cats/coyotes/Javelinas/hogs

RagnCajn

I have all but ended my calling for this season. I had began packing all my stuff away and thinking about fishing and Spring Gobblers when Scot Ruff called about a trip to South Texas. He had set up a hunt down south of San Antonio. We got there last Wednesday night about midnight and crashed. Allmost a full moon, 90 degree daytimes and high gusting winds did not help our cause any.

The first coyote we called in got a pass without a shot being fired. Our first time together and him filming caused some confusion.He was probably wishing he had a better trigger man.

That was the only responder for the first morning. As the temps rose to 90+ and winds hit gale force, we went in for a break. As the sun began to drop and the temps followed suit, we went back out.

We made one stand that evening. We had called the stand and were leaving when 4 coyotes popped out in the lane about 100-125 yards away. I sat down and took one in the short ribs as they were leaving.
coy223.jpg

As we got back to the 4-Wheelers, his would not crank. I towed him back to the camp and hooked up the charger. I then began to prepare a cajn Shrimp boil. As I did so, he grabbed his shotgun and jumped in his truck. Figured there was just enough time to get one more stand in before dark. When he got back, this was in the back of his truck.
DSC_0052.jpg

The next morning, we called one in across a dry lake bed. I would like to post a picture of it, but I m-m-missed. It had stopped and spun just as I touched the trigger. I shot where it had been instead of where it was going.

Then a bobcat was missed at 10 yards, again by yours truly. It had come out right beside me across the cut lane. Scot was behind me filming and I heard him began to lip squeek. As I turned, I see the cat behind a prickly pear. Just as I got around, it spun and headed off in the thick stuff. I did give it two warning shots as it was leaving with the Mini 14.

The winds and heat ran us back to camp. Scot went to town (50miles) to replace the battery that would not charge.

That evening on the last stand of the day, we bumped a cat driving in. We bailed out of the truck and ran to the nearest spot where we could get some shooting distance. Scot got the camera running as I was digging out an Arky closed reed call. A few screams and the cat was running in. A frontal chest shot sealed the deal.
arkybob.jpg

bobstand.jpg

That night was grilled Ribeyes and fried taters.

We hunted hard Sat. morning, but nothing would come in. I had switched over to my 17 Rem for today. We saw some Javalinas and I decided to test out those 25 Bergers.
jav17.jpg

Scot packed up and headed home after lunch. That evening, I made a few stands and called one runner in with no shot and one that scent spooked and was missed as it was leaving.

I had seen some hog sign during the hunt and wanted to give the Bergers a real test. I went hog hunting. I found them in a dry lake bed and picked the smallest one. Someone had told me that a 17 was not adequate for the task.I hit this small sow at 205 yards. She dropped on the spot from a 17 caliber spinal tap. I used the truck cab as a shooting rest.
DSCF0853.jpg

The next morning, I was on my own and went back after the hogs. I spotted them feeding in the lake bed about 1/4 mile away. I slipped to within 255 yards, (leica affirmed) before I began to run out of cover. I waited for a quartering in shot and hit this big sow in the shoulder. You can see just above the adjustment ring a small bloody spot where the bullet entered. She dropped on the spot also. The hog friendly 17 Rem.
255sow.jpg

The truck was not there when I shot this one. I had driven down to load it when I came up to a creek and could get no closer.

I think that puts a good finish on my calling season. When those pups are through welping, I will resume.

HOMnominatedbanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you had a productive trip! I think your bud forgot to paint the bottom of his ladder steps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great write-up Randy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Looks like ya'll had fun...

Bryan, Javalinas are technically 'collard peccary'...an entirely different animal than what gets referred to as "Hogs" in Texas.

The Javalina are smallish wild game animals.

Hogs are just that...domestic pigs, or Russian hogs that have gone wild, or been released to go wild for hunting purposes.

BTW, the best tamales I ever had were made from a young javalina. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Barry

All I can say is WOW! You basically just lived a dream of mine. I would love to get that kind of variety on one hunt! Way to go.

nice hunt! Did you eat that javalina?\

I ate soem once they are good if you can get past the smell of cleaning the dang things!

Quote:
I ate some once they are good if you can get past the smell of cleaning the dang things!

Same thing with coyote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know some had that with sweet & sour sauce.

Good looking kitty you ended up with. Sounds like a fun trip. It is always more fun when you have a variety of animals you can take.

Back