How many groundhogs for 2009 ?

Flyrod1

It's that time of year again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif This will be the third year in a row for a running tally thread on our members progress on shooting groundhogs. Keep it going, folks! Let's try to surpass last years responses and pasture poodle totals!
Blueridgeboy and I kicked off our season yesterday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It was 77 degrees with a strong breeze out of the south, but a few groundhogs braved the wind. It cost four of them dearly! Two each for BRB and me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

P3070009.jpg

BRB with his first for the year.
P3070012.jpg

The tailgate shot!
We each missed one at long distances by failing to dope the wind correctly.....but I know where they live, now!

Ante up guys and girls...post your successes and pics of your groundhog exploits. "Woodchucks" count for our Northern members /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
F1

Last year I shot 98 Ground Hogs. My goal this year is 125. However we normally do not start hunting for them until the first cutting of hay. We like to spend too much time on the lake fishing for Crappie. My freezer is empty, so the Crappie level must be brought up first. I also do not like to shoot ground hogs if they have young in the holes. IMO that is a bit cruel. However only a bit, because I do try to get out a few times while Crappie season is in. Tom.

Guess what Flyrod and Hogghead:

The western rock chuck and eastern groundhog are different species.

And, where the multiple western rock chucks will sit still or come instantly back out (5-10 seconds) when one of the colony is felled by a bullet, the eastern woodchuck will not sit still or come right back out; they may not exit theeir hole for hours or until the next day..

So, comparing harvest totals on the two is misguided as the game and tactics are very different. The rockchuck hunter can shoot 20 in an hour and the eastern woodchuck hunter can only shoot ones he can find and hit with typically the first (and only) shot. You may get a second shot an hour or two later, or tomorrow, or next week,

A comparison of the two game challenges is apples and oranges. So, read up on it, do it (hunt both types to know what you are talking about) then tell it like it is.

Buckeye, our chucks aren't like woodchucks but they aren't that dumb. They may sit still for 1-3 shots but after that they will run and/or stay down in their holes for 5-10 minutes, sometimes longer. You really need a large population to kill 20 rockchucks in an hour

BS,
This isn't a contest, there are no prizes, and I know the difference between Western marmots and their Eastern cousins! I've killed plenty of both, but no rockchucks since I left Colorado in '68.
Our Western members are certainly welcome to add their tallies and pictures and stories to this thread....it will only make it better! There are no comparisons to be drawn, it's all for fun, that's why we do it.
BS, you seem to have a penchant for whizzing on other's parades, methods, equipment, and etc. If you can't contribute in the spirit of this thread, why not start your own, and stay away from this one.
F1

Quote:
Guess what Flyrod and Hogghead:

The western rock chuck and eastern groundhog are different species.

And, where the multiple western rock chucks will sit still or come instantly back out (5-10 seconds) when one of the colony is felled by a bullet, the eastern woodchuck will not sit still or come right back out; they may not exit theeir hole for hours or until the next day..

So, comparing harvest totals on the two is misguided as the game and tactics are very different. The rockchuck hunter can shoot 20 in an hour and the eastern woodchuck hunter can only shoot ones he can find and hit with typically the first (and only) shot. You may get a second shot an hour or two later, or tomorrow, or next week,

A comparison of the two game challenges is apples and oranges. So, read up on it, do it (hunt both types to know what you are talking about) then tell it like it is.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about?? This thread is about Ground hogs. If you look at our areas it is clear to see that we are in the east?? No one even mentioned Rock Chucks?? And no one compared "game challenges"-so what are you talking about?? I think you misread something, or you must be reading something into the post that is not there?? Tom.

Flyrod1 it looks like you are off to a good start.I am starting to see a few popping out around our area. I got permission for a new place I hope to try it out soon. Good luck, BenG76

Well, I got the first miss out of the way the other day anyhow.

Alright Flyrod, I see those dadgum Lightforce tackleboxes in the back of that truck. You're spotlighting those groundhogs, ain't ya? I knew you was a low down scoundrel that would do anything to win the new Groundhog Pro Caller GX5! Where do I sign up for this here contest? LOL

You're killin' me here!

Sonny,
Right now it's little piggies during the daylight, and big piggies after dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We're not done with calling canines, either!
The secret's out.....I've been in cahoots with Steve on the new groundhog caller. Havn't worked all the bugs out yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
F1

Shot my first of the year at 176 yards. Also shot right under one at 309, and shot right over one at 250 when i failed to estimate the range correctly since i didnt have my range finder at the moment.

Added one this afternoon, 326 lasered yards with the 204. Held easily eight inches off the hog, into the wind, to make the connection. Neat thing about the 204 is being able to see the hog being hit and the satisfying surrender "tail salute" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
F1

took my pops and his brand-new .17hmr out the other day, he got his first blood and a few more, and i popped 6 er so. not bad for an hour and a half. we spent more time goofin off on the Rhino than anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
they have only showed up in the last week or to so here in a month er so we'll be poundin em hard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hey guys!
Just checkin' in to say that I saw & missed my 1st hog of the year also. 285yds with the .223 and just couldn't connect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It sure was GREAT to see one out though! There was still drifted snow 50yds from his hole!

WELCOME to the board, BEN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Hey Flyrod:

Flyrod, sorry I din't get the spirit of your thread...I guess I thought the "spirit" was getting it (hunting) accurately portrayed for the new, young hunters [kids at al] who come to this site to learn and be entertained simultaneously.

If the thread is "...all for fun" why not post on a cartoon site?

I don't have a problem with starting my own thread; I am inclined to fix this one first....

Back