Speer 70 gr TNT

Va243hntr

Has anyone used these in 243 ? Just bought some and was wondering about them . It was either these or a 100 nosler partition which I know has proven itself. These will be used for groundhawgs and yotes gonna load some rounds for testing this eve while I got the time . Thanks yall

42gr. Varget (max in Speer manual) with the 70 TNT really makes my M70 fwt. perk. I've killed a couple yotes with it without too much damage. The TNTs used to be fairly reasonable in the bulk packs, not so much anymore.

i used to use'em in 6br and they're accurate&great on coyotes. i then started play'n with nosler BT 55grn & hornady 58 grn vmax's &those lighter pills are great as well.try the TNT's but don't overlook the 55's & 58's.get what you can!

They are a very accurate bullet, indeed. I used 44.0-44.5g of Win 760 or AA2700 with a Fed 210 primer on P. dogs.

39.0+ of IMR 4064 was also very accurate.

47.0g of IMR 4350 with a Win Primer shoots tiny holes in two of my 243's(max load, work up to it).

Good luck on those hogs and yotes!

You know, I don't think Speer makes a bad TNT bullet for any caliber. I use them in 22, 25 and 7mm and they all are the most accurate bullets tested.

I am about to give some of your recommendations a try. I noticed on the box it says intendeded for velocities to 3400 FPS. Is that why you stopped at 40 grains of varget CO Pete?

you can drive'em faster.the 50TNT says similiar but i've loaded'em to 3600-3800 & they don't come apart til impact.re:70TNT -depending on vel & range & area impacted they perform as any other major cup&lead bullet.
every barrel is diff.....i have a 4 digit s/n ruger #1 in 22/250 that ONLY shoots the 50grn TNT.....and i do mean ONLY.

Last edited:
I did not chrono these but the 70g TNT shot out of a 26" barrel with 46.5g of IMR 4350 should be pushing 3,600 FPS. No exit wounds.

Last edited:
If, while load testing you got consistent half inch groups with them running at 3200 fps and consistent half inch groups running at 3500 fps, which load would you pick for the best chance of exploding inside the coyote vs chancing more splashing entrance wounds?

Good question..

NORMALLY, the higher impact velocity will have a more violent upset and less penetration than the lower velocity especially on the TNT bullet. Keep in mind though that any larger fragments will also have more penetration potential at the higher velocity. That being said the TNT, according to Speer, is designed for total disruption upon impact.

I just looked at an open box of 6mm 70g TNT. There are no warnings on the outside of the box, but on the inside was an insert saying "not recommended for rifles having twists quicker than 1 turn in 9 inches". "Do not exceed velocities of 3,550 feet per second".

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Whales bales, we shot buckets of them out of long barreled 243AI's with a throttled back load of Win 760, Rem brass, with cci-250 primer at 3850...bug hole groups...twelve twist Hart 30" hart barrels.

I have to say that they were exit holes on the p.dogs that we shot. The jackrabbits seemed to have an exit hole somewhere, also.

Back