Just got off the phone with Bill Wylde..........

2muchgun

In reference to subsequent car wreck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I asked Bill about the Wylde vs. Nato vs. SAAMI thing we've had going on. First off, lets cut the B.S. I'm not writing this to prove a point of who's right vs. who's wrong. More so to clear things up for everyone, myself included. I am the first one to admit the chamber reamer spec drawings and the info Jack laid down had me wondering if I was in fact FOS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

These are some of Bill's replies:

"I don't really know much about NATO specs. All we wanted to do was create a cartridge with a tighter freebore diameter, that being .224. It took 15 minutes."

When I asked him of the larger freebore length of the NATO cartridge, his reply was, "It is a diameter vs. taper thing. Because the NATO freebore dia. is larger, it has to taper off from that diameter farther to touch lands. Both diameters being at the same very shallow angle".

When I asked him of my findings in Glen Zedikers new book, "The Competetive AR-15", and how it shows pictures of different 80gr Sierras seated to touch the lands, the 223 SAAMI the shortest, the 223 Wylde in the middle, and the 5.56 NATO being the longest, his reply was:

"Again, I don't know much about the specs of the 5.56 NATO, but I do know that an 80gr bullet seated to touch the lands in my chamber would be swallowed by the NATO chamber. It wouldn't reach the lands......"

Draw from it what you will. I think we've all learned something from the Wylde experience. Some more than others.....

Yes, that has certainly relieved a heavy weight from my shoulders. I feel that I can breathe a little easier now.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry, but that is baloney.
The Wylde has a larger diameter leade than the 5.56. The Wylde is .25675 at the shoulder and .2558 at the mouth.
The 5.56 is .25497 at the shoulder and .254 at the mouth.
Why anybody would spec dimensions to a hundreadth of a thousandth is beyond me since holding one thousanth is unlikely???????????
The taper is almost exactly the same with the Wylde being 1-15-0 and the 5.56 being 1-13-24. The tolerances of the two tapers overlap.
Since the leade is longer on the Wylde and the diameter greater no way will a round touch the lands sooner than on the 5.56.

Jack

You might want to check the other "Wylde" thread Jack. If you don't believe me then, you can argue with Bill Wylde about it.........

I think I am going to wind up memorizing these specs. The freebore in
the wylde is 2240 and the nato 2265 and or 2270, almost 3 thousands larger
in the nato. True the shoulder and neck is larger in the wylde but not the leade.

You have a point bigwheeler, I should have looked at the freebore specs closer. Of course this discussion can never come to a definite conclusion since the normal tolerances are +/- .004". The chambers overlap each other, either can be longer or shorter than the other.

Jack

Did you read the post from Bill Wylde in the other thread, Jack? Not to be a smartazz, but he sounded pretty conclusive to me.....

Back