Two more down!

Rob424

I think this is the last weekend that we'll be hunting so we're going to hit it hard. I took off the next two days(need a break from the new ballpark) and Mitch had an early release from school today and he's got Friday off, so Mom said he could hunt all night with me and go to school this morning. Hope he makes it.
1ST SET 12 AM: Hunted a farm on the North side of the road that we hadn't been to all year. WSW wind, we set up along the East side of a treeline about 200 yards from the road. I put the decoy and caller 60 yards NE of me, thinking that they will come from the North and circle downwind and we'll get the shot. 50 minutes of calling and not a howl so I hit the distress one more time, low volume,short, and get ready to pack it in and I look to my right and there he stands, 60 yards from the decoy, came from across the road. I whisper to Mit and we both get on him but dad shot first and he takes a little run and tips over.
3-12-09coyotehunt001.jpg

2ND SET 1:45 AM: Nothing

3RD SET 3AM:Hunted our new honey hole from this year. Been out twice on this property and killed two yotes the first time and called a fox the second time but to foggy for a shot and last year killed 4 yotes on the property to the North, so we have them covered for any wind possible. So we set up together on the North side of a storage bunk in the shadow of the moon,overlooking a plowed field to the North,big swamp to the NE, to the West is a storage yard and it's like a funnel, houses to the South so they have to come in right down the chute, perfect spot. I put the call 50 yards to the NW with a NW wind. I start with distress and then go to some howls with no response, 40 minutes later I see one comeing from the West,200 yards out. He heads towards the swamp so I put on gray fox pup dist. by mistake on low volume and he makes a bee line for the call. I tell Mit that we'll shoot at the same time and she drops,only saw one big hole in at,at first look, so not sure if I missed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif although on the one I got earlier I never saw where that one was hit either. Then a pack starts howling from the swamp but I couldn't get them to show themselves.
3-12-09coyotehunt003.jpg

4TH SET 4:45AM: We try another new spot that looks good but is right on a busy road and the morning rush hour is starting. We set up 500 yards from the road,facing a large open field to the North with the caller and decoy 50 yards NW of me with a NW wind. Mit is 30 yards to the East of me and we're in the shadows of the woodline behind us. I call off and on for 20 minutes and keep thinking I should get him home so he can get a couple hours of sleep before school and it's 8 below besides and I'm getting cold myself. I stand and check the field with the binocs and whistle him to get up. I take one more look and walk out to get the gear and look back and see one bugging out 200 yards to the East. We drop back down and try to get him to stop but he wouldn't have any of it. Another silent one. Hopefully they'll be a little more vocal tonight.

Way to go! I think I might recognize that howler on your neck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep after them....

Tony

Thanks Tony and your correct, your howler works excellent!
I might have to see if I can get a new reed for it one of these days though as the original has been bent a few times getting it out of the jacket.
Rob

Back