Mobile Shooting Bench

groundhogsniper

Guys,

I have had the plans in my head for a couple of years now to build a mobile shooting bench. Originally planned to put an elevated seat in the bed of my pick-up to get some extra elevation for shooting groundhogs here in Ohio. This is what I spend most of my time doing. While saving up the money to get it built, I've changed the design several times. Even contemplated buying a utilty trailer to put it on so all I'd have to do is hook & go. Thought it might be easier than loading it into the truck bed every time. I have access to farm ground to sight in rifles, shooting / hunting, but tired of shooting off the hood of my truck. Even looked at an old pop up trailer to gut out.

The million dollar question is, if I were to camoflage it, do you think I could use it to call/shoot coyote out of? Use it kind of like a blind?

Have you though about this style?
Mounts in the reciever. I have one for the front & rear.
I made a base mount also for in the bed or on the ground depending on what Im going for.

Lakecity07083.jpg

I like the idea of using the receiver. It's amazing. I had just discussed something similar with my Dad, only ground level seating. He recently lost his right leg, and is still learning to get around on his prostetic limb. We talked about almost exactly what you have pictured, except at the height of a dining room table since Dad wouldn't be able to climb up into what I'm contemplating building for myself. I'm going to print the picture you posted to show him. Thanks for the input !!!

Quote:
Have you though about this style?
Mounts in the reciever. I have one for the front & rear.
I made a base mount also for in the bed or on the ground depending on what Im going for.

Lakecity07083.jpg

==================================================
I surely wish that rig would be legal here in VA.....I'd have one next week!
Which brings me to ask: does anyone own, or have actual experience with the DOA, Coyote Jakes, or Big Shooter benches? I've looked at some of the cheaper models at a Cabelas store and I'm far from impressed! The RCBS bench appears to be junk to me! Anyone's thoughts based on actual experience?
F1

Flyrod
I agree with the rcbs "thing" Its no more than a rifle craddle. The ones I have seen set up didnt have any or much of any space to put bino's, range finder, ammo box etc. I like the stand alone swivel benches but they take so long to set up. Mines just a top with three legs screwed into it, flip it upside down and slide it into the back of the truck. Then drive to the next town, takes all of 5 seconds to set up.

I actually started to make a reciever hitch bench that swiveled. Still have the material for it. If I get time I might get back to work on it.

"I agree with the rcbs "thing" Its no more than a rifle craddle. The ones I have seen set up didnt have any or much of any space to put bino's, range finder, ammo box etc."
======================================================
FH,
I agree! The RCBS, not only had no place to put any accessories, but it was flimsy and unstable. I want a table top that I can put some decent shooting bags, or a big honkin' Sinclair benchrest on and kill stuff a long way off!

Still waiting for anyone with experience with DOA, Coyote Jakes, or Big Shooter benches. I want good, it doesn't have to be cheap.
F1

My partner has a BR Pivot bench and I think it is the best of the commercially available benches. I am not sure it is still available, I haven't seen an ad for a while. I have built two benches that are patterned after the BR Pivot with some improvements, bearings in the base and a simpler leg leveling mechanism. These are all similiar, good solid benches, seat and top rotate together, weigh about 70-80 pounds, assemble and set up in about 1 min. with no tools.The rotating feature is worth a lot if you don't know where your next target is going to be. DC

I made up my portable shooting table out of banquet table legs and a sheet of black delrin. To move I flip it upside down in the back of the truck, end of the day fold it flat. Pivoting tables work great unless you have to move them often.

Also in CO you can't shoot from anything attached to a motor vehicle including the hitch, a trailer, the truck bed or cab. So you may want to consider where you plan to use your shooting platform before you make it.

Quote:
Still waiting for anyone with experience with DOA, Coyote Jakes, or Big Shooter benches. I want good, it doesn't have to be cheap.
F1

I've got the Big Shooter Bench and it is sturdy and easy to set up and level. A lot of adjustment for seat height to table height and angle. I think it would take quite a bit of weight on the table. I use the Caldwell Rock BR rest and a bag at the rear. A bit spendy but it is nice. IMO much better bench than the RCBS.

Last edited:
Thanks! That's the second vote I've had for the Big Shooter. Still waiting to hear something about the DOA bench...one way or the other.
F1

5spd... my welder is starting to make one just like yours in the next week or so. i bought the chair and the table. thanks for your help. marty

Quote:
5spd... my welder is starting to make one just like yours in the next week or so. i bought the chair and the table. thanks for your help. marty

Anytime, glad someone can build off that style!

I too, built one based on the BR Pivot. There used to be quite a few pics of them at the manufacturers site...www.varmintmasters.net....I think thats the addy. I hear they sold out to Batten Technologies. I don;t know if the quality is the same as with the original manufacturer, but the price has come down a couple hundred bucks, at least through Midway. I think it would be hard to find a better portable bench than the BR.

Last edited:
5spd, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Sent you a pm with a few questions about your shooting bench.
Tony

Stoner25:

I think you're correct--the BR Pivot was sold to Midway/Battenfeld but I think the price went UP a couple hundred not down. Maybe Verminator2 will chime in here but I think Rick sold them for around $450 and Midway has them for $600+. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

tt

Furhunter:

Is your bench by any chance based on plans that Rick Jamison published years ago? One sheet of 3/4" plywood laminated for a bench top and a stool made from the rest of the sheet? Made one of those a few years ago--doesn't pivot but its really solid. Works great.

I'm pretty sure Rick sold the company to either Caldwell or Batten, I could ask him if you wanted. TT35 is right though, the price has gone up alot since they sold.

tt35, I went to BR Pivots old website at varmintmasters.net and it shows that the bench was sold to Battenfeld Tech. and is being sold under the Carldwell name. I remember that BR Pivot sold 2 versions of the bench and with either wood or synthetic tabletop. The cheaper of the 2 versions is what is now being sold by Caldwell. I don't recall what the cheaper version sold for but I would agree with you that it was less than the 600 dollar price of today. I remember that the more costly version of yesteryear was around 800 dollars and had very nicely machined aluminum legs instead of the steel tubing legs on Caldwells version.

Back