Eastern calling rifle/shotgun

Rifles CZ527 in.223,Rem 700 LVSF 22-250 and a savage model 11 in .243
My intended places to hunt and the conditions for the day dictate my rifle of choice for the day.
Calm weather and shorter shots the .223 gets to go.
Longer shots and or high winds the 22-250 or .243 gets to go.
When the winds are really pumping i only choose .243 shooting an 80gr.pill.
For shot guns its either a rem 870 3.5inch pump shooting dead coyote or rem sp10 shooting rem HD BB.
Foul weather the pump sees action,nicer days its the sp10.

Here is mine right now, got a new .243 comming to add to the collection. It is a Remington LVSF in .17rem with Boyd's stock. It the picture it has a Bushnell Elite 6500 but now it wears a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50 with Illuminated reticle and 30mm tube.

[image]http://
DSCI0014.jpg
[/image]

Quote:
Rifles CZ527 in.223,Rem 700 LVSF 22-250 and a savage model 11 in .243
My intended places to hunt and the conditions for the day dictate my rifle of choice for the day.
Calm weather and shorter shots the .223 gets to go.
Longer shots and or high winds the 22-250 or .243 gets to go.
When the winds are really pumping i only choose .243 shooting an 80gr.pill.
For shot guns its either a rem 870 3.5inch pump shooting dead coyote or rem sp10 shooting rem HD BB.
Foul weather the pump sees action,nicer days its the sp10.

Ontario,

You really have everything covered.

I like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

22cat,
My suggestion is to go with the .223. It is a lighter rifle, thus easier to carry when walkeing to stands. .223 is powerful enough for coyotes, but not so powerful that it tears up the hides. Ammo is also easier to find. The .243 ARs are heavier to carry. They are considerably louder. And seems to me like they are just a little too much power for coyotes. Hard on the pelts, you know! Of course the .243 could be a multi-purpose rifle that you could use for deer hunting too?? I am very happy with the .223!!

Knock'em
Nice set up you have there. I like the way you think!

Jim

Yes...I would use a semi auto rifle for much of the terrain I hunt. The big problem is that semi auto's are not legal in PA where I do most of my hunting. And rifles are not legal for coyote hunting in NJ (muzzleloaders exempt).

So I just have to make do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyhoo...great pics and a great thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Everyone has some great pics! I surprised you eastern guys shoot alot of stuff bigger then .223 . I thought it was tight cover and lots of populated areas back east. I was expecting to see alot of .22 hornets-up to .223 and shotguns on this topic. I never been anywhere but a few places in the south but i was bass fishin.

keep those pictures comin!

Here is the one I'm playing with now,got it in a trade.It was new in the box till I got my hands on some spray paint.
before::::::

223Howa001.jpg

And After..I have less than 300.00 in it and it shoots like a bench gun...Howa 1500 in 223 with a TC Hawkin hunter 3X9.

223Howaand22-250003.jpg

But this one on the other hand I have a few more bucks in it..I set it up for groundhogs and crows,but if I had it and seen a yote I might give it a try...

Rem 700 22-250 26in flutted #5 tube action blue printed and bedded in a McMillan with a 6.5X20 Leupold.It the best shooting gun I every had in my hands.

223Howaand22-250004.jpg

Quote:
Everyone has some great pics! I surprised you eastern guys shoot alot of stuff bigger then .223 . I thought it was tight cover and lots of populated areas back east. I was expecting to see alot of .22 hornets-up to .223 and shotguns on this topic. I never been anywhere but a few places in the south but i was bass fishin.

I hunt large blocks of public ground that runs into the hundreds of thousands of acres. I have a lot of room to move around where ever I want and it is pretty well empty of any other hunters. I can hit the woods at daylight and walk all day and never hear a manmade sound, with the possible exception of a stray aircraft, most times not even that. I have never seen or met another predator caller while afield, though on a couple of occasions I have met guys running them with hounds. Those guys tend to hunt in places I don't, closer to the nearest small villages and around the scattered farms, so we really aren't in competition for hunting ground at all. There are no sizable towns of any sort within a hundred+ miles of where I hunt. Pruson, Christopher, Plumbob, those members here know the general area and that is what they mean when they say I'm spoiled. And I am spoiled, but I certainly appreciate my beloved Ozarks.

