How many groundhogs for 2009 ?

So far I'm up to 72 for the summer. We just got all our alfalfa fields finally cut due to all this rain and it seems like there are hogs everywhere. Went yesterday for about 5 hours and killed 54. It was a great day...heres a pic of the final result...
39108-R1-10-12A_011.jpg

yeah...pulaski co. I've got about 300 acres of alfalfa. In all actuality, that's only about 1 per every 6 acres. Believe me, there's a lot more than that there. A lot of times I will get 5 to 6 out of one hole when the young ones just keep popping up. Had 2 shots where I killed 2 little ones with one shot. Just let them come up and line up one in front of each other. I mean you're not going to kill that many every day down here but I do about once a year after my first cutting of alfalfa then it slows up some. That's the only way I can keep my alfalfa fields from looking like minefields. They can do a lot of damage and it's no fun hitting one on equipment either....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Holey frijolas Batman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Have gun, will travel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Coyotes must be in short supply in your neck of the woods to have that many groundhogs! I can show you 80 acre alfalfa fields around here with not one single groundhog burrow in the entire field!! There may be a few dens in the fencerows, but that's it!

BRB and I went this evening, and killed nine.BRB got his personal best at 430 lasered yards. I killed a pup that was one yard closer at 429. I got the baby and he got momma /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We had a pretty nice crosswind to contend with too. No pics today.
F1

Quote:
Coyotes must be in short supply in your neck of the woods to have that many groundhogs! I can show you 80 acre alfalfa fields around here with not one single groundhog burrow in the entire field!! There may be a few dens in the fencerows, but that's it!

No Flyrod,Jason has alot of coyotes over where he is from...Ive hunted with Jason and he gets his share of the coyotes too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Some pretty rolling pastures down around Pulaski. Always looked like good chucking down there. That's an awesome haul. I'm still waiting for the rains to stop and the farmer to cut so that I can get after them in the next few weeks.

flyrod, you are stretching the rifle barrels pretty good. I am still stuck on 77 groundhogs for the year so far. I've been stranded with the truck in the shop, computer cluster wiring harness, then the computer hard drive on my CPU was down hard( no truck or computer-boring). All is up and I am ready to get out and do some shooting if the weather will let me tomorrow. Gonna get the 17 Ackley Hornet warmed up

Quote:
Jiminy Christmas, man! Leave some for the rest of us, will ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

that's seriuos stuff there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I think I'm at 13 here. I really hate these No Till bean fields here, they spray weed killer and dead clumps of weeds are brown about like a Chuck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Sadly I only have 2 good hay fields to hunt and they'll show some numbers in July when they're cut

I killed four more this evening, getting my total to 81. It has been a dry spell, with the truck in the shop. I am now waiting on the farmers to get their wheat combined and their late beans into the ground. Early beans are starting to reach that point of nearly impossible to shoot over. Hides the goundhogs to good. As soon as the late beans start poppin up, it's on again. I'll make another hard run before slacking off for the year.

Chad,
One of the patent excuses for not having as many groundhogs as we used to, is that coyotes have moved in and are eating all our groundhogs! I can neither substantiate that theory, nor debunk it, but we darn sure have less groundhogs in this part of VA than we had 30 years ago. We are really lucky to be able to scratch out 8-10 in an evening around here anymore. You guys are truly blessed to have that many groundhogs to shoot! Jason might not feel so lucky, though. He has to put up with all the holes in his fields!
F1

"I'll make another hard run before slacking off for the year."
===============================================
Sonny,
What's this "slack off" talk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif? You're on a roll! When the going gets tough, the tough get going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You might really be able to make that 200. The second 100 admittedly will be much more difficult than the first, but not unattainable! I'm rooting for you....give 'em he!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
F1

F1

It seems every year, someone different on here hits the jackpot and has an exceptionally great year. Mine came a few years back and since then, up till now, it has been average at best. Just glad it was my turn to score big this year and it ain't over yet. I am enjoying it. Got number 82 this morning at 203 yards with nothing but head and shoulders showing above the beans. I got soaked from the heavy dew walking out to range back to where I shot from. Always like to verify by hands on. Neck shot!

That little 17 Ackley Hornet(10X scope) is an amazing rifle, WOW! I love that gun.

Sonny

Well. I did very well last year as I had most of the summer off on inverse layoff. I won't complain this year.

I guess I'm my worst enemy this year as I gave one farmer a old Savage in 223 long action with a 3-9 BDC Prostaff I mounted. I'd loaded up 250 rnds of 50 gr. VMAX for him (shoots very well indeed). He left a call on my answer machine wed. of a yote he popped that evening in the hay field.

Gave an old 870 to another farmers boys for Coon control along with 4 boxes of #4 shot. They promised to not bust Chuck's in the big bean fields out back, LOL.

Quote:
Chad,
One of the patent excuses for not having as many groundhogs as we used to, is that coyotes have moved in and are eating all our groundhogs! I can neither substantiate that theory, nor debunk it, but we darn sure have less groundhogs in this part of VA than we had 30 years ago. We are really lucky to be able to scratch out 8-10 in an evening around here anymore. You guys are truly blessed to have that many groundhogs to shoot! Jason might not feel so lucky, though. He has to put up with all the holes in his fields!
F1

thats a very good point that I've posted here a few years back about dwindling Chuck populations here in N.E. Ohio.

The day's of busting a dozen or so a day like the late 70's is long gone around here.

I've often wondered about this no till farming with the poison weed killer sprayed. Along with all the predator Falcons and Hawk's of late.

One think I can tell you is young pup's are very much an easy target of any predator.

I put on welding gloves and catch them every year when they wonder away from their dens out in the back yard here.

Seems when there pup's they only know the den their born in till momma pushes them out, just get between them and the den. It's about like fielding a groung ball in baseball when they head for the den. I've got a mess of pic's the wife has taken over the years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Made it to number 31 today; 4 yesterday, 7 today.

One thing about MD, I'm probably the only HUMAN groundhog hunter in the northeastern corner of the state. I'm finding it quite easy to acquire hunting ground here as the groundhogs are taking over the soy fields and the farmers don't have time to control them.

The latest farm I acquired has coyotes according to the farmer.

cngerms, I hope you get a chance to take out one of those non-HUMAN groundhog hunters that you mentioned in your last sentence there. Good luck!

Back