Whats this thing worth? Charles Daly SxS 10 Gauge...Photos attached

Dultimatpredator

I picked this old Charles Daly 30" barreled 10 Gauge a few years back. I planed on restoring it and shooting a turkey with the beast but never got around to it. It functions great. Its missing a hammer on one side and the one it has has been brazed. It also has a little dent in one of the barrels about an inch from the bead which I am sure it can be rolled out without too much work. I plan on picking up some matching hammers for it eventualy. Can anyone tell me how old it is and where I can find some hammers for it. My biggest question is what is it worth? I looked on gun broker and saw the same one for $2500 and another in a coach gun for a grand. Is it worth this kind of money and if so I would part with it to use the cash for a new Benelli. Whats it worth? How old is it? I am guessing late 1800s or right around 1900? The only numbers I can find on it is "396" which is stamped on both the receiver and the domascus barrels.
10g002.jpg
10g003.jpg
10g005.jpg
10g001.jpg

Tough call, but definatly a fine piece worth restoring.Should be some proof marks under the bbls,or on the watertable. Charles Daley was more of an importer than mfg., kind of like Stogers. Finding out what country it was made in will start the process of finding parts & value. A german made gun maybe worth more than a Belgian, ect. Good luck & have fun!

Charle Daly was not an importer, or a manufacturer. They have never made a single firearm.

Charles Daly is a trade name.

CD buys from importers, and domestic manufacturers.

Google Charles Daly and you will get all the information you need. Where did you come up with the years of manufacture??

The trade name has been owned by more than a few different companies. It was owned by a company that I worked for. That company was Outdoor Sports Headquarters Inc., and was based in Dayton, OH. It was a popular name before Outdoor took CD over, but it was not wide spread. Then Outdoor got involved and expanded the product line. I quit Outdoor in the early 90's, and now I believe the Bonitz Brothers own the CD trade name.

CD traded in some very high quality shotguns, and some low quality shotguns. And they sold firearms from many different manufacturers. Way too many to list.

If you believe you have a high end CD, and you really want to sell it. Then contact Jacqua's in Findley, OH. They will know exactly what you have.

Outdoor Sports in still in business, however it is owned by a different company. I know the Bonitz Brothers bought Outdoor in the 90's, and I am pretty sure the brothers still own Outdoor Sports.

Outdoor had an on staff gunsmith when I worked for them. And they carried a bunch of parts for CD firearms. This gunsmith was located in Dayton, OH. At the main office of Outdoor Sports. I do not know if he is still there or not, but it would be worth a call. One of your local sporting goods shops would have the phone number. I do not know if they would have any hammers-my best guess is that they would not have any hammers, but it would be worth a try. Tom.

Last edited:
Quote:
Tough call, but definatly a fine piece worth restoring.Should be some proof marks under the bbls,or on the watertable. Charles Daley was more of an importer than mfg., kind of like Stogers. Finding out what country it was made in will start the process of finding parts & value. A german made gun maybe worth more than a Belgian, ect. Good luck & have fun!

Cant tell if its "FR" or "FB" stamped into the receiver and also there is another number "65" which is stamped into the barrels. I would assume France? I am guessing at the year of production from compairing it to others of that time period.

I do not think that CD bought any shotguns made in France. But it is possible. A lot of their European shotguns(SXS, and over and under)came from Italy. Zoli made a lot of them for years. If I had to guess what FR meant I would guess Franchi. But that is just a pure guess.

I am sure someone at Jacqua's would know. I think they even have a web site?? Tom.

Back