Suggestions on which handgun to get please!

Quote:
Why has no one mentioned a 500 S&W? It is stronger than a 44 mag aent it?

GJ

yes it is but it is way more gun than anyone really needs. Unless Hunting In Dangerous game country.

Theres not much more that can be said here. If it were me I would look at a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 colt, or a Ruger Vaquero in 45.colt.

Thank you guys for the feedback, I never even thought of a .357 but I will now. I do own a Buckmark that I love plinkin with. I will do some looking now. Thanks again!

BPS Blaster

I would take a long hard look at the SW 629. I've had one for about 10yrs and have taken a deer everyyear with it. And with a supported rest at 100yds can shoot a 5 shot group that you can cover with a can of chew. Longest shot on a deer was about 95yds. The 44 has a bit more recoil that the 357mag but you also have more bullets to choose from for hunting. The trigger is great and it isn't that hard to control. If you are going to use it for deer hunting here in iowa I would lean more to the 44 than I would the 357. I've had people tell me that they have tried to hunt deer with a 357 and have not recovered the deer. Either to bad shot placement or not enough energy. I love the 629 and my 12yr old likes to shoot his grandpa's SW 29. I vote for the sw 44mag.

I like S&Ws, I have two Model 500s. If you want a .44 Mag and want to hot rod it, don't get the Model 29 or 629, they won't take it.

I have a friend who is a S&W engineer and he says go Ruger if you want to fire "nuclear" loads in your .44. If you're moderate, the 629 is a fine gun. Don

.44 mag holds much more energy than a .357 mag down range. My buddy shot a deer with a .357 a few years back. He nailed it 3 times, and it keep on going, its chest looked like a pin cushion. Penetration was terrible! He now uses a .44 mag, and that problem has been solved. I have taken deer with Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 and .45 LC, Super Redhawk .454 Causal, and S&W 500, but my S&W 629 has put more backstraps on the table.

Deer-03.jpg

Back