fresh cow horns?? cleaning??

homebuilt

i went and got me some fresh cow horns today. i did get my hands dirty in the process. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'm wondering how does one get the insides of the horn removed from the desirable outer shell?

You have to boil them in water. It takes about an hour to get the core out. After they boil I take pliers and grab the core and give it a twist. You can also bang them on something and the core will come out if they have boiled long enough. Be careful the goo that comes out will be hot. DO THIS OUTSIDE ALL OF IT. Hope this helps.
Jim

Quote:
DO THIS OUTSIDE ALL OF IT.

Ah, come on, Jim. If necessarry, the boiling can be done in the house, on the ol' cookstove! It only stinks a "little"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
(Unfortunately, currently, this is how I've been doing it.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I plan on getting a propane camp stove or something similar before I have to do any more.
A person can only get away w/doing it in the house if you're single. I'm certain wives would not allow it to be done on her stove. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Be sure to wear lined-leather gloves or "welder's gloves", because like Jim said everything will be danged hot.

When I boil them, some only take 15-20 minutes, then they are ready. I had some this week that I boiled for 3 hrs, & still had trouble.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif (I have a theory that the longer the horn has been off the animal, the easier it will be to decore. It allows the blood/membrane/cartalage to dry out & shrink. But I could definitely be wrong.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I boil mine in a X-large stock pot w/lid on when possible. It's common sense, but I only use this pot for this one purpose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
When I remove each horn from the pot, I use "water-pump" pliers. Then I immediately take it outside, hold it in a gloved hand & pound around it in varied places w/rubber mallet.
Once the core is out, I then take a piece of baling wire stuck down the inside of the horn to determine where the solidity from the tip end stops.

Since I'm still fairly new to this, I'm sure I'm doing a few things wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ok so boiling it is. i'll have to stop at the dollar store and pick up a cheap pot. so do you guy's think i should boil these outside? or would it be fine to do it in the house? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Back