Savage and Stevens

schloss

What's the actual difference between Savage and Stevens rifles? I know that Savage owns Stevens, but is the only difference a really terrible stock and no accutrigger?

The stevens I have actually has "savage 110" in the bottom of the stock. I was impressed with how well it would group with hand loads.
Mike

I really dont have that big of problem with the stock.

My uncle bought one (stevens 200) in .243 and I like it.

The stock isnt nice by any means but for a 300$ gun Im not complaning

I was just trying to weigh my options. I was starting to think I'd go with a Stevens, because I'll end up switching out the stock anyway, so I wouldn't mind that, but I wasn't thinking about the trigger, and if I replaced that, the whole venture might not be worth it, and I should just stick with Savage.

But, that's where I've got it narrowed down to. I've been wanting a 204 for a while, and it'll have to happen sometime soon. I have a slightly older Leupold 4.5-14x40 tactical scope that will get mounted on it, thought it would work out well. Just have to get it past the wife now.

I've had a .204 Savage 16FSS since they first came out and figured that if I went with the Stevens, I would be upgrading the trigger (more expense) and the price difference between the two didn't justify trying to save money on one hand and having to put it out on the other...

Since I had been shooting a lot of Glocks in competition, the Accu-Trigger took almost no 'getting used to' in my case and it initially would out shoot some of my buddies CZs, Remingtons, etc...

Although it doesn't have the AccuTrigger, I'm told the Stevens 200's trigger is adjustable just as the trigger on the old Savage model 10/110 was.

Quote:
Although it doesn't have the AccuTrigger, I'm told the Stevens 200's trigger is adjustable just as the trigger on the old Savage model 10/110 was.

It's adjustable and a very dead on rifle. I have it in a .243 and will soon have it in a .308. Great rifles for an inexpensive price and the rifles get used.

I guess my luck is bad with the stevens. Me,my dad, and a good friend of mine found a deal on new in the box stevens .223's so we each bought one. We shot factory rounds, and multiple handloads through those three guns and we couldn't get them to group any better than hitting a coffee can lid and 200yds. I traded mine for a Tikka and havnen't picked one up since. The other two guns recently were traded too.

Well, I'm heading into town tomorrow. I'm hoping to poke around in the gunshops down there some, and try to figure out what I want to do. Thanks for the input.

I'm have good luck with the Stevens, have three now and one Savage. The forends are very flexible but I hog them out enough that the barrel can't touch the stock, don't use an attached bipod and keep the sandbags closer to the reciever and not at the end of the forend. I've even picked up a couple of take off 223 barrels and rechamberred them to 22-204 and they are shooting very nice groups out to 300 yds.

AWS

Just bought a Stevens in 300 winmag for 229 @ sportsmans warehouse, they are going out of business but couldn't pass it up for that price

I really like the stevens. I have two, one in 223 and 243. Both shoot great, with factory or hand loads. All the stock needs is some krylon and it looks fine. The only bad thing is the trigger. You can adjust them but they still suck, but I can deal with it for under $300.

Quote:
Just bought a Stevens in 300 winmag for 229 @ sportsmans warehouse, they are going out of business but couldn't pass it up for that price

They have any more in 223 down there?

Quote:
All the stock needs is some krylon and it looks fine.

First of all NO, then they just look like a bad stock with paint. Secondly why do Stevens guys only use Krylon? I have never heard of a Stevens being painted with anything else. You guys on commission or what?

Back