A question of case management???

Quote:
I have my Lyman manual in the bathroom......I've read it 25x over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's hilarious...my new Hornady manual is sitting in the bathroom as we speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Quote:
So what is the common denominator with these problems??

Lack of knowledge and/or experience and or operator error.

- DAA

Agreed...

But since knowledge/experience means different things to different people, I would list "understanding" above all else.

I know a couple guys that have been reloading for quite some and know enough to assemble loads. If you were to ask them they would tell you they have been reloading for many years (they have) for all their various calibers (which in their mind covers knowledge and experience). The truth of it is they really know little beyond screwing dies into a press, priming, charging and seating the bullet... they also know that if you turn the necks, weigh every charge, seat bullet just off lands etc. you will magically turn your rifle into a tackdriver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...usually when they have a problem with a load they blame the gun, the powder, the primer...but they're never very certain of the cause or able to diagnose it... but they'll be first in line to give out reloading advice lol.

It seems for some that it is more important to participate on a open forum then to understand what it is they are talking about.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- DAA

Agreed...

But since knowledge/experience means different things to different people, I would list "understanding" above all else.

I know a couple guys that have been reloading for quite some and know enough to assemble loads. If you were to ask them they would tell you they have been reloading for many years (they have) for all their various calibers (which in their mind covers knowledge and experience). The truth of it is they really know little beyond screwing dies into a press, priming, charging and seating the bullet... they also know that if you turn the necks, weigh every charge, seat bullet just off lands etc. you will magically turn your rifle into a tackdriver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...usually when they have a problem with a load they blame the gun, the powder, the primer...but they're never very certain of the cause or able to diagnose it... but they'll be first in line to give out reloading advice lol.

It seems for some that it is more important to participate on a open forum then to understand what it is they are talking about.

Your friends are 'reloaders' and not 'handloaders', like I said there is a difference.

Quote:

...I think it is a problem of how folks manage their cases, how they set up their dies, and all the rest of that stuff.

...So what is the common denominator with these problems?? I never have them and a LOT of other guys never have them...

I sure don't know! But there sure is a pattern here.

I agree much of the problems reloaders are having is case manegement. That is the one component we constantly reuse. I believe resizing/working the brass the minimum amount would go a long way in solving many reloaders problems.

Lets say a guy buy RCBS dies and uses them on say a forrester coax press. The RCBS dies will certainly work if one is using a rcbs shell holder, but is it going to be close on the coax? Do Redding presses have the same shell holder design as RCBS? If it is different, it may cause the RCBS size die to overwork or underwork the brass even when adjusted according to the RCBS directions.

I have the RCBS precision mic for most of my calibers that I shoot. A 308 mic covers my 243 and 308 brass. My 3006 precision mic covers my 2506. If used properly, you can set you dies so you are working your brass enough but not to much.

With that said, I reload for more than one AR. Because of this, I have my size die set to push the shoulder back to .001-.002 under sammi max. This causes my brass to be worked more, and I'm well aware that I have to check my brass for seperation in this caliber a whole lot more than other calibers where I only load for one gun. I could get longer brass life if I segregated my brass for each rifle and only pushed the sholder back enought to go into battery properly. Even working this brass as hard as I have, I know I got some brass that has been reloaded 15 times and still going.

Another area to watch closely is bullet seating and case crimping. Reloaders need to know how to adjust for OAL and be sure to not over crimp. Don't ask me how I know that. I only crimp for pistol and my 375HH.

The common denominator is THE LACK OF EXPERIENCE AND MAYBE THE LACK OF PROPER EQUIPMENT IN SOME INSTANCES.

Quote:
"... Lets say a guy buy RCBS dies and uses them on say a forrester coax press. The RCBS dies will certainly work if one is using a rcbs shell holder, but is it going to be close on the coax? Do Redding presses have the same shell holder design as RCBS? If it is different, it may cause the RCBS size die to overwork or underwork the brass even when adjusted according to the RCBS directions.

ALL shell holders will work with ALL dies - it is an industry standard that the depth of a shell holder is 0.125" +/-0.001".

This is why you can use anyone's shell holder with anyone else's dies - I mix them all the time.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- DAA

Agreed...

Your friends are 'reloaders' and not 'handloaders', like I said there is a difference.

Oh yeah, try telling them that.

As I said, knowledge and experience mean different things to different people.

These forums are full of reloading experts with relatively little understanding beyond the basics...they just don't realize it. They're also full of predator hunting experts that never seem to actually go out and hunt (or post anything to make you believe they ever did). The internet has allowed them to become an authority on something they might, or might not of been successful at in real life...who knows and who cares.

It's just what you deal with on an open forum...everyone has an opinion and it should be taken with a grain of salt. The people who actually do know something about this stuff can recognize what is good info vs. the crap.

I think that you guys who mentioned that people are using "instant gratification of al gores internet" as a substitute for time spent actually just reading a loading manual are on to something.

Here's a quote of a post I came across today on another forum.

