135 Sierra Matchking for the 270

I load them in this custom 270 WSM. What do you want to know?

100_0383.jpg

I've used that bullet in my 270WSM. They're "Bad to the Bone" but lately I've been experiencing the best performance with Speer 150 gr SPBTs and 71.5grs of Mag Pro powder. HEY DON'T START AT THAT LOAD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I was just wondering about their performance; I'm thinking of using them in my 270 win. for a little better accuracy and trajectory. My main uses would be on whitetails and javelina. I want to get better range (i.e. be able to go farther than 300 yards). My other option is the 140 Nosler Accubond which I've been been using (I've killed 2 deer and a javelina) with pretty good results... but the factory stuff is just too much ($2/ round). What do you guys think?

I shoot accubonds in 7mm to way, way, beyond 300 yards. I'd stick with a hunting bullet in the 270 for deer. alot of guys have good results with the smk's but they're shooting them mostly in 338 cals.
look into the hornady a-max, berger vld's, or the accubonds.
RR

IMHO, a tougher bullet is not what you want past 300 yards with the .270 Win. At the lower velocity threshold, most tough premium bullets don't expand much. A plain old fashioned 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip launched with a muzzle velocity of ~3,000 fps is smackin' deadly on deer out to well beyond 500 yards if the shooter is up to the task. At distance, it performs more like a conventional soft point does at closer ranges. IMO, this is the optimum .270 Win projectile for taking deer at long range.

Mike

+1 on what Linefinder said.

I've killed several deer with 130 NBT's well past 400 with both standard 270 and 270 WSM.
They work very well at the longer distances. I've only had trouble with NBT's at under 150 yards out of the WSM. All the deer died right there, but what a mess!
F1

Back