Shooting Bench - Purchase/Build? Comments please!

Prairieghost67

I would like your reply on shooting benches. I'm looking for a 400 yard portable, and stable.
I've built a few - but to be stable - they weigh 100 lbs and they're quite bulky. ...yet RCBS offers their RAAS which has mixed reviews at $350 - (...it prairie dog shooting season.) What says you? Plans/Designs/Suggestions, please advise. Thanks!

You might want to check out Armor Shooting Bench of Havre, Mt. I took one on my 1st PD hunt and have had one ever since. They used to advertise in Rifle, Handloader and Varmint Hunter.

I built the Booger Bench, works quite well for me. I may build one that has just a bit more table space though.

Can't find the website with the plans anymore, maybe someone here get the plans for you!
Tim

I have made a few but they were always a little rickety or too heavy to be portable. A few years ago I got a Stukey Sturdy Shooting Bench for Christmas. http://www.shootingbenches.com/ It is the most stable heavy duty, portable bench I have ever seen or used. It's expensive but super high quality.
M1A4-Copy.jpg

M1A1-Copy.jpg

The only suggestion I could make is to have a small fence around the table top to prevent brass from rolling off.

The stukey that mongo has is stout. I built one copying the leg system off of the stukey, using smaller dia. pipe. I added a carpeted shelf underneath for ammo storage and cooling barrels in the shade. Hand holds serve to stand up rifles without the chance of knocking them over as with notches. I also found the 'tail' of the stukey to be too wide to let your elbow overhang the edge. No need to pad, if you can 'hook' your elbow over the edge.......

HPIM3736.jpg

Just an observation,,,I can understand the need for stability, but that entails enough weight that you can't really consider it as "Portable" in the general sense of the word and use...

We usually will move around several towns depending on the sun, wind, and fear factor of the dogs and then will come back to them during the day from other directions.

One of my shooting buddies built a "Booger Bench" and attached an Eye Hook under it and attaches a separate weight to the hook with a steel cable so it hangs just above the ground and it really increases the stability without having to lug a one piece heavy weight around loading in and out of our vehicle for movement...

If I hadn't already bought one of the folding San Angelo benches, I'd have copied his Booger Bench as well..

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I've built boxes, modified card tables, tried three legs- four legs - and wide stances, cross bracing... I've easily put $500 into table over the last 15 years of shooting. The Stuckey Sturdy does look nice, and it is expensive. I'll look at huntsmans a little closer and see what 'ol Home Depot has for me this weekend. Thanks fellas - Regards - Chris (New Mexico)

Take a look at "The Ultimate Tripod". I bought mine from Hart & Sons. The rest is easily 100% sturdy to 600 yards or farther. It is very "portable". It even comes with a padded shoulder strap.

The tables are OK, however in WV they are pretty much worthless. They may be great for flat ground. However in the places I hunt there is way too much adjustment needed. With the tripod I have you can literally hunt in any terrain, and at any angle--up or down. You can use it from a sitting or a standing position. And to repeat my above comment-it is truly "portable". If a ground hog comes in behind you it just takes 10 seconds to pick up the tripod, and spin around. With my Kawasaki Mule I am truly portable, and I am a handicapped fellow. Tom.

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Last edited:
Hogghead,,, I really like that set up....and the portability...

With that versatility, you may be mobility challenged, but you are most certainly not handicapped... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I dont have pics but I used a set of folding legs for banquet tables from lowes and 5/8 plywood for the top. Light enough to carry and stable enough to shot from, might have 30bucks tops in it

I found a school desk works good. The kind with the seat attached. Call your local schools. They tend to throw away many older desks.

hope this helps

I also have one I built with the table legs. Dang sure not as stable or user friendly (fitting your legs around the table legs) as the tripod style. Whatever works for you.....

IMG_2218.jpg

I Built a Bugger Bench from the Plans. I set 2 Heavy sand bags 20# a piece across the Bottom of the legs. It makes it very stable. Of course you still have to keep it level with all 4 legs touching the ground.

A friend made this for me. It cost me $120 plus $7 for paint. It swivels 360 degree.
100_3546.jpg

Top comes off, seat slides off and is adjustable up and down. Legs fold up.
100_3957-1.jpg

Quote:
Here is my version of the Booger Bench, no lefties in my immediate circle so I made it a righty only.

FinishedBenchfrontview.jpg

Leftsideview.jpg

That's good engineering! My shells are always rolling off the edge, and I did not put any notches for gun rests!

Good job!
Tim

Quote:
Make your own!

SB2.jpg

SB4.jpg

Light, sturdy and less than $100.

I used 1" birch plywood, not 3/4".

Nice claimbuster!

Approximately what degree did you make the angle of the legs come off the bench?

Thanks

A hearty 3rd or 4th vote to make your own, you can make it as stout or light as you like, the 3-leg design is stable, self leveling and solid just about anywhere you'd use it. I improved their design by using carriage bolts thru the top instead of the wood screws they recommended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

http://www.aeroaces.com/bench1.htm

portableshootingtable1.jpg

Back