Polishing Cow Horn

bkhcj8

What kind of polishing tools do you guys use on the ends of the cow horn that has been sanded? Also do you use any kind of polishing compound? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Thanks, Brandon

I've used the red stuff (rouge?) after sanding smooth. After that I use the white (diamond?) stuff for the final polish. Of course I use two different buffing wheels.

I use carnuba then the white wax (different buffing wheels). After that it has a high gloss finish. I never use a clear spray on the outside. I do use it on the inside though. The wax give a much smoother finish then spray. I can usually pick out a spray finish very easily as it usually isn't very smooth.

Oh yeah...............I should have said that. Use something to seal the inside. It seems the stench never goes away so ya gotta seal the inside.

I knew I was doing something "wrong". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I never polish my horns.
I just wash them after sanding; then lightly scrub with steel wool; then wash again; let air dry; then put 6 light coats of DEFT inside/outside, with curing time between coats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I've noticed they don't have a "mirrored finish" like some guy's do.
But then again, I never claimed to make fancy calls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Your howlers are great, Will. The howler I made for myself isn't buffed or polished. I polish the other ones as shiny as I can get them. If a person wants it shiny, that's fine. They can always steel-wool the shine off if that's their preference. If I were grabbing a howler to do some serious calling with, it would be one that looks just like yours do.

Weasel, you're gonna give me a big head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Thank you, you're always encouraging. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back