best outdoor firing range near Minneapolis?

paparoof

Hey now that Summer has arrived (just might hit 50 here this weekend), I want to take my relatively new 30-06 out to a range and spend the day really getting to know it. I've only been to one outdoor firing range in the Mpls/St. Paul metro area, it was about 10 years ago and I can't remember where it was.

I actually live in Plymouth so if all other factors were equal (and I know they're not), I'd prefer the shorter drive.

Whachya got for me?

Caribou gun and hunt club in Le Suere is a pretty good range. Call them first to make sure you can use the range and they don't have a hunt going on behind the firing range.

burms out to 350

You might look up the Oakdale Gun Club... It's on the East side of St. Paul...

I've shot some Glock Matches there and it's pretty nice, but I'm not sure what they offer in the way of rifle ranges... or if it's available for 'public' shooting...

The NRA website has a listing of ranges by state and the "Public/Private" status..

I think Oakdale is where I went years ago. Found their website and it looks perfect (25, 50, 100 and 200 yard ranges) but it says they don't open until June (arghh).
http://www.oakdalegunclub.org

I spose I didn't think about the fact that all the outdoor ranges may still be closed for the season.

I'll check the NRA website. Thanks.

Gopher Rifle and Revolver Club (GRRC) in Harris is by far the best in the state. Unfortunately it is a private club and you have to have another member "vouch" you in. They have a 1000 yard range and quite a few shorter ranges. Very nice facilities and great guys. Each year they have several long distance 50 cal. shoots. Best part is that you can come and go as you want, in accord, with the rules. It's nice to be able to shoot alone without the distractions.

I am also a member of several area sportsmans clubs but none have more than a 200yd. range.

They have a general Membership meeting on March 17. You might be able to get membership info there. Might be a little bit of a drive from the west metro but GRRC is a great range. They also have camping, shooting events, open acsess to the property, and other perks that make it a great place to bring friends and family.

Harris is about 60 miles N of the cities on I-35, just past North Branch.

http://www.grrc.org/Default.aspx

Tim

Oakdale is open to public shooting. They have a very nice set of ranges, 25 to 200 yard. They are open from 9 to about 5:30. I would suggest calling first or go on line to Oakdale Gun Club.com. Have fun.

Oakdale is a great place but unfortunately they aren't open for awhile as another poster mentioned. Besides that there is the Horse and Hunt Club in Prior Lake, I've never been there before but that's another option. There is another place in Blaine or in the area that I've been to that was pretty nice as well, not sure if it is open right now or not.

The Dakota County Gun Club is also nearby but private and pretty much impossible to get a membership at. I've been on the waiting list for over a year and haven't heard a word from them.

Oakdale is open year round to its members and has public hours which are posted on their website. A member can bring guests at any time. If someone in the area wants to shoot give me a PM.

mnblaster: is it worth it to get a membership there?

nm.. just checked and there is a waiting list, which I am now on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
If someone in the area wants to shoot give me a PM.

OH DOOD. You got mail.

Oakdale is where I wanna go. If it'll get me in there before June, you make the rules and I'll abide by them.

...being sponsored by a current member has its advantages.

As far as being worth it or not....I have been a member for 8 yrs, I love being the only one on the range, for the most part, during the "off" season when I am trying to set up a rifle. It is also a good time for me to practice shooting off my shooting sticks or prone. The required range officer duty can be busy but is pretty interesting for the most part, you see alot of equipment in action by all levels of ability.
The facility itself is the best in the state (opinion) (I have shot at most of the better ones) I wish we had a steel plate gallery like Del tone but its not in the near future. Shooting at Oakdale during the public hours can be frustrating to some. No one knows each shooters level of safety so the range officers are very quick with reminders, some feel they go a bit over the top but our safety record speaks for itself.

yeah when I went there it was into deer season a few weeks and I was went to sight in my .243. Only 2 other guys on the range besides the RMs and it was great.

Can't wait to be a member!

If you want to drive a little further. Willow river rod and gun club in New Richmond WI. Its private but membership is only like $75/year. They have a skeet, archery, 50yd pistol and rifle up to 200yds. I go there a TON so if anyone wants to tag along to check it out guests are free.

If you don't mind driving an hour east of the cities, we have a great range here in Menomonie, WI. It's run by the Menomonie Rifle and Pistol Club, we have pistol lanes, 200 and 300 yard lanes, and always have a range safety supervisor on site so it's a safe and friendly environment if you're bringing your family.

The website is at:

http://www.menomonierifleandpistolclub.org

There is no cost to use the range, but since it's run by volunteers we do appreciate the occassional donation to help with upkeep etc.

Please be sure to call ahead (number on the website) in order to find out the hours as the range times change during the different seasons.

I'm a range safety supervisor there, so feel free to PM me with any questions.

Back