TT - Turning horn calls

TonyTebbe

I had a few PM me with questions about turning horn on the lathe. I figured it'd be a good time to put a pictorial post together on this batch being built.

The victims....solid horn tips. Of course, you never seem to find a straight one. I drilled these out to fit on the mandrel.
IMG_2344.jpg

Here's a couple chucked up on the 1/4" mandrel. I'll turn them round to see what is left to work with.
IMG_2345.jpg

Now they are turned round, time to start designing the call bodies.
IMG_2346.jpg

Call bodies turned. Time for sanding and buffing.
IMG_2347.jpg

Sanding and buffing complete. Now time to cut them off and get them ready for drilling.
IMG_2348.jpg

Cut off and rebuffed on the buffing wheel. Nice pile of shavings came from this pair.
IMG_2349.jpg

More to come...

Here is the next victim after being turned round.
IMG_2350.jpg

Call body shaped, sanded and buffed.
IMG_2351.jpg

Alot of material cut from this one. Look at this pile of shavings.
IMG_2352.jpg

More to come...

Here is another vicitim. This one is the 5th one from the first picture of rough horn tips. I'm always amazed at what a horn can be hiding inside. Yep, this is going to make a good looker.
IMG_2354.jpg

Turned, sanded, and buffed. I like this one!
IMG_2355.jpg

That's all I have done for now. Still have a couple more to turn, a bunch of drilling, and hours of toneboards to build. But, this should give an idea of how I turn horn on the lathe.

Thanks for watching....will post progress more later.

Tony

I use a sharp pointed skewer or cutoff tool. I don't know what the proper term is for the tool. I'll show a pic of a turned out bell and tool on the next one I do.

Thanks...Tony

Haha...I told you I bet $100 which one you'd pick Cody. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Wise choice. That one is going to be a dang good looking call. Thanks.

Tony

Ok...here's the next victim and my tool of choice for this type of work. Turning horn is not for wimpy tools and my Bryan Stanley carbide tool is just the ticket for taking on the task of hard horn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

IMG_2356.jpg

Call body rough turned.
IMG_2357.jpg

Here is the tool I use for boring out the bell. I reach in as deep as I can without jepordizing the call. If you take out too much and go all the way to the mandrel rod, then the center pops off and the call is loose. You never seem to be able to get it centered right again and have to re-turn it round all over again. Been there...done that too many times.
IMG_2358.jpg

Call body sanded, buffed, and cut off. Ready to be drilled. I made this one more of a standard size call instead of a Micro one. It'll get a 1/2 toneboard.
IMG_2359.jpg

Here's what I have turned so far. Good idea on their sizes, based on what the horn had to offer.
IMG_2360.jpg

These calls WILL be put up for sale, when complete. Cody already is purchasing the 3rd one above. If anyone wants a call, just let me know and I'll put your name on it before someone else does.

Back to the shop. One more to turn, then a bunch of drilling. After that, it's time for the magic of a "TT" call...the toneboards.

Will post more progress later....hope ya'll enjoy these types of online builds.

Thanks....Tony

Very cool Tony those are some nice calls /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Dangit Tony. My wife is allready complaining about me being on the computer. And the phone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Now you go and do this. You've got me hooked waiting to see whats next /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW Tony, I'm calling Dawn and telling her that you can't stop for lunch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:
For me drilling them out is the interesting part, nothing grabs a drill bit and busts your knuckles quicker the cow horn!

Great thread Tony!

Not much to share at this time. I turned the last call. It turned out to be a 'short and stubby' but pretty big around. I decided to save it for a rainy day, as it'll make a great laminate piece for a wood howler or something.

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

I didn't take pictures of the drilling process (Sorry Mr. Jones). I use a step bit and forstner bit to drill them out. I don't use the safest methods in the world for holding the horn on the drill press, so it's best that I don't take or post those pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll let you know that I have 3 new friction "rope burns" on my hand from it.

I dremeled my "TT" inside the bell and coated them with 2 coats of lacquer, inside and out. They are drying at this time, but should be able to show them in 1/2 hour or so. In the meantime, I'm working on getting a mess of calls and skulls boxed up for the post office right now.

I'll start on a few toneboards if you'd like to watch that. Is there an interest?

Thanks...

Tony

No, I'm sure there is nobody interested in seeing you make a couple awesome sounding tone boards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'll be the only one waiting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ok...I started on some toneboards.

For these Micro Calls, I am starting with a 3/8" Delrin rod. I have a very agressive 60 grit paper on the disc sander. It can remove material (as well as hide and fingernails) in a real hurry.
IMG_2363.jpg

See...I'm not kidding when I say the toneboards are built by eye and ear. No guides, no jigs here...
IMG_2364.jpg

I use a small saw type blade on the dremel to cut the air channel. It cuts a nice straight line down the middle. After than, I use a round dremel bit to bore out the air channel for good airflow and volume.
IMG_2365.jpg

Next, I start sanding the toneboard on a black onyx emery board. All this is done by eye till I see the right arc. Later on in the tuning process, after I have sound, much time is spent on the emery board to get the toneboard perfect. (I just noticed that my fingernails are nasty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

IMG_2366.jpg

At this point, my camera batteries just died. I need to go steal some from a TV remote or something to continue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tony

Back