Springfield XD 45 GAP?

baer19d

I have a friend who has offered to sell me a new, never fired Sprinfield XD in 45 GAP for $450. First of all is this a good price? Seems like it to me. Secondly, what about the 45 GAP? I'm not very familiar with it. I'm not concerned with the cost of ammo since I reload. What do you guys think about this caliber and gun? Thanks, Mike

The price is fair, I would question how easy it is to find 45 GAP ammo and would the cost of it make the good price inconsequential.

The .45Gap(Glock Automatic Pistol)as I understand it was developed by Glock to offer a pistol to people with small hands to have a .45 with smaller grips. The round although a bit shorter than a standard .45APC is supposed to have as much punch as the standard. Never chronyed the load to find out but my wife's(Glock 37) with a laser sight seems to work well for her. Only problem I can see is availability of unfired brass--not sure if it,s out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I personally dont own an XD but a friend that I shoot IPSC with has a few and when we practice ill shoot a few hundred rounds through his XD's. the feel is great they shoot as good as any production plastic gun made and I have never seen them fail at a match or in practice.The are good made guns but with that said I'd shy away from the 45 gap just becuase it didnt take off as good as Glock expected and one day it may be hard to find ammo for the gun.I'd go and see how an XD in 45acp felt and if it wasnt to big for your hands I'd go that rout if it is to big then you can always go with the .40 cal.

my two cents

I own a XD .40 4in service model & I love it. It feels nice, it shoots nice, & it's well made. All my friends put a few down range with mine & want to buy an XD now. The price is fair, is he giving you anything extra? I agree that the GAP might be a dead round pretty soon but you might want to see what barrel you can switch out with. I'm getting a .357sig for mine. Good Luck in your decision.

I help out at a friends gun store occasionally. I have handed a ton of 45 ACP to customers. Don't remember a single person wanting the 45 GAP. My own sense is that it could become an orphan round.

I have an XD in 45 GAP . I bought it before they made an XD in 45 ACP . I do like the pistol , but if I had it to do over again , I would get the 45 ACP .
The main reason for that is ammo availability . If you are an ambitious handloader , you can trim down ACP brass to work in a GAP but that probably wouldn't be real fun .
I really do like my XD though and have put nearly 1500 rounds through it without any malfunctions at all ! The GAP ammo is getting harder to find now and it is more expensive than 45 ACP .

Back