Which scope, 3-12x42 or 4-16x42?

Hmmm....Seems like more votes for the 4-16x so far.

I never said anything about being more accurate because of having a higher powered scope. It is however a lot easier to place your shots at long range by having more power.

However, IMO, having a 1x advantage on the low end, does not make up for 4x on the high end.

I have pretty good sight acquisition, so I really dont think 4x to 3x is really any advantage in my situations. I hunt with my 6-18 scopes on 10x 99% of the time and I dont have any problems busting coyotes at 50 yards.

The nikon 3-12x42 sf with fast focus eye piece is not acceptable for field use in my honest opinion. I never handled one in the store and ordered it unseen i didn't know the ocular focus can't lock. SF is ok but the eye piece no go . And its ugly as heck. No worries though sightron has the answer!

sightron big sky 3-12x42 gets my vote ! I'm lovin mine !

there is currently a 50 dollar rebate on it too. best price i found was the optic zone after rebate it is 409 bucks. It also weighs less then most scopes the same size.

Last edited:
I stopped by BPS yesterday to check them out and one thing is certain, I do like the BDC reticle. I think the ring thickness will be just fine.

I am still up in the air about which one to get though. I keep thinking back to most my years hunting with a 3-9x and most the time, I left it on 4 power anyway. Plus, a few years ago, I was hunting with my Dads old Winchester Model 88 lever action in .308 with a single power 4x scope and had two deer bust from a thicket and run past me broadside both at about 50 yards. After taking two wild pot shots on the first deer, I settle down and drilled it on the 3rd. Then the second deer busted and I drilled it on the 2nd shot. Point being, the FOV was good enough to shoot both those deer running at 50 yards with 4x, so I don't know if I would miss the extra 1x less on the 3-12x.

Sheesh...I am having a terrible time deciding. I may just have to flip a coin.

Back