Big coyote?

Quote:
Am I looking at the same pic as the rest of you guys?

That coyote is well over 50lbs...

I think you are misjudging because there is nothing in the picture to compare with and use as a "measuring stick" to the size of the coyote.

New York has a bunch of hybrid swarms there so you could be looking at a coyote that has dog in it or wolf or maybe both who knows. Go kill it so we can get a closer look.

or maybe it's just a big coyote? all i hear is that their hybrids, usually from someone that doesn't live in NY and has yote envy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. the wolves have been gone from here long before the yotes showed up, kinda hard to cross with something thats not here. i've read that "maybe" a wolf crossed outa canada and bred with "a" coyote. if that did happen, even 10 years ago how did we get "swarms" of these hybrid's throughout the state. expecially when alot of these larger coyotes are comeing out the southern NY and nowhere near the canadian border. i wanta see the dna testing on some of these big yotes that shows that their half wolf.

It could be just a coyote, but back east, probably in your area & state, Homebuilt, RED wolves have crossbred them selves pretty much out of existence. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That's why the red wolf is on the endangered list & there's so few of them left. They are willingly breeding with coyotes, & slowly losing their genepool.

I suspect that the size & traits of red wolves do crop out sometimes to look more wolf than coyote due to said crossbreeding.

Barry

There must be something wrong with me. I looked at the photo and thought coyote. I wondered what the question was. Without something in the picture to gauge size with, how can anybody guess his weight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

rockin, i just did some quick (very quick) research on the red wolves, and yer right. however (i love that word) according to the various sights i looked at PA was their northern boundry. it seems to me that the population would be minimal at the edge of their boundry, which would make the chance of cross breeding less likely. also the fact that they were almost extinct early in the century before the coyotes showed up. it's possible that there was very minimal cross breeding. it would seem to me that the amount of wolf dna would be a very small in the coyotes we see today, and wouldn't contribute much to their size. it would be nice to see some extensive dna testing of these larger coyotes so we all could see whats going on. without that it's all just a matter of opinion with no real fact's to back any of it up. there's a good chance that i'm wrong as it has happened before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
There must be something wrong with me. I looked at the photo and thought coyote. I wondered what the question was. Without something in the picture to gauge size with, how can anybody guess his weight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Dan,

It's obvious that you didn't count the chin whiskers...this would of given you both a genetic analysis and the weight.

Common mistake... :>)

Of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif How could I have missed that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gentlemen,
The coyote in the pic is a Massachusetts coyote. The picture was taken only a few hundred yards from my back door. I saw him on two occasions (never with a gun) and he is all coyote in my opinion. Perhaps I should qualify that to say he is all Northeast coyote. He is a perfect match for every other coyote I have seen/shot around here except that he is a lot bigger. I have no specific knowledge the particular genetics oor how they compare with say a Texas coyote. I have attached another pic of what I would consider a fairly typical sized coyote for my area for scale. Assuming the smaller one weighs 35-40lbs.... what would you guess the bigger on to weigh? 50? 60?
I would be happy to let you know who's guess is the closest but you will have to wait until October
09_12.jpg

Garrett

Quote:
New York has a bunch of hybrid swarms there so you could be looking at a coyote that has dog in it or wolf or maybe both who knows. Go kill it so we can get a closer look.

I haven't ever seen any hybrid swarms??? They pretty much all are BIG...

Are any of you familiar with Bergmann's Rule ?

Consider a different animal altogether...

What makes a Northern whitetail bigger than a Texas whitetail? Hybrid swarming? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What did the Canadian whitetail have to 'hybridize' with to get so big? Doesn't it make more sense to subscribe to Bergmann's rule, rather than surmise that there is some wacky breeding going on to produce a larger subspecies?

Here's my two pennies on the subject, earned from trying to kill them that last ten years. $.02 is all I got...

The yotes here in the NE are BIG because they HAVE TO BE BIG to survive! They eat deer and our deer get BIG too. Ever seen a 170+lb. (live weight) doe? Me & friends kill them every year. See the logic here?

If there was in fact some red wolf/coyote interbreeding going on, it happened a looong time ago. There are no mutant wolves or large wild 'wolfdogs' running all over the NE impregnating the local coyotes these days. It just big coyotes breeding into each other, thereby making more big coyotes...

Now we have big coyotes here that kill big game and hunt in small packs often. They are more than happy to feast on the blossoming turkey populations and catch other small game, but day in/out venison is the meat that goes with their potatoes...

By trial & error, our NE yotes have figured out a winning combo to get food on the table and it just so happens to mirror how wolves operate out west. Team up and take advantage of the abundant big game available...

(Above info + a token will get you on the subway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif)

Knockemdown, no offense to you. But how tall are you? As it is relevent in estimating animal size/weight in a picture.
Thanks

Other than actually weighing. [Rule of Thumb] I use for estimating weight on a large coyote. Is height of shoulder. Et also length from nose to hind foot, when stretched out. Puts me in the ballpark.

Last edited:
NO problem Kirby!

I'm 6'1", 205 lbs

f.w.i.w...

The 45 lber is at the taxidermeist for a full mount. When I brought him in to the shop, we looked through three catalogs for a form I liked and realized something was amiss...

Upon measuring my coyote, the taxidermist realized that he was 4" LONGER (nose to base of tail meas.)than the largest coyote form currently made!!! IIRC, that measurement was 43"...
We ordered the biggest form (39") in a suitable pose and he is going to cut the form down the middle, add to it and fill out the shoulders & neck so the pelt will fit right...

I'd be more than happy to snap some pics with a tape measure in view when the mount is ready, in case you think I'm making this up...

10-4, Knockemdown.

Long range spotting coyote. I use 4' fencepost's & their 4-stand wires[when they are adajcent]. To esimate height/weight of a coyote. Of course, a few coyotes are abit huskier or shorter/longer legged than the norm. I've weighed & took various measurements of some of the larger ones I've killed over the yrs. Helps to have a known "standard" to go by.

A coyote that measures 24" @ the shoulder, is [in] or pushing the 40-lb range. From my experience.

Last edited:
Boy they sure have little people in New York. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back