Killing hawks and owls??? Is it ever legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggin coyotes

I came across a post while looking for something else which got me to wondering......

I know hawks, owls, eagles, all birds of prey are federally protected. Unless you are an American Indian you best not be caught in possesion of a even feather from one of them.

So my question is, could or would a person ever, under any circumstance, be allowed or be issued a permit to kill any of them? I say ABSOLUTLEY NOT. NEVER!

What you say guys?

Quote:
You might get a permit if one of the above is killing your livestock?

I don't think you can even do that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I know of no circumstances where killing birds of prey is legal these days.

Unless an eagle had a kid in it's clutches.

Barry

Quote:
"... Unless an eagle had a kid in it's clutches.

Barry

And only if it's YOUR kid!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I know of some people that put out "Squirrel poles" in there running pens, which consist of a ten foot high pole with a resting platform and a #2 coilspring that gets pulled to the ground when a "Squirrel" gets caught. See my emphasis on the word "Squirrel" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Hope they get caught by the game warden someday, it will teach em a lesson /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:
They were just varmints when I was a kid. No season just like crows were. So now we have lots more raptors and no grouse, pheasant low rabbit populations etc. But we have got hawks and owls by god.

Im pretty sure that if you raise quail or things like that and hawks and owls are killing them you can get a permit to shoot birds of prey (probably not eagles though).I didnt know this until I read a post on here where someone that is a member of this site actually has that permit.I have an idea who it was but I dont wanna mention any names and get someone in trouble for killin critters they dont kill at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
So Im gonna wait for him to give us more info on the subject. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I know of a farmer who was spreading dead piglets in his field as fertilizer. The eagles got a taste for them and began grabbing his baby piglets outdoors. When DNR was contacted about removal of the problem eagles, he was informed he created the problem and needed to find a solution without harming the birds. Agee with it or not,we have enough problems with public image without shooting birds of prey.

Quote:
Im pretty sure that if you raise quail or things like that and hawks and owls are killing them you can get a permit to shoot birds of prey (probably not eagles though).I didnt know this until I read a post on here where someone that is a member of this site actually has that permit.I have an idea who it was but I dont wanna mention any names and get someone in trouble for killin critters they dont kill

There was a Pheasant game farm a few years back where the owner was shooting hawks and owls that preyed on his pheasants.. The DNR was aware of it and they let him keep on killing them.. After the DNR took 100's of photos of the game farmer killing the birds they figured they had enough evidence and arrested him about a year later...
The game farmer has'nt seen the stars for some time..LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I dont know I wish I could find that thread that I read that on but I cant.Im pretty sure it was a thread about the .17HMR and that could take days to find.So Im just gonna say no you cant shoot birds of prey and that I was dreamin about seeing that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
They were just varmints when I was a kid. No season just like crows were. So now we have lots more raptors and no grouse, pheasant low rabbit populations etc. But we have got hawks and owls by god.

Yeah. This is the prelude of what's happening now with the re-introduction of wolves and dissapearance of deer/elk/etc.

Gosh, how it blows having morons managing wildlife while trained biologists aren't allowed to do a thing...

There is no management to Raptors just an absolute protection. I am a licensed falconer and the regulations are the strictest of any wildlife use I know.

Quote:
There is no management to Raptors just an absolute protection. I am a licensed falconer and the regulations are the strictest of any wildlife use I know.

This is exactly the way I understood the laws concerning raptors also. Bad news if you were to get caught killing one. No exceptions, no excuses.

Hmmmm

Quote:
I dont know I wish I could find that thread that I read that on but I cant.Im pretty sure it was a thread about the .17HMR and that could take days to find.So Im just gonna say no you cant shoot birds of prey and that I was dreamin about seeing that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well look no further OKrattler. Here ya go. The BS starts as the last post of the first page and gets better on the second page.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...part=1&vc=1

I'm almost 100% positive they do not issue *depredation permits* to anyone, for any reason. PERIOD! And this guy claims he hauled off 5 truckloads of dead hawks and owls LEGALLY. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

doggin coyotes-There it is right there.Good job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I was gonna say the dude that claimed he shot a bunch of owls and stuff like that.
Man all I gotta say is that I have a memory like a hawk.Oh wait thats eyes nevermind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gramps used to talk about shooting them to protect the grouse, sharp shinned & goshawk. Of course that was back when it was O.K. to manage for higher game populations.

I don't think so, couple years ago the owner of a fish hatchery in Sunderland, or Montague, I'm not shure, was arrested for killing eagles, ospreys, herons, ect. He's in jail I think, and ruined anyway. The law said he didn't do enough to cover the pools to protect the trout. It was a big fed. case here. It's like BohunterNY said, wrong people deciding our rights

Quote:
I know of some people that put out "Squirrel poles" in there running pens, which consist of a ten foot high pole with a resting platform and a #2 coilspring that gets pulled to the ground when a "Squirrel" gets caught. See my emphasis on the word "Squirrel" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Hope they get caught by the game warden someday, it will teach em a lesson /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

They will prosecute you for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif squirrel poles as soon as you catch the first protected species. Have seen it done in my state and rightly so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back