Pay to hunt groundhogs

busbees1

I know some of you will think I'm crazy, but I am looking for a setup where I can pay to spend a day or two hunting large tracts of land for groundhogs. I absolutely love to hunt them, and prefer 100-300 yard shots. I had a perfect place to hunt a few years ago- 500 acre farm that was mostly fields and loaded with groundhogs. On more than one occasion I killed 5 or more in a few hours- killed 11 one day. Unfortunately, it was sold and divided. I live in central Virginia and would be willing to travel a few hundred miles and pay for some quality hunting. If anyone knows of such a place, please contact me at twobisbees@yahoo.com.

Thanks!!

Welcome to PM.

I hope you're wearing a helmet! The sky is about to fall! That's one heck of a first post...

Instead of looking for a pay to play location, why not look for a good location that is free! Clever idea... don't you think.

Sorry if this sounds a little cynical or overly sarcastic but why would you even think about paying to do something that is easily found with a little common sense effort.
Try asking for members to show you how they do this or ask someone to take you out hunting with them. Paying to hunt is a very poor option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Again, welcome to PM! I don't know where you are in "central VA" but I can guarantee that if you start a pay to play trend for nuisance species in my part of VA, YOU WILL BE THE HUNTED!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go knock on some farmhouse doors, if you present yourself well, you'll get permission on some places. It's not as easy as it used to be to get permission, but I do it all the time. Networking helps, get your foot in a few doors, earn a reputation for being safe and respectful of the farmer's property, and it will snowball for you.
The problem is, there are not nearly the groundhogs there used to be around here. Too many farmers are gassing them, and you can't wait for them to have a litter to start shooting them, thus insuring your sport for years to come...at least on the large farms that I hunt, anyway.
Where in "central VA" are you?
F1

Whew- my helmet has a few dents in it already! Before I go any further, let me say that I hate paying to hunt as much as anyone. Having said that, I think most would agree that a lot of farmers and landowners have realized that they can charge for access to their land. Here in Virginia, a LOT of land is now controlled by hunt clubs- which is nothing more than paying to hunt. [beeep], I don't blame the farmers- they are just trying to survive. Since my post I have gotten permission to hunt on a nice parcel of land about an hour away- no charge. I have been hunting groundhogs for over 30 years, and have never paid anyone to hunt them. BUT, times are changing- I hate it as much as anyone, but I will do what I can to keep hunting. I live near Lynchburg.

Thanks for the input- I'll keep my helmet on for now.

Good! Glad you got a place to hunt, I'm sure it will be the first of many! If someone want's to join one of the hunt clubs and take advantage of all the privileges it has to offer, great. You might be the only member with an interest in ghogs and/or predators...more for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

BUT, if we start offering money to landowners to hunt nuisance species, we exacerbate that whole pay to hunt situation severalfold! Let the landowners that want to be paid for any access get their fields dug up, their calves and lambs eaten, etc. for a while and they will eventually tire of gassing and filling burrows and will invite careful hunters to help with their problems! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Sometimes it needs to be more than about our own immediate selfishness, and we should look more toward the larger picture.
I'm glad you're down near Lynchbag, we won't overlap territories /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually, your area has more groundhogs than we do...if the coyotes havn't eaten them all!
Good luck! Post som pics! We've got a thread where we're keeping a running tab for groundhogs shot this year..jump in and add to it!
F1

Once you start paying for a place to hunt varmints the word is going to get out and before you know it every farmer will be chargeing you and others for a service that should be free. And just because a farmer charges you to hunt it may not be that good of a area to begin with..
I run into a few that charge to hunt coyotes and i just give them a pass and go onto other ranches that don't charge...

Thanks guys. I look forward to posting some pics. Hopefully your predictions will come true and I'll get permission to hunt more places this summer.

Thou I don't outright pay to hunt Varmits, Predators, or Deer for that matter, I've found that a Country Ham or a bottle of spirits around the Holidays sure as heck doesn't hurt at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Farmers do indeed talk about about who is hunting their properties ... specially when it comes to who is reducing their varmit and predator populations.

I've ask some of my Farmers if they needed help and on more than one occasion got the answer that my only job was to keep the varmit & predator populations in check on "our" (as in plural) farms. If you treat your first Farmer(s) right , you can be sure the word will get around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

99er

Hey Busbees1, go into Clark County, farms and limestone fields. Fine horse farms and sell yourself as a good hunter and safe shooter. I use to hunt like that when living just south of Winchester on RT.50.

In this economy, in these trying times??? PAY TO HUNT????? Give me a break!!! Sounds like you may work for AIG? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Quote:
In this economy, in these trying times??? PAY TO HUNT????? Give me a break!!! Sounds like you may work for AIG? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Probably doesn't work for AIG if he did he would buy the property. Which is one of the things that is happening and then the property becomes closed to guys like us. I have probably asked to hunt 10 or 15 large parcels in the last few years and have yet to get an OK. Same properties I used to hunt when I was much younger. The new owners just say they like nature the way it is. Others may have different success with their requests.

busbee1

I moved here to Central Virginia(retired Naval Officer) about seven years ago and didn't know but just a few folks. I slowly established myself through my new church and other methods, passed out a few business cards as a groundhog hunter and predator control. Talked with gunshop owners and Green Top salesmen. Honestly now I have farmers calling me at all hours or chasing me across the parking lot at church telling me they need me out there tomorrow or sooner if possible. Soybeans are a big item for both me and the groundhogs. The farmers know I am safe and succesful at terminating these guys. I always ask if I can leave visible evidence of my days work. Here's some evidence below in the picture. Now please delete this post before some farmer reads it, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifLOL! Welcome aboard groundhog hunter. My biggest customer is a farmer who is the Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors, word gets around fast.

ATVPigsRAp.jpg

Last edited:
Now Sonny I know you don't shoot groundhogs off that 4-wheeler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I just had to give you a hard time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back