Shipping ammo

jerry malbeck

Sold some loaded ammo to a guy and need info on best way to ship it ? I tried the post office in town and they said they wouldnt ship loaded ammo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif . is this going to be a rayal pain in the arss? thanks , Jerry .

Jerry,

I ran into the same thing awhile back at the post office. I just shipped it UPS and had no problems. I told them what it was and they had no problem with it. Like Jack said, there is no hazmat fee.

Quote:
So they have to accept it at the p.o.??

No, the United States Postal Service(USPS) will not ship loaded ammo. That's what they told me.

That's why I used UPS, instead.

RagnCajn,

I like your suggestion. Very creative! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Put an ORM-D sticker on it and ship UPS or Fed-Ex simple as that....USPS will not ship anything flamable..

If you dont have a sticker draw a rectangle and then another rectangle inside of that and wright ORM-D and in between the two at the top wright small arms cartariges (misspled i know) And ups will ship it no problems.

Quote:
Quote:
Put an ORM-D sticker on it and ship UPS or Fed-Ex simple as that....USPS will not ship anything flamable..

If you dont have a sticker draw a rectangle and then another rectangle inside of that and wright ORM-D and in between the two at the top wright small arms cartariges (misspled i know) And ups will ship it no problems.

Will UPS ship it if you misspled the cartariges label /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do keep in mind that many of the satellite UPS stores (old "Mail Boxes Unlimited") will NOT take them or anything that even hints of that bad word "Gun".

The local "UPS store" refused to send a wooden gun stock (no metal, not even a trigger guard), saying someone could "build a gun" out of it.

[quotehe local "UPS store" refused to send a wooden gun stock (no metal, not even a trigger guard), saying someone could "build a gun" out of it.

That's classical Liberal thinking.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ZERO common sense.

UPS will ship it...ground only being they dont want in on the planes. You have to label the box stating what is in it. It normaly ships in 7-10 business days. They are the only ones that do it anymore and it will cost you around $7-8 for a box or two of shotgun shells. I just jumpped through this hoop on my elk trip a few months back.

Quote:

The local "UPS store" refused to send a wooden gun stock (no metal, not even a trigger guard), saying someone could "build a gun" out of it.

The "UPS Store" in Lewiston is the same way... I was told that it's because they are a franchise, not an actual UPS shipping center.
Who Knows???

Be prepared for a hassle even at UPS. Shipped 10 boxes of shotgun shells to South Dakota for a pheasant hunt, first run at UPS they would not take it, labeled with the ORM-D just like their web site instructed. Had to come back the next day as the manager was not in, then I made them get on the phone to a Regional office, took 4 phone calls before they finally accepted it.

I'm on a first name basis with the guy at the closest main UPS hub. He's older, is a gun guy himself, knows the shipping laws, and there is never any hassle with shipping guns and/or ammo. Maybe he is the exception when it comes to UPS employees.

Like was said above, the UPS "stores" aren't part of UPS and are independently owned....or so I was told.

Quote:
"...Like was said above, the UPS "stores" aren't part of UPS and are independently owned....or so I was told.

I don't know what the formal relationship is, but you are not dealing with UPS when you go to one of the stores - it is a separate business with some kinda linking.

Quote:
I ship mine USPS and don't tell them schit about what's in the package.

Do you have any idea what the fine and imprisonment sentence is for that offense? I guess if you did you probably wouldn't be doing it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Back