Handloads for 1 in 9 twist .223

Rick James

So I have had a pretty hard time so far finding a load that will really shoot well in the Bushmaster VMatch upper I've got on the AR. So far I've tried Federal 55gr XM193 FMJ's, UMC 50gr JHP's, regular Winchester 55gr SP's, and Black Hills 50gr VMax's. All of them shoot 1-1.5" at 100 yards. That's good if your only hunting yotes and bad guys, but a far cry from what I'd consider acceptable for groundhogs that are 3-400 yards out.

I'm thinking the 1 in 9 twist on this thing is going to require a heavier bullet. Since I can't find any 60 grain factory loads in stock anywhere, and the prices are so dang high anyhow, I think I'm going to buy a reloading kit and give it a go.

My question is this. I'm looking for a good versatile powder for the .223. I've got a buddy that has had really good luck with H335, but I can't find it in stock anywhere.

What powder would you recommend for 55-69 grain .223 loads in a 1-9 twist barrel? Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I've had good luck shooting 55gr nblt with 24.5gr of h-335. I've also had some groups with 60gr v-maxes with imr3031. Can't remember what the charge was. Mine were shot out of rra predator with a 1-8 twist. I could only get the factory ammo down to 3/4" groups at 100. When I finally got the load found it is well under 1/2" at 100. Good luck finding supplies.

Rick,here's my list..Benchmark,W-748,Varget..

Finding powder is such a pain right now,that my suggestion's may be meaningless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Many guy's like H-335 & i'm sure it's a good one.I've never tried only because the above powder's have worked so well.

Try Win 748 if you can find some.
Don't give up on the 55 gr. bullets, either. I got some Hornady Varmint Express factory loads with 55 gr. V-Max and they cut my groups WAY down. I was getting around 1 1/2 groups until I tried those, and they shot cloverleafs at 100. I've got a 1:10 twist, which isn't a huge difference.
You just haven't hit on the right combo yet.

If you're wanting a 400 yard load, though, the heavier bullets do offer an advantage.

I load for the same gun except it is a bushmaster varminter with the 24" barrel and it shoots the 50 or 55 grain bullets really well. Probably around half inch. It shoots the 50 grain vmax with W748 and it shoots the 55 grain Noslers with Benchmark extremely well..

Rick

I saw you asked about factory loads not reloads.''With the factory stuff you Kinda gotta take what you get.

A good scope, a good trigger and practice will shrink your groups.

Black hills ammo seems to be the most accurate of the factory stuff I have tried.

1-9 twist should stabilize anything from 30 grainers to about 70 grains.

If you decide to get into reloading, 26 gr of IMR4895 and aboout any VMAX bullet from 40 to 60 gr should be accurate in your gun. If it wont shoot this combo, Get another gun.

Dave

Quote:
Since I can't find any 60 grain factory loads in stock anywhere, and the prices are so dang high anyhow, I think I'm going to buy a reloading kit and give it a go.

My question is this. I'm looking for a good versatile powder for the .223. I've got a buddy that has had really good luck with H335, but I can't find it in stock anywhere.

What powder would you recommend for 55-69 grain .223 loads in a 1-9 twist barrel? Any other suggestions?

Here is what I answered to....

I am shooting under an 1" with the Hornady 55gr. VMAX factory load. I have the bullets and if the wind will every stop blowing, I will test a handload or two.

the best so far for yotes and accuracy has been 25 gr of varget powder and a 60gr vmax or 60 gr sierra hp

I think its all about the powder, like those mentioned above try win 748 or benhcmark, both throw bullets really well even as light as 50 grain out of my r-15 wich has 1/9 twist!

Back