.223 Wynde vs. 5.56

Seeking_Coyotes

Is there a difference between these two calibers? I want to get the most accurate gun for yotes and I saw the RRA Coyote Carbine I am ordering from a dealer is in 5.56 instead of .223. Will I be able to shoot the .223 round in the 5.56 chamber as I would if it was chambered in the .223 instead of the 5.56? It has the .75 moa guarantee.

Quote:
Is there a difference between these two calibers?

No. The Wylde is just a .223 with a chamber cut with more leade so you can shoot the longer bullets without hitting the rifling.

Quote:
I want to get the most accurate gun for yotes...

Get the .223 chamber, then. That Wylde won't relly do you any good unless you get a 1:9 or faster twist and shoot 70+ gr. bullets.
Most people are going to tell you not to shoot 5.56 NATO ammo through a .223 chambered rifle. It's pretty much all FMJ to comply with the Geneva Convention, so it's no good for hunting to start with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Here is a copy / paste from the Rock River Arms web site:

"The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy."

Quote:
Quote:
...and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy

I believe that is actually incorrect.

which part? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

the fact that it has a shorter throat?

or

that it improves accuracy?

If I am not mistaken a shorter throat would improve accuracy, as bullet jump would be lessened. this also allows for bullets to be seated just short of magazine length which would place the bullet closer to the lands if the throat is shorter

Quote:
Quote:

It is incorrect...

The throat is longer to tale some of the longer military ammo.

SO it can't be short and long at the same time.

Here's a chart of the various reamers. Study the differences. There is a lot of
mis-information about ar15 chamberings. The wylde is made to shoot 5.56
safely but retain the .223 accuracy.
SnapzProXScreenSnapz005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JUST AMAZING..

I was trying to figure out how to get this same pdf file posted here and gave up. Looks like you figured out how to do it.

Great minds think alike, some are just more intelligent!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It is incorrect...

The throat is longer to tale some of the longer military ammo.

SO it can't be short and long at the same time.

You are incorrect. The Wylde throat IS shorter.

Cat--The NATO throat is longer to take the longer military ammo. You know NATO=Military. Get it?

Military ammo has NOTHING to do with why Bill Wylde designed the chamber. It was designed as a MATCH chamber. Less slop, tighter tolerances, shorter throat, less bullet jump, = greater accuracy.

Period.......

Actually the wylde has the longest throat second only to the 223 match. It
also has a wider base, body, neck and shoulder diameter than the nato.

Quote:
You are incorrect. The Wylde throat IS shorter.

Really? Then that chart is wrong, since it says the freebore length of the Wylde is .0619, the .223 Rem. is .250 and the 5.56 NATO is .0566
Or can't I read?

Quote:
Here is a copy / paste from the Rock River Arms web site:

"The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy."

This is a DIRECT quote from Bill Wylde. I think he may have a clue.......

Unless someone has made a casting of the RRA Wylde chamber, it would be hard to be certain that they are not using a proprietary chamber reamer. I would be interested in knowing exactly what RRA uses myself.

Quote:
What chart?

The one posted above showing the reamer dimensions.
The one that says "These dimensions were compiled directly from the published blueprints provided by the respective makers."

See it? It's in black and white with yellow reference bubbles. The freebore length is referenced by bubble "N".

The Wylde chamber has NOTHING to do with military applications nor seating longer bullets. It is a MATCH chamber cut to tighter tolerances than NATO with a shorter throat meaning less bullet jump for greater accuracy. THE END.......

Quote:
Posted By: Bill Wylde
Date: Thursday, 13 November 2003, at 8:46 a.m.

In Response To: Re: .223 Wylde

The case dimensions of the Wylde reamer are that of one of the NATO prints. Not a thing tight about it. As I recall, there were two NATO prints in use. I don't recall the print number used, but do have it in old records somewhere.

Throating was about the only change. The decision was made to make the freebore diameter .2240" as a good bullet seal. That done, excess freebore made little difference to accuracy. One of the reasons the magazine length 69's shot so well in the chamber. It so happened that the 80 grain Sierra seated to the lands was about ideal at .2470" OAL. Simple luck.....All of it.

The initial reamer(designed in 1984)was mainly geared toward Canadian 5.56 ball, as I was experimenting with their issue ball for competitive purposes. This operation was slow in getting off the ground, and really didn't start happening until about 1990. The use of 5.56 NATO ball in Canada was a short lived affair. Handloads were allowed in about 1994.

Just prior to this time the AR's were gaining great strength in the U.S. The military finally got involved. The rest is history.

You might ask how the the 62 grain 5.56 ball worked for Canadian LR prone shooting to 1,000 yds? It was supersonic in barrels of 28", and longer. It also was very competitive with the 147 grain 7.62 ball in use there at the time. The wind drift differential at long range (7.62/5.56) was about 15% in favor of the 7.62.

Those days were very interesting.

Back