can the 6.5x55 be reloaded for coyotes

idratherbehunting

I already have a 233 rem bolt action and i know everybody has their pet round for varmints 223 rem, 204 ruger, 220 swift and so on.

the thing is i have a m96 mauser that took me years to find it's still set up as it came from the factory in the early 1900's other than the timney trigger and burris scout scope.

this rifle will shoot 1/2" to 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards all day long with good ammo.

I'm sending the rifle off to a custom bench rest builder builder and am wondering if it can double as my coyote/deer rifle ???

looking for some input from the old timmer swede fans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif will this rifle shoot the lighter varmint bullets 80 to 100 grains.

the gunsmith is going to keep it as close to original issue as possible shorting the factory barrel & recrown, change the bolt to clear scope, cock on opening, drill and tap receiver glass bed the stock if possible if not new laminated stock.

any input would be greatly appreciated

thanks for your time

orson
living the dream on unemployment
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

You can load from 70 to 160 grains. Should be a 1:8 barrel. It really is a very
versatile cartridge. Slightly out runs a 243 on the light end with a tad more
powder and a lot less pressure. Easy on the shoulder as well. My kid will be
sporting one if the hunting sticks with em. For now the 243 will do. They came
with a pretty nice two stage trigger but not as nice as the timney. The swede is
the euro 30-06, they use it all the way up to and including moose from everything you read. What are the markings on your brass disc? There are
three sections: The middle sized section denotes how much to correct for zero
on the sights with the newer (1940's I think) 140 grain ammo. The small section has a triangle stamped over 1 or sometimes two of the numbers, it's
for throat erosion, the large section is barrel measurement and condition.

I had the bore erosion and condition backwards, The first numbers are the
bore measurements , mine are 6,51 and 6,46 with a 0 for bore erosion. The
barrel condition is 1 and 2 on mine. With no sight hold over. had mine for
years but have just started shooting it. I'm looking for some one that wants
to split an order of 100 pieces of Lapua brass. It is larger at
the head and base and supposed to be more accurate. The American stuff is
30-06 base size.

To answer the original question, yes! The 6.5x55 can be loaded for yotes. I find
the 87gr bullets inaccurate after 100+ yards. The 100gr HP and SP bullets work great. I also tried some 135gr GC lead at 2000fps that worked real well. For ammo just buy some Prvi Partizan or Igman ammo. Really good brass and still under $10.00 per 20 around here. Do some plinking and still get your brass.

Back