150 grain vs. 165grain .308 bullets

tntrapper

ok how much would a 150grain bullet shoot differnt then a 165gain bt,,,,,,,i know it would be faster,, my gun shoots under a inch with 150 fmj,,and one ragged hole with the 165bt at 100yrds,,,, never shot farer then that ,, how would they differ past 100yrds

they should be fairly comparable to around 600 yards (depending on the caliber) where the higher b.c. 165 grain is going to shine. With the 150 you have more speed with the 165 you have more weight and a higher b.c. for reasonable distances shoot which ever you want.

Both of my 308s preferred the 165gr bullets... no matter how much I wanted the 150s to work. One of them really liked the 155gr Lapuas.

tntrapper,
To answer your question, you need to think about what the barrel is doing as a bullet is accelerating from chamber to muzzle. As the bullet is underway and being gripped by the rifling, a "torque" is induced on the barrel. This torque causes the barrel to move in a somewhat circular path with the muzzle describing a very small circular path (as the end of the whip).

Short, stiff barrels move less (as we know). So, the impact point between two different bullet weights may not be just vertical, as seen on the target; there is often a horizontal component of displacement, too.

Different powders with the same bullet may show horizontal and vertical changes (from a base line), too.

I hope my too-wordy explanation helps.

Karl in Phoenix

Back