Most accurate factory varmint gun

va_ken

Wondering what you guys consider the most accurate FACTORY gun / caliber combo to use on groundhogs to prairie dogs and coyotes.

I have very accurate Remington, Savage & Tikka rifles - All in .223.

However, I have a friend with a wall full of Coopers in various varmint calibers that mostly shoot tighter groups than anything I have.

I'd say -- out of the box -- a Cooper would be the most accurate for the uses you mention. A .223 or .204 would work fine for the uses you mention.

Now Va Ken ,you now what kind of answers you are going to get here...The answer that you are going to get is whatever an individual owns and it is going to come down to a remington vs. savage slam fest!!!So Im going to say CZ all the way!!!This thread is going to get good...

I have owned a Ruger77 MKII VT, a ruger #1V(both in 220swift),a varmint barrel in 204 for my encore, and a Savage 12fv in 204. The savage is a shooter for sure. .114" is best group to date.

Hey MC - I was at the gun show today looking at all the possibilities and the thought came to me to ask these guys. My "bailout" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif check arrived and was thinking of what to get... and coyotejunki - I do have a Sako 6PPC single shot that has been the absolute most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned! This should be a real good thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tikka , Savage, Howa come to mind.. even though there are some that think that buying a rifle that needs a Trigger, Bedding, and other amenities after purchase make it a better value.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My 2cents worth - I have howa axiom .204 that I love. 5 shot
1/4" groups BUT my old rem. 700v 22-250 does even better.
Guess what ? What ever you get and how well it shoots depends on how much work you put into it.

Orneryolfart-- Im liking the new avatar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

VaKen- I think it would be hard to beat a savage. I dont have any experience with tikka, or cooper, so I cant speak for them, but I do know that my savages are shooters

I have 3 Coopers and all are absolutely fantastic shooters, but my Dakota Predator in 17FB is exceptional.

They may cost more but they dont need new stocks, trigger work, bedding or any other voodoo magic to get them to shoot.

My next pick would likely be some sort of 222.

Out of the stock factory rifles that I presently own or have owned, and that includes Kimber, Sako, Rem, Savage, CZ, Win, Weatherby/Howa etc..., My most consistent boringly accurate rifle is an old Rem 700 BDL Varmint in 222.

IMO, a 17 Centerfire, 204 Ruger, or the plain old 223 Rem will kill coyotes just fine out to ranges further than the "average hunter" can accurately shoot.

'course this is subjective an all opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Savage makes an accurate rifle. They are just Buttt Ugly, usually rough, and feel like holding a 2x4 with a pipe attached to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Everyone knows that CZ's have that dern backwards safety, New Wins/Brownings/Howa/Weatherby's are, Heck I dunno there has got to be something people don't like about them too, like they are rice propelled pea shooters or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cooper is an Obama guy so he sucks, so I guess that leaves Ole Big Green, Remington. They might go bankrupt if Cerebus doesn't get bailout money from Uncle Sam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Guess that leaves some sort of AR, but everyone knows they are evil.

WEll maybe a new Savage long range precision varminter...

Quote:
Cooper is an Obama guy so he sucks,

He doesnt even own the company anymore, fact is the sale was under way before the election happened. Cooper was sold to Wilson the company who supplies their barrels. This has been covered here before, many times.

So if he sucks but doesnt own the company anymore, does that stop you from purchasing a Cooper, just because of the name Cooper is still on them?

Furhunter,

I was making a joke of it.

These post generally end up as either a Savage, CZ, or Rem is the next best thing to peanut butter.

I wasn't trying to offend you. But I still think he sucks, even though Cooper firearms make a fine product.

BTW, I do feel sorry for the employees that work for the company with that mans name on it. I'm sure that his open support for Obama has hurt the company.

Last edited:
Quote:
Furhunter,

I was making a joke of it.

These post generally end up as either a Savage, CZ, or Rem is the next best thing to peanut butter.

I wasn't trying to offend you. But I still think he sucks, even though Cooper firearms make a fine product.

BTW, I do feel sorry for the employees that work for the company with that mans name on it. I'm sure that his open support for Obama has hurt the company.

Heck no! Sales are through the roof!!!!

Most accurate varmint rifle out of the box I've ever owned is my 700 SPS Varmint in 243 win. It will shoot 58 grain V-Max factory loads in one jagged hole at 100 yards.

va ken is just trying to stir up the beans from the bottom of the opinion pot, I would say. You will likely never get a concensus, and your more likely to get an argument on this question. I have never owned a "factory rifle" that I didn't do some work on to make it better for my needs.

In my opinion, FWIW, a .223 Rem chambered rifle has a lot going for it for your needs. There are good, not so good, and the occasional outstanding individual rifles in several brands. Just saying one particlar model is always the best may be difficult to prove. Even some of the factory ARs are getting better all the time.

Quote:
va ken is just trying to stir up the beans from the bottom of the opinion pot, I would say. You will likely never get a concensus, and your more likely to get an argument on this question. I have never owned a "factory rifle" that I didn't do some work on to make it better for my needs.

In my opinion, FWIW, a .223 Rem chambered rifle has a lot going for it for your needs. There are good, not so good, and the occasional outstanding individual rifles in several brands. Just saying one particlar model is always the best may be difficult to prove. Even some of the factory ARs are getting better all the time.

+1

The factory rifles that I read about as being very accurate right out of the box are, Savage, Tikka and Howa (Vanguard's).
However, I also tweak every factory rifle I own in some way to make them shoot well.
If you get one of these rifles in 223, you'll have a high probability of great accuracy out of the box.

Back