I have used all sorts of cartridges from the .22LR, .22Mag. .22 Hornet through the .22 centerfires like the .223 and .22-250 all the way up to my heavy loaded .30-06 and .45-70 when I hunt in areas where there are feral/wild hogs and I hope to get a shot at one of the pigs while out and about. I've pretty well settled on the .243 for a couple of reasons. Shots in the thick timber and brushy creeks can be fleeting and shot placement isn't always as precise as you'd like. Though I would never suggest trying to substitute horsepower for placement, there is no doubt in my mind that a .243 anchors poorly hit coyotes better than a .223. The other plus is that the .243 makes a capable deer rifle and if I should run into a hog I feel more comfortable with the .243 than a .223.

Like pictures? The far end of the scale - the wrong end IMHO. Here is a coyote called and killed at eight very short steps on the hard run directly at me… with a .22LR. Not a cartridge I would recommend. That is a Thompson Center Classic .22LR semi-auto with Eley high velocity hollowpoints. I called this one with a Faulks Squirrel Distress handcall.
18520TC_22_and_Squirrel_Distress.jpg

My in-laws used to live in Belton, MO. They lived on a lake and had quite a few bobcats in the area. I wasn't into predator hunting back then (we didn't have a season here in Jersey at the time), but now I could smack myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif for the missed hunting opportunities in such a great hunting state.

Okay. Here is my R-15. I most likely will be getting an Eotech for it. I can't use the R-15 where I hunt around here, but I plan on taking it out west someday.

R-15Pics003.jpg

Quote:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Maine is one of the most heavily forested states in the nation. There are parts of NH, VT and Northern NY that are heavily forested too. Here in Maine you can walk for days and not see anybody, not even another road. And the dogs are so big, you are part of there food chain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Long range shots are a rareity for me. I use either a 12 ga. or my mini-30. Although I'm thinking that during fox season, I want to buy either a 22 hornet or most likely a .223 due to the availabilty of rounds.

Quote:

shot's are shorter but are dog's are bigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i don't have a pick of my shotgun, but it's a h&r pardner pump 12ga with a kicks gobblin thunder choke (.665) shooting remington HD bb's. here's a pic of my steven's .243, bedded boyds stock, and a bushy 4200 in 3x9.

IMG_0695.jpg

I use either a Ruger in .223 w/ a Nikon 6.5X14, or a Ruger .22 Hornet w/ a Bushnell 3X9 here in CT on private land. I hunt a little on state land, we are restricted in what we can use so I carry a .17HMR for that. Not really any choice in it, its the .17 or a .22LR so the .17HMR wins that one.....

Chuck

I use a Savage .222 / 20ga over-under. I've only had one get away so far, and that's because I thought I had the hammer set on the .222 but it was actually on the 20 guage. It didn't reach out there quite as far as I was expecting! And I wasn't ready for that kick from a 3" either! It was given to me by my dad's uncle right before he died about 15 years ago. It sat in the safe until 2 years ago when I got into predator hunting.

When I'm not fooling with muzzleloaders, I use a Model Seven in .260. It has a Leopold 2x7 Compact on it and is the right size and weight for me in the woods.

In VA i use my Remington 700 VS in 220 Swift. I have also used my Marlin 17vs for fox. But the 220 Swift gets taken EVERYWHERE i go to hunt! I really only hunt open land where the 220 Swift can benifit!

Andrew

My rifle is A Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 243 with a Burris 4.5-14x42 scope with 58 grain v-max.
Shotgun is a Mossberg 535 with a dead dog choke and 3.5 inch dead cayote shot.

Back