New Browning A-Bolt 22-250

kyotekiller25

I saw this rifle in the paper and got it for what I thought was a good deal at $500 w/the leupold base/rings. I already had a scope sitting around, sightron S1 3-9 w/mil-dot waiting for something to sit on.

I believe its the composite stalker A-bolt. It has a thin 22" bbl. It is very lightweight. Should make for a nice packing/calling/truck rifle for coyotes.

I would like to load 55g vmax or NBT's, but I'd rather not waste my time or money fiddling with them because sometimes the 1 in 14" wont shoot them very well. So I'm deciding to go with some 50g vmax instead, since I already have them, its an even better deal!!

This is my 2nd 22-250, and I've loaded for a couple others, so not a total new guy with the cartridge, although it has been about 7-8 years since my last one I personally owned and used.

My dad and I have always used IMR-4895 with bullets from 40-55g. Its always gave high velocity and good accuracy. Haven't needed to try other powders.

Should I stay with IMR-4895 or should I try some H-380 or Varget?? They all 3 look really good according to the nosler manual. I"d like to stay with a powder that has a high chance of shooting well at the top end.

I'd like to get close to 3800fps, I know it will be tough with the 22" bbl, but thats what I"d like.

Anyways, nothing fancy, but here she is, hope to pop its cherry this weekend!! Need to get that dang trigger worked on, its about 4-5#!!!

ke6ve1.jpg

2dc5wyp.jpg

I wouldn't have a problem at all 1st trying out 4895, especially with the lighter bullets. In my experience their adjustable trigger only goes down to the 4 lb range. The Timney replacement spring is easy to put in & fairly inexpensive.

I stumbled onto a great load for my Cooper 22-250. A friend had some N-540 powder and we built a bunch of different loads to compare and it was just one powder of the bunch. The N-540 was so impressive in it's grouping that all the other recipes got discarded. I was using the 50gr Blitzkings. It shot to the same point of impact with a cold clean barrel or a hot dirty barrel.

Good luck. I am a Browning fan. Very accurate rifles. I have the BAR in 243, Micro Hunter 22 Hornet, Micro Hunter 17 AH, "A" Bolt Hunter 204. All are shooters.

You got a great walking gun. Try the Timney trigger spring and your trigger will be as good or better than any other factory rifle. Not sure if you will get 3800 or not but there is a lot of available powder out there to try.

Last edited:
I am a newby to the 22/250 having had one about 2 weeks. I just got my dies thru ebay and loaded up some rounds this am. I was using IMR3031 and 52g SMK bullets. I had shot some mixed brand factory ammo my dealer had given me to sight it in and my first reloads this am went into 1" total. First shot out of the cold clean bore was about 1" left of the next 4 which went into a nice little square measuring .350". Not bad for first shots out of the box! Oh yeah, rifle is a blue/walnut Tikka T3. Have to go into town now so rifle is back in safe but will fool with it some more. It looks like it really wants to shoot. According to Ken Waters the 14" twist is the most common and it will shoot bullets like the Win 64g PP and the Sierra 63g semipoint just fine. So I think 55s should not be a problem. My Tikka has the 14" twist. That Browning you have ought to shoot too. I would certainly try the 55s if that is what you like. I bet it will shoot them just fine. TnTnTn

Does it have the Dura-Touch Armor Coating on the stock? If it does, it's a Browning Varmint Stalker and should have an adjustable trigger with a medium or varmint barrel on it. I have a Browning Varmint Stalker in .223 and love it. I've been trying to buy the exact same gun in 22-250. You made out good for only $500.00 for a Browning, I'm a huge Browning fan! Enjoy!

The 55g plastic tipped bullets are longer then the 63-64g SP bullets. Thats why some 1 in 14" barrels are finicky with them. They are really better suited to a 1 in 12".

Theres quite a few out there who have had bad luck with plastic tipped 55's in there 1 in 14" varmint rifles, reguardless of caliber.

Personally myself, I've owned/had a .222 rem, 22-250, and 220 swift and all were 1 in 14" and all of them shot 55's very well. So I haven't personally experienced it myself, just thought I might save myself some hassle.

Not even totally sure what the twist is on the browning? Just assumed it was a 1 in 14'

It doesn't have the dura touch coating either. Plain smooth synthetic stock. Barrel is very light contour, probly .6" if I had to guess. Its skinnier then my rem 700 sporter in .222 rem, I know that much!!

How hard is it to install the spring kit?? Whats the lowest weight it will bring it down to?? I prefer my rifles to be around 2#'s.

The Timney replacement spring is easy to change out. You take the barreled action off the stock, slide out a pin & change the one spring. The 'kit' has 2 springs available. The lighter one will bring the trigger pull near 2.5 lbs or a little less. I have not checked mine lately for weight.

I think I have the same rifle, but mine has the heavy barrel and dura touch coating. I found a load using Varget and 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips that shoots very well in this rifle and 3 other rifles. That is my definition of a pet load; one that shoots well in several different rifles. Oddly 2 guys got the same accuracy with 50 grain Vmaxs as they did with Ballistic tips when using the same powder charge. I can look it up for you if you would like it, but I don't recall it being that fast. Heck,I'll give up 200fps to have all 5 holes clustered together to make one hole.

Thanks for the info guys. Definately going to get that timney spring. I HATE heavy triggers, thats why I like Rems, I can do those myself and save some money.

Dont know what I"ll try for powder just yet. I"d like to try all 3, just dont wanna buy all 3.

H380 would be nice for metering, could load shells a lot faster.

Varget seems to produce great velocity if you look on reloaders nest, alot of them are getting 3800-3900fps with 50's.

My dad has some IMR-4895 I might be able to try a few loads with that first to see how it does.

So many powders...

Save your money on the trigger. Push out the trigger pin and cut off one coil off the spring. That will take it down alot, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have a Browning Composite Stalker (A-bolt) in a 25-06. I can honestly say it is the most accurate out-of-the-box rifle I have ever owned, and I've owned a bunch. They are just built to shoot well, and they do. I think you have a good one there. But, the trigger does leave something to be desired. Keep us posted once you put it to the test.

Last edited:
I have the same thing in 25-06 also. I love the gun,it's quite the shooter. Same deal for $465,only had 1 box down the pipe. Guys wife was afraid of it.

Quote:
Save your money on the trigger. Push out the trigger pin and cut off one coil off the spring. That will take it down alot, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

+1 easy and cheap, and it works great. However I would start out by cutting half a coil or less. Then check the pull. If you want it lighter just trim it a little more. You can always take some off the spring, but if you cut too much you cant put it back on. If you take off to much you will have to order a new spring and then wait until it comes in, to shoot your toy.

Back