Burl ID help!!!

TNYotehntr

I went out "Burl hunting" with a buddy today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Forgot my Audubon field guide when we went. Cut these burls off and I'm having trouble identifying the type of tree. These 2 are from the same tree I'm showing inside and out. It was in the woods so couldn't do the "leaf" thing. (may have to go back in the spring) I'm thinking some type of oak. Thought I'd see if ya'll could give a hand. Thanks!
Brad
3-6-9-ID-002.jpg

3-6-9-ID-003.jpg

3-6-9-ID-004.jpg

3-6-9-ID-005.jpg

I'm going to go with duckbait on this one and guess some kind of apple. Bark looks more like apple bark than any oak I remember from my time back East. But that was forty years ago.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I too am in agreeance with the apple. However, I don't believe those are burls. They appear to be branch pruning/wound heal overs. You'll know for sure once you cut it. Apple burl along with any other burl usually does not carry the same features as the tree bark. Most burls will have the appearance of a big ole wart. Real ruff and course with no real bark on them. There are a few species exceptions. Apple is not one of them. Looks like the butt of the tree??? If so, chances are there should be some nice curl. I recommend drying as is or cut up into the sizes you are going to use and anchorseal the shitttttt out of it. Be patient with the drying. Do it slow!!!!! If you dry it as is, be sure to anchorseal all cut surfaces. Apple is probably top 3 of the hardest woods to dry. I have sawn many an apple tree and have yet to have one board that did not check somewhere. I have asked experts from around the country, with no explanations; except "It's the nature of the beast"!!! Poke and hope!

Good luck
Pete

I don't know about the apple. I went out with Brad today on some lease property. This was in the woods in a creek bottom. There are no apple trees there as I would have noticed apples in the fall. The tree was growing right on the creek bank amongst hackberries, sycamores, some poplars and few other hardwoods aned scattered cedar. I just got it it my head though that it may be a gum? I had been thinking a type of oak but not sure now. I know gums like the bottom land. Might try to get a pic of the tree if somebody on here doesn't crear it up.

Looks like Poison Ivy to me!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I just cut down my apple tree 2 days ago and it looks exactly the same. I am drying it for smoking wood for some tasty bbq.

Sorry for the stupid question but what is Burl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif. This whole time I thought it was a type of wood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Whatever it is you guys can sure make it look good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Looks like some stuff we had down in Georgia called sweet gum. I don't know if that's the technical name or not. Did you notice any seed pods laying around that look real spiny.....kinda like a small sea urchin?

Quote:
Sorry for the stupid question but what is Burl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif. This whole time I thought it was a type of wood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Whatever it is you guys can sure make it look good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Here's a link complete with photos.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...page=0#52348272

Good call on the Sweet Gum(Liquidambar). Although the bark does not look like I remember (it really looks like apple bark to me--and I've pruned a gazillion of 'em). Sweet Gum can grow 60 feet or more (very narrow and upright compared to other Easten hardwoods) and tolerates damp soil well. The interior wood on this specimen is dark, the outer wood is white--definitely an applewood trait. Somebody (duckbait?) mentioned Hackberry in the area. If what you guys call Hackberry is what I think it is --it would be a tree similar to an Elm(do you guys have any Elm left back there?). Growth of Hackberry would be smaller than Elm which it is related to. If it is indeed Hackberry the wood could also exhibit the characteristics of the specimen shown. Really Hard to tell without pictures of the tree and a leaf sample(look around under the tree for a whole lot of last years leaves that all look the same and post a picture. We can probably narrow it down from there for you. By the way, Backforty2 is correct--that is not what is commonly refered to as Burl--it is indeed a product of the tree growing out over a staub/broken branch and will not exhibit the same grain characteristics of Burl. It will however have some pretty grain patterns in it. Burl wood is formed when a tree gets a sort of tumor in it kinda like a cancerous tumor--the cells go crazy and grow in all kinds of abnormal directions. Also the don't normally have alot of rot inside of them as this specimen does. They are usually found on the main trunks of trees but not always. Sometimes the are formed on branches as a result of some type of burrowing insect--the tree tries to grow around the area the insect is irritating. This is all probably more than you really wanted to know--I just wanted to help out and give some insights on what to look for in the way of Burl wood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm fairly certain it's not an apple tree. I am certain it's not Hackberry. I did wonder if it was a "grow over" still not certain of it though. If worse comes to worse I guess I can ship a small piece to the forestry to have identified. With the variety of answers if I can't go back to the tree and make a sure id I will. I know most have the odd starburst type of bark, but not all. Cedar jumps to mind right off. Thank you for all the input! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'd have to guess it's apple from the rings and soft outer layers. I just don't recall ever seeing Poison Ivy growing on an apple tree like that... Cool looking wood anyway!

In some ways it resembles a Sweet Gum, too. You will need to see the leaves or seeds to tell for sure.

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Back