nistetter, Byron South and Todd Woodall for donating videos.
Foxpro for the goodies they sent.
EOTech for goodies.
Boar Hunter Magazine
and My friend Regi who gave him a knife.

Ya'll are good guys I dont care what anyone says about ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Great job on the hunt Glen. The boy will have some memories that will last a lifetime. Not only did you take him hunting but you actually bagged animals. The companies/individuals that helped out also should get a pat on the back. In this day and age a business skipping out on an event like this could be a regular event but they stepped up and donated.

3 weeks and I take a boy out turkey hunting for the first time. I would be floored if we called in and shot one but am not going to get my hopes up.

I know my smile reading this wasn't quite as big as ya'lls in the pictures... but it was pretty close. That is just plain KOOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You did GREAT Glen!
Michael will no doubt be remembering that hunt for a looong time! Its so special to see the wonder and awe in a new hunter's eyes and to know that you were a part of it...

Outstanding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Congrats to the youngster! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

GREAT job to all of you!!!
To give a kid the opp. to hunt/fish and to put the "mile wide smile" on thier face. NOTHING BETTER...NOTHING!!!!

Back