Quote:
I am looking to start reloading for my remington sps. It is chambered in 22-250. I have never tried to make a load for any rifle to get the best groups out of it. I have mostly loaded pistol shells until now. I was wondering what is the process to finding the best load for my rifle? Do I choose one bullet, or several? How much do I go up or down on powder at a time? I have about 140 hornady cases that I have shot through it. Is hornady brass ok for precision shooting? Also what is the longest range I should expect to get with a 22-250 accurately. And what kind of accuracy is considered good at that range? Sorry for the newbie questions, but I can't find anything on this by searching on the forum.

EVERYTHING asked by the poster in the above quote can be answered if the guy took the time to crack open a loading manual and READ it. I think the last sentence in his post sums it up handily.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- DAA

Agreed...

These forums are full of reloading experts with relatively little understanding beyond the basics...they just don't realize it. They're also full of predator hunting experts that never seem to actually go out and hunt (or post anything to make you believe they ever did). The internet has allowed them to become an authority on something they might, or might not of been successful at in real life...who knows and who cares.

It's just what you deal with on an open forum...everyone has an opinion and it should be taken with a grain of salt. The people who actually do know something about this stuff can recognize what is good info vs. the crap.

I think this whole post really both says a lot and touches upon a LOT of truths. ESPECIALLY the last sentence........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
Quote:
"... Lets say a guy buy RCBS dies and uses them on say a forrester coax press. The RCBS dies will certainly work if one is using a rcbs shell holder, but is it going to be close on the coax? Do Redding presses have the same shell holder design as RCBS? If it is different, it may cause the RCBS size die to overwork or underwork the brass even when adjusted according to the RCBS directions.

ALL shell holders will work with ALL dies - it is an industry standard that the depth of a shell holder is 0.125" +/-0.001".

This is why you can use anyone's shell holder with anyone else's dies - I mix them all the time.

I'm glad to hear this Catshooter. I've always wondered if this could be an issue or not, and I've never seen anything in print about it. I have two presses and use RCBS, Hornandy, Redding and Dillon dies. When I first started reloading, I simply used the directions. After getting into autoloaders, I purchased case gauges to set my dies. That was a real improvement. When I first saw the RCBS precision mic, I bought one for 30/06. When I saw how that could be used, I decided it was my tool of choice whenever I could afford one. You can accurately set your dies to provide ease of chambering without over working the brass. You can also infer what you headspace is on a gun. It isn't a direct measurement, but it does give you an idea. They are one of those tools like the Lyman M die. You don't know how much you like having them until you do have them.

BTW: After reading that I just had to go check the shell holder depth for a RCBS shell holder and a Dillon case plate. You were right on as usual.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think that you guys who mentioned that people are using "instant gratification of al gores internet" as a substitute for time spent actually just reading a loading manual are on to something.

Here's a quote of a post I came across today on another forum.

Quote:
I am looking to start reloading for my remington sps. It is chambered in 22-250. I have never tried to make a load for any rifle to get the best groups out of it. I have mostly loaded pistol shells until now. I was wondering what is the process to finding the best load for my rifle? Do I choose one bullet, or several? How much do I go up or down on powder at a time? I have about 140 hornady cases that I have shot through it. Is hornady brass ok for precision shooting? Also what is the longest range I should expect to get with a 22-250 accurately. And what kind of accuracy is considered good at that range? Sorry for the newbie questions, but I can't find anything on this by searching on the forum.

EVERYTHING asked by the poster in the above quote can be answered if the guy took the time to crack open a loading manual and READ it. I think the last sentence in his post sums it up handily.

Yup, nailed that on the first page of this thread. You get to the point ya just dont want to answer the questions anymore. Then maybe they would do a little reading for their own good.

"It's just what you deal with on an open forum...everyone has an opinion and it should be taken with a grain of salt. The people who actually do know something about this stuff can recognize what is good info vs. the crap. "

Tonoper: This last sentence says it all. I know I'm no expert at this stuff because I don't make a living at it. You don't become an expert at any of this stuff if you simply work at predator calling, shooting, and fishing a weekend or two per month. At least that is all I can get in with family demands and all. But I've been doing this for a long time, and I can recognise the chaf from the wheat. For the most part, most of the guys that give advice are a lot like me. No expert, but experienced enough to tell you what they have learned. It is up to the reader to decide weather it is good advice or bad advice.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- DAA

Agreed...

I think this whole post really both says a lot and touches upon a LOT of truths. ESPECIALLY the last sentence........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I don't have anything to add here. I just wondered how many quotes in a quote this thing can handle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- DAA

Agreed...

I don't have anything to add here. I just wondered how many quotes in a quote this thing can handle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The limit is when there is no room left for the first quote in the very center.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- DAA

Agreed...

I just wanted to see what it looked like on the reply page!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- DAA

Agreed...

this is fun!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- DAA

Agreed...

this is fun!!!

What he said...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- DAA

Agreed...

this is fun!!!

What he said...

I like bacon.

- DAA

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- DAA

Agreed...

this is fun!!!

What he said...

I like bacon.

- DAA

Do any of you gent's need about 5000 once fired small rifle primers, I'm going to list them for sale but thought I would ask here first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back