savage model 10 tactical .223

bluealtered

I hadn't planned to buy a rifle yesterday, but came across this model 10 with a 6-24x44 in the paper. It had been sitting in the back of this guys safe for a while, and i guess it was time for it to go.

It has a few battle scars, and will have more before i'm done. The barrel reads .223 model 10, no fp or any letters of any kind. I will guess that it's a 1/9 because it doesn't say what it is and savage seems to have made most of their .223's in 1/9. He said that he bought it from his buddy about 8 years ago and his buddy bought it new about two years before that. While cleaning it i found a build date for the stock of 2/99, thats all i know so far.

If anybody knows about this model, will you let me the twist and whatever history you know of this model rifle. I haven't had much luck finding a good savage web site. It is a tactical, but other than that and the caliber, i'm stuck.

As soon as the sun gets up and it gets above freezing this morning, i'm heading to the range and punch some paper with it, thanks for any help you have. (how a guy that loves 16" barrels ended up with this i don't know) blue

Bluealtered, go over to 'savageshooters.com' to answer any questions you have about your Savage.
I have a model 11 & a model 12 that I use as 'swap barrel' rifles in .223, .243 & .308 standard sporter & heavy barrel.
Neat rifles, IMO, & can be very accurate. Without seeing what you have purchased, I'd say you got a good rifle.
Good luck.

According to the description, it sounds like a 10fp. They did indeed make one with a 20" barrel, but only for a very limited time and only with the accu trigger that I know of. I had one that I sold just a few weeks ago to fund my recent AR project. I'm still kicking myself for that, it was the most accurate gun I've ever owned. I actually called my buddy this morning and told him I wanted first right of refusal on it if he sells...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The barrel is indeed 1 in 9. Mine shot 60gr VMax Black Hills Red Box loads unbeleviably well. Below is a pic of the last group I shot with the gun before I sold it.

Matts09NYRifleBuck005.jpg

8_3005.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I will guess that it's a 1/9 because it doesn't say what it is and savage seems to have made most of their .223's in 1/9.

It probably is the 1/9 but you can easily check twist by inserting a snug patch about half way down the barrel. Mark the rod @ 12 o'clock and extract rod until the mark is again @ 12 o'clock. Measure the distance between mark & muzzle and you have the twist.

Regards,
hm

I had an FP. They stopped engraving "tactical" on the bolt body. If yours says "tactical" on the bolt body, I believe it is still the exact same model. Mine shot .5moa to 200yds. Never shot it any more than that. Traded it for a Bushmaster 17S Bullpup.......

Thanks guys, i got out to the range with it yesturday, so-so groups at 100yd - 7/8", it was about 20 degrees and i did rush things a bit because i was thinking about hunting, yes it will get a lot better. It did the 6" plate at 375yd, ok.(50gr vmax, 50gr jhp

It does have the bead blasted finish, i did go to savage shooters this morning, nothing yet, and it does have tactical on the bolt, after leaving the range, i took it hunting, saw a big good looking bob cat, but no tag.

It's going to be a keeper, we just have to get to know each other a little better. However, after carrying it around for about five hours, that 11lbs got heavy, dang middle age anyway. blue

Try 60 grainers, mine was just about a 1" gun with 50 grainers. Once I tried the 60gr VMax's, it really showed me what it was capable of.

James i would love to try some 60gr vmax, but haven't seen any around here for a while now. I do have some hornady 60gr s.p.'s i just worked up, i'll try them when it stops snowing and i can get back out the range.

I should have taken some 50-55-60's when i went, but it was the first good day in a while, and that means hunting beats everything else out period. Thanks, blue

The 20" barreled Sav .223 Tactical that I had didn't have the Accu-Trigger, nor did the 7/08 Tactical I had. Both had the flexible, junk, black plastic stock.

Ole

Back