What do do with woodchucks?

Bryan8

What can you do with a woodchuck after you shoot them? I usually just leave them were they drop.

Can you skin them and tan the fur?

Thanks

Save their tails and use the hair for tails on dry flies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Work great for Ausable Wulffs.
f1

I put them back in the nearest hole so I don't shoot them again by mistake later in the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. Farmer didn't like me hanging them on the fence. Coyotes usually snag them later that night. Also keeps the cows from crashing down in the holes while the carcas lasts.

The first thing I do is cut the liver out. The liver is the best channel catfish bait there is. Second I wire all four legs and the tail to a fence post that is close to a brushed in area. Then I go back the next morning and shoot the coyote's off the carcass. I shot 3 coyote's like that last year. Tom.

I shoot rockchucks and we give the ones we get head shots on to the Paiute Indians. They have an anual rockchuck bake for elders. Real delicacy (sp?) to them. I can give you the recipe if you'd like! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

+1 for eat them. They are really good if properly prepared. My grandmother used to brown them in a fry pan and then simmer them in tomato sauce until the meat falls off the bone.

Quarter and parboil the big one for about an hour. Then put them on the grill and cover with cream of mushroom soup. Let it cook for about 30-45 minutes on low heat. Good eatin'.

Very tasty , alot like wild rabbit bout half grown are the best ones. Boil them for awile then season and bake till brown in oven.

I let'em lay... I have gotten shots at other predators when leaving groundhogs in the field. Good tip above re: using for coyote bait.. I may have to try that one!

Quote:
I let'em lay... I have gotten shots at racoons, foxes and some feathered friends when left in the field. Good tip above re: using for coyote bait.. I may have to try that one!

might wanna be careful bout shooting those "feathered friends" or at least telling everybody about on an internet forum....

Quote:
Quote:
I let'em lay... I have gotten shots at racoons, foxes and some feathered friends when left in the field. Good tip above re: using for coyote bait.. I may have to try that one!

might wanna be careful bout shooting those "feathered friends" or at least telling everybody about on an internet forum....

also, no coons after Mar. 15 and no foxes after Feb. 28th....might wanna check your seasons before shooting wildly

"and no foxes after Feb. 28th"
Jason,
You might want to check a little deeper, too. With a written directive from the landowner, you can kill foxes in VA, AT ANY TIME, other than Sunday, open season, closed season, or no season! It's not in the hunting guide. but a regulatory policy by VADGIF, stemming from an old statute.
F1

Back