2009 Turkey Hunt Contest Story and Photo thread...

GC

We all enjoy reading through an exciting hunt and seeing pictures of another member's success. Sharing the hunt is a part of being a Predator Masters member. Enter our contest with your story and photo's in this thread. Thanks to the talented and generous sponsors and supporters of Predator Masters we have some fantastic prizes for our contest. We'll get pics of the contributions up as the pictures become available. Right now the list of contributors pledging prize donations so far is:

Rick Robbins, bearmanric of R&R Game Calls
http://www.rrcalls.com

Tony Tebbe, TT Custom Predator Calls and Predator University
http://www.predatoruniversity.com

Dustin Ford, Dirt's Custom Calls
dustyford@roadrunner.com

Member and part time call maker, southdrive48, Ronnie Coggins of Coggins Cripple Turkey Calls Kenansville, Florida

Rod Haydel of Haydels Game Calls, www.haydels.com, was eager to help out and is donating a Turkey Flute to our contest. Here is a video of the Turkey Flute in action... www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5oiHgi74xQ

One of our community minded contributing members is also going to pitch in and donate some items for the contest. Thank you very much berettaman!

Custom call maker TJShockler has donated some custom crow locator calls! Thanks TJ!

Share those special hunt stories with us and add a picture for the contest. Now post up those turkey hunting stories and pictures guys and gals... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Well... You had to ask didn't ya? Here is an admission of a fumbled play on my part - I think. I had nothing to do with the contest last year and couldn’t tell you who won or what they won. I just very recently took over moderating this forum and while trying to clean up and organize for this year’s event I guess I stupidly lost the results from last year including our prize contributors and the prizes donated. I thought the info was in the picture thread from last year. I guess it wasn’t and evidently I deleted the thread that contained that info. I didn’t realize until it was too late what I’d done. For the winners and prize donors of 08’ you have my sincerest apologies! I think I goofed… sorry about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That's OK. I actually knew the results anyway. It ended up a three way tie. And nothing went from there. No prizes were awarded, It ended with a three way tie and several people discouraged because nobody finished winning anything.

Not trying to be a spoil sport but many people took the time and effort to set up and take the "creative pictures" and stories and it ended up nothing. Several people are just wondering if it's worth doing again?

Thanks for taking on the project for this year. Hope it all works out great.

Purity

I was in the 3 way tie. I checked every day for an update but after a month or so i gave up. I looked about a month or so ago and there was still no update. Don't remember the other 2 guys.

First Morning Gobbler
2009turkey.jpg

Opeing Day 7:25 am.
East Texas
Public Land
Remington 870 with Rem Super Full choke
Winchester Supreme 3" copper plated 2 oz. #6
Double beards (11" and 7 1/8") stubby 3/8' spurs and 19.5 pounds.

Last edited:
Season opened here on the 4th. I had company and realy wanted him to get a bird. The first morning we had two gobblers come in but they had a hen with them. I really got after the hen and she came in to about 10 yards, but the gobblers stayed on the other side of a swampy area. No shot was presented. It was wednesday before we heard any more gobbling. My guest got his first bird.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...page=0#53135274
On the second Saturday, I heard the gobblers from the first weekend again. They were fired up and gobbling hard. I moved fast and got within about 75 yards and settled down before flydown. A few soft tree yelps and they knew where I was. I heard them fly down and shut up, so I shut up too. About 10 minutes passed I see them coming in. Same scenario as the first weekend but without the hen. The rear bird was larger and strutting. The lead bird never went into strut, just cautiously leading the bigger one to me. The lead bird had gotten within 20 yards when the bigger one went behind a tree at about 35 yards. As I was getting the gun lined up for him to step out, the lead bird alerted on me. I knew I better take what I had presented. A load of number 5's from the 870 headed his way like a swarm of yellow jackets. It was over. The bird weighed in a 17.3 lbs and had a 10 3/8 inch beard. No spurs. I reckon this was why he didn't strut.
Here is my "Chicken" gobbler.
DSC_0079-1.jpg

where his spurs should have been
DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

Congrat's on your gobbler! I killed one that was nearly spurless like that once years back. This one had about 1/4" nubs, but was a big mature gobbler that weighed around 22 pounds with a near 10" beard. I don't know if that is a genetic thing or what. Anyway, again, nice job, he'll eat just fine!

Just a note about the contest... the prizes are trickling in and all I can say is WOW! Guys we have some beaut's to give away in the contest. As soon as everything comes in knockemdown and I are going to assemble some prize packages and get some pictures posted. Ya'll gonna be real happy this year... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

this year has been very good to me killed 3 turkeys and every one has been heart pumping action. One jake with a 5 inch beard and two gobblers with 11 inch beard and 10.5 inch beard. 1 inch spurs on both. Shot the jake on accident when the gobbler came up over the rise in the woods i had just slid around the tree and looked right and he was standing there in full strut looking at me , he walked over the hill toward me and i was going to shoot him but about that time 2 more showed up gobbling where he came up at and so i shot the second strutter. o well i think that gobbler was one of the gobblers i shot later.one gobbler i killed in a field had 6 hens with him and one was white. I done alot of cutting to make her mad[the white one she was boss]and she could not stand it so she walked by my decoy with gobbler in tow, now she is loneley. the other gobbler was killed in the middle of the day because i got up late. Killed him about 11:00 , when i was walking through the woods and decided this flat looked like a good place to call so i blew up my hens and called and he gobbled behind me, so i was like i need to move so i went 50 yards to my right and called [ turkeys love it when you move around and call as long as they dont see you] and he gobbled and it sounded like he was to my right so i got up and whent back where i was setting at before, then he was still gobbling and i could not tell where he was comming from. but it worked out when he walked out in front of me at about 50 yards comming my way.He did not survive, shot while in love if you know what i mean. time to patch decoys!
turkey4-1-09013resize2.jpg

DSC_34122.jpg

DSC_2924owl.jpg

Great job on the birds guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif
Thanks for sharing the storys and pics.
I was hoping to be able to add one but my turkey season is shot before it even starts. Seems I'll be out for a few weeks. Hopefully I'll heal up for the last week. I was really hoping to get my first bird this year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Keep them rolling in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hunted the first of three seasons for me this year. Opening day, while walking the 40 minutes to "the back corner" I heard the birds gobbling 1 hour before shooting time. Getting closer to where I wanted to set up an owl hooted 20 yards in front of me triggering at least 6 birds to gobble 40 yards beyond the owl. I worked to 45 yards from where the birds roosted. While waiting for the birds to fly down I watched four of the Toms. One, in full strut in the tree, spittin and drummin and gobbling for at least a half hour to every sound I made with my mouth call. The strutting roosted bird was the fourth to fly down 35 yards away. I was finished with my hunt at 6:15.

P4180317-1-1.jpg

Two Birds 'n One Stand

Well opening day here was nasty raining and snowing. I was waiting for my friend to show up at 4:15am as planned. At 4:30 he calls my cell saying he slept through his alarm. I told him to go back to bed since I figured it would be a crappy turkey day.
Same plan was on for the second day. Caleb showed up on time so we headed out. Got to our destination in good shape so we planted B-Mobile with a hen then sat backed against a tree about 25 yards away. Turkeys got active about 6:30 chasing, strutting, yelping and gobbling. We watched them which was pretty cool. Called about 6:55 and at 7 we had two birds on their backs! Both had 9" beards.
bturk5.jpg
turkbc2.jpg

